Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combo League Results - 4/2/17

Results
Saturday 4th February 2017
Goonhavern Athletic (Paul Robertson) 1-1 Illogan RBL Reserves (Simon Carter)
Att- 37
Hayle (Cameron Irish 3, Liam Mooney, Kane Williams) 5-2 Newquay Reserves (Darren Willis 2) 
Att- 30
Helston Athletic Reserves P-P Perranporth 
Penryn Athletic Reserves P-P St Just 
Perranwell P-P Porthleven Reserves
St Agnes P-P Mullion 
St Day (Bryan Hawke) 1-1 Carharrack (Jake Shaw)
Att- 61
St Ives Town (Scott Goodchild, Joe Day) 2-3 Ludgvan (Ross Badcock 2, Gerens James)
Att- 55

Supplementary Cup
Preliminary Round
Falmouth Town Reserves P-P Redruth United
Holman SC P-P RNAS Culdrose

Buzzing to watch St Day v Carharrack at Vogue Park after a cracking game at Carharrack in the recent festive fixture. I think it's going to be a real battle with Carharrack just edging it. I just feel they have that little extra quality that perhaps St Day don't. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the game. Always enjoy going to watch a game at St Day. Cracking facilities.

4 hours ago, JENGLE said:

Buzzing to watch St Day v Carharrack at Vogue Park after a cracking game at Carharrack in the recent festive fixture. I think it's going to be a real battle with Carharrack just edging it. I just feel they have that little extra quality that perhaps St Day don't. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the game. Always enjoy going to watch a game at St Day. Cracking facilities.

You were right Jengle Carharrack do have that little extra quality ,the linesman chown.

6 minutes ago, winston said:

Once again, the carharrack linesman earns his side a point. Flagging a late st day winner, offside, incorrectly.

other teams and referees, be aware of this!

I suppose you're not going to mention the fact that Carharrack had both first choice centre backs out, Ed wilton came off injured after 25 minutes, St days goal keeper hand balled it miles outside of his box at the start of the second half and you still could win? 

11 minutes ago, winston said:

Once again, the carharrack linesman earns his side a point. Flagging a late st day winner, offside, incorrectly.

other teams and referees, be aware of this!

Ah let me guess, Carharrack are top of the league because of their linesman!? I spoke to referee after the game and he said it was clearly offside and would've stopped the game had the linesman not flagged. With the new laws, flag should be raised when the player touches the ball, yet people still moan about a 'late flag'. 

In regards to the match going ahead in the first place, do you think St Day would've had the game on had hey been playing anyone else other than the league leaders? Everyone in attendance could see the pitch was in no state to be played, including the ref who considered calling it off 10 minutes in but that would've let so many down wouldn't it!? Anything to minimise Carharracks ability to play. Shame,  would've liked to see the two go at it on a decent pitch towards the end of the season. Game shouldn't have been played but from a neutrals point wasn't a bad game to watch, despite the lack of any quality. Interesting to see the boy Sims from Godolphin playing at centre half for Carharrack! 

1 minute ago, Luke dehaan said:

Bit disrespectful to Carharrack who are doing brilliantly to be fighting for the title yet other clubs seem to think that all of that is down to a linesman.

Shame the lino was on the phone texting or tweeting at the time as he was most of the game !! There was an appeal and surprise surprise up went the flag phone still in hand a bloody disgrace !!!  

6 minutes ago, chubbs284 said:

Shame the lino was on the phone texting or tweeting at the time as he was most of the game !! There was an appeal and surprise surprise up went the flag phone still in hand a bloody disgrace !!!  

We need technology in the game

2 minutes ago, Andys said:

Ring ring, ring ring, .........who's calling? It's the bench, get that bloody flag up quick!

Bloody hell now that would be a late flag wouldn't it lol hats off to the club volunteers that have to put up with idiots like this more often than not! 

23 minutes ago, COYG said:

Ah let me guess, Carharrack are top of the league because of their linesman!? I spoke to referee after the game and he said it was clearly offside and would've stopped the game had the linesman not flagged. With the new laws, flag should be raised when the player touches the ball, yet people still moan about a 'late flag'. 

In regards to the match going ahead in the first place, do you think St Day would've had the game on had hey been playing anyone else other than the league leaders? Everyone in attendance could see the pitch was in no state to be played, including the ref who considered calling it off 10 minutes in but that would've let so many down wouldn't it!? Anything to minimise Carharracks ability to play. Shame,  would've liked to see the two go at it on a decent pitch towards the end of the season. Game shouldn't have been played but from a neutrals point wasn't a bad game to watch, despite the lack of any quality. Interesting to see the boy Sims from Godolphin playing at centre half for Carharrack! 

New law says you flag when the player becomes 'active' or 'interferes with play', he doesn't have to play the ball, but agree it does lead to late flags which frustrates players. Better to go back to the old rule, if a player's in an offside position in the opposition half when the ball is played, he's offside, end of. There's still a lot of linos in the league who play to the old rule. When the Well went to St Day last, the ref called it off an hour before the match and the weather had been nowhere near as bad as the last few days. All we ask for is consistency!

5 minutes ago, Andys said:

New law says you flag when the player becomes 'active' or 'interferes with play', he doesn't have to play the ball, but agree it does lead to late flags which frustrates players. Better to go back to the old rule, if a player's in an offside position in the opposition half when the ball is played, he's offside, end of. There's still a lot of linos in the league who play to the old rule. When the Well went to St Day last, the ref called it off an hour before the match and the weather had been nowhere near as bad as the last few days. All we ask for is consistency!

Correct, was as if the ref didn't want to call it off after everyone was already there, but the rain that came down around 1pm should've meant it was a no brainer 

2 minutes ago, COYG said:

Correct, was as if the ref didn't want to call it off after everyone was already there, but the rain that came down around 1pm should've meant it was a no brainer 

To be fair don't think either side wanted to play in those conditions ref said game on so both sets of players got on with it which was  a credit to both teams  well done to all . Great game for the neutral well worth ,£2 

16 minutes ago, Andys said:

Ring ring, ring ring, .........who's calling? It's the bench, get that bloody flag up quick!

It's disappointing that people hide behind a computer screen or their phone. If it wasn't for people volunteering week in week out we would not have enough officials/linesman to play games every week. It was a difficult game to play in with the atrocious conditions. Im very surprised it went ahead, nothing was said about the St day goalkeeper handballing it outside the box. Why didn't the St day linesman not flag for that?? Grow a backbone and appreciate the people for giving up their time on a weekend so we can play football.

2 minutes ago, chubbs284 said:

To be fair don't think either side wanted to play in those conditions ref said game on so both sets of players got on with it which was  a credit to both teams  well done to all . Great game for the neutral well worth ,£2 

Agreed, no player would want to play on a pitch like that. Ruins it! Bit of common sense from the referee needed 

Are we making today's players into a bunch of mamby pambies? Years ago if you go through the records very few games, if any were called off. Has the weather got worse, not really, in fact I can't remember since the mid-80's having bad snow like we did in the 60's. Pitches were rougher then, granted, because they were played on in any condition. The game is faster, players are fitter nowadays, but but it makes you wonder how they would cope against one of the better sides from yesteryear. Yes today's players would probably run rings around players from the 30 years ago, but given a wet, muddy pitch with some good tackles going in then I'd plump for a team from the old days.

57 minutes ago, chubbs284 said:

How times change.

I remember a certain Mr Caddy running the line for a game Penzance were playing in, I think against Holmans. A very dull and boring game. During a break in play, he got out his packet of rolling baccy and started to make a ciggy. The ref spotted it and sent him off. Nowadays a lino can look at his phone all game? Surely not.

16 minutes ago, Football is life said:

It's disappointing that people hide behind a computer screen or their phone. If it wasn't for people volunteering week in week out we would not have enough officials/linesman to play games every week. It was a difficult game to play in with the atrocious conditions. Im very surprised it went ahead, nothing was said about the St day goalkeeper handballing it outside the box. Why didn't the St day linesman not flag for that?? Grow a backbone and appreciate the people for giving up their time on a weekend so we can play football.

Lighten up, I run the line every week, our match was off today, but a lino on the phone during the game, there's no excuse!

St Day 1, Carharrack 1.

So I'm a bit late with my observations.

With Truro off I got to St Day at 20 past 2 with the rain teeming down. The teams came out and the game began. After certain goals were denied at both ends in the opening minutes by the heavy conditions preventing the ball rolling very far the game settled to a dismal opening half hour. I was up on the balcony, cold in the wind and wondering what I was doing there! Then the rain stopped - then the sky cleared so I headed off to the touchline just in time to see the opening goal by Bryan Hawke on 35 minutes. Thereafter St Day's confidence increased and they finished the half on the ascendancy. In the 2nd half they continued to be the most likely to score and I couldn't see how Carharrack were going to get anything. They had tried to play their pretty football on an increasingly difficult surface. St Day had adapted far better to the conditions. Then somehow, as often happens in a game, Carharrack began to look more positive and had a bit of a purple patch. They forced several corners and from one of them Jake Shaw headed home the equaliser (55). Then it all kicked off with both sides playing as if they realised they could win; so end-to-end stuff, tackles flying in, near misses, great saves and blocks - I realised I was now enjoying the afternoon, glad I was there!

Yes, I thought the St Day 'keeper had handled outside the area; no, I thought the pitch playable - Billy Chown and I agreed that "in our day" such a pitch wouldn't have been given a second thought (remember the pitch that Hereford beat Newcastle on yonks ago?); the Ref, Ian Roberts (for, yes, it was really him!) handled the game sensibly, overlooking one or two tackles that looked mad until you took the conditions into account and allowing for the fact that no-one got hurt; the groundsman, who I met, had done a brilliant job getting the pitch ready but faces a nightmare to repair it for next Saturday; both 'keepers were outstanding, outstanding (written twice deliberately); tea and coffee were 70p (not too bad). No-one should criticise a Club linesman unless they have tried to do the job themselves. Anyone who hasn't - just shut up! The draw was a just result but as I left I overheard a couple of St Day regulars declaring it was "2 points lost" - fair enough.

After a dubious beginning it turned out to be a cracking local derby - but Ludgvan have hauled back 2 points....

1 hour ago, Luke dehaan said:

Bit disrespectful to Carharrack who are doing brilliantly to be fighting for the title yet other clubs seem to think that all of that is down to a linesman.

It's not aimed at there whole season, they deserve to be top, it's aimed because he flagged offside top disallow a goal in the previous meeting of the two teams.

1 hour ago, COYG said:

The ref said it was playable that's why it was on, also carharrack chose to play the first time they met on a very soft pitch in the first meeting so would that have minimised there own chances.

16 minutes ago, willy7 said:

It's not aimed at there whole season, they deserve to be top, it's aimed because he flagged offside top disallow a goal in the previous meeting of the two teams.

The ref said it was playable that's why it was on, also carharrack chose to play the first time they met on a very soft pitch in the first meeting so would that have minimised there own chances.

When they met  at Ting Tang on boxing day the pitch was just as bad very. Very soft so can't see what all the fuss is about good sides adapt to all conditions  so let's move on fellas 

Caraharrack deserve to be were they are nobody is knocking that and as for the pitch it was fine to play on, the issue was the rain that was forecasted near kick off, yes the surface got bad but the ref deemed it safe and nobody got hurt. The disallowed goal is more of a concern seeing the same lino done the same thing in the first meeting, even two very respected combo players who were in line side it was clearly on side. I know we appreciate linesmen and women who do this voluntary but when you love one club and dislike another your going to get bias people. I just hope Mr Chown just got it wrong AGAIN!

31 minutes ago, willy7 said:

Caraharrack deserve to be were they are nobody is knocking that and as for the pitch it was fine to play on, the issue was the rain that was forecasted near kick off, yes the surface got bad but the ref deemed it safe and nobody got hurt. The disallowed goal is more of a concern seeing the same lino done the same thing in the first meeting, even two very respected combo players who were in line side it was clearly on side. I know we appreciate linesmen and women who do this voluntary but when you love one club and dislike another your going to get bias people. I just hope Mr Chown just got it wrong AGAIN!

Leopard and spots spring to mind !!! ?,?

Regarding yesterday's match, at the start of the match, the pitch was in equal if not better condition, than the reverse fixture on Boxing Day and both teams were happy to play.

Yes, carharrack were missing a centre half, in Nick Boase and Ed Wilton went off after missing an open goal, but ex pro jared sims, wasn't a bad addition to their line up yesterday.

St Day had 4 missing, including regular centre half, Harry James and forward, Liam Paddock.

Unfortunately I didn't see the supposed handball by our keeper, as I missed it, probably when I was in the next field, fetching 4 balls from a gorse bush, once again.

Regarding the goal that wasn't offside,  the ref wasn't in a position to and wasn't going to call it. There was a 50/50 between Chris Dobson and a carharrack player, 35 yards from goal. The ball ricocheted, towards the carharrack 18 yard box, with myself running from 3 yards behind the 50/50, then taking 2 touches on a slippery pitch, before reaching the 18 yard box, at which point, I was active and apparently interfering with play, yet the flag was not raised. Only after my third touch (a shot), from the edge of the box and the ball ending up in the net, did the flag go up.

Either way, decent game in difficult conditions and a game we should have won, prior to this contentious decision.

15 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Pitches were rougher then, granted, because they were played on in any condition. The game is faster, players are fitter nowadays, but but it makes you wonder how they would cope against one of the better sides from yesteryear. 

One major difference though. Many of today's players are a bit lacking in the 'between the ears' department as soon as they step on the pitch!!

52 minutes ago, Rob Hosking said:

Regarding yesterday's match, at the start of the match, the pitch was in equal if not better condition, than the reverse fixture on Boxing Day and both teams were happy to play.

Yes, carharrack were missing a centre half, in Nick Boase and Ed Wilton went off after missing an open goal, but ex pro jared sims, wasn't a bad addition to their line up yesterday.

St Day had 4 missing, including regular centre half, Harry James and forward, Liam Paddock.

Unfortunately I didn't see the supposed handball by our keeper, as I missed it, probably when I was in the next field, fetching 4 balls from a gorse bush, once again.

Regarding the goal that wasn't offside,  the ref wasn't in a position to and wasn't going to call it. There was a 50/50 between Chris Dobson and a carharrack player, 35 yards from goal. The ball ricocheted, towards the carharrack 18 yard box, with myself running from 3 yards behind the 50/50, then taking 2 touches on a slippery pitch, before reaching the 18 yard box, at which point, I was active and apparently interfering with play, yet the flag was not raised. Only after my third touch (a shot), from the edge of the box and the ball ending up in the net, did the flag go up.

Either way, decent game in difficult conditions and a game we should have won, prior to this contentious decision.

Interesting that you 'didn't' your goalkeeper hand ball it but you managed to see everything else it seems

5 minutes ago, Luke dehaan said:

Interesting that you 'didn't' your goalkeeper hand ball it but you managed to see everything else it seems

He saw the offside as he was involved in it from reading what he said but hasn't mentioned anything else during the game so how can you draw the conclusion he saw everything else?

1 hour ago, Rob Hosking said:

So taking what you say, if you started a move towards the ball, that's the moment you became 'active', so even if you had been in an offside position when the ball ricocheted off the last man, this is when it should have been flagged and then most definitely when you took your first touch, but from what you say there was no excuse for a flag after you shot. Unfortunately we see it all the time. To give the lino the benefit of the doubt, refs always tell us to wait with the flag and be certain that we make the right decision, virtually every game the ref will say before kick off "I prefer a late flag, let the play develop", it's a bit of a no win situation sometimes. As I said earlier, under the old rule if a player was offside when the ball was played you flagged, no waiting to become 'active' or 'interfering', rules don't always change for the better.

16 hours ago, COYG said:

Maybe he's got a stop watch going!!

Done that myself left my watch at home and used my phone , when I could work out how the app worked .  Look each week we seem to blame an official for results going against our clubs be it Lino's ( been there ) or refs  why don't we get back to blaming the players / managers for their failings , one official against 22 players on the park , all our clubs have had descions go for and against us  , who amongst us have come away from a game and say we got away with that be it a penalty  or red card which should have been awarded against your team?  This is football club Lino's are volunteers not paid , there seems to be a bit of a forum bashing at present for Lino's , if any posters can do a better job Volunteer get off your backsides away from your keyboards  put something back into our sport . Yesterday was not a nice afternoon for weather hats off to all the club Lino's for turning out  , have meet most of them  and the majority are good blokes trying to help out their clubs not there to mess up anyone's game but to go out and enjoy the game win lose or draw ,  a final point any team at the top of the league are there for a reason because they are better than everyone else .

4 minutes ago, Andys said:

So taking what you say, if you started a move towards the ball, that's the moment you became 'active', so even if you had been in an offside position when the ball ricocheted off the last man, this is when it should have been flagged and then most definitely when you took your first touch, but from what you say there was no excuse for a flag after you shot. Unfortunately we see it all the time. To give the lino the benefit of the doubt, refs always tell us to wait with the flag and be certain that we make the right decision, virtually every game the ref will say before kick off "I prefer a late flag, let the play develop", it's a bit of a no win situation sometimes. As I said earlier, under the old rule if a player was offside when the ball was played you flagged, no waiting to become 'active' or 'interfering', rules don't always change for the better.

Andy very true statement  , we all get the same instructions before the game , but it puts the pressure on club linesman don't think the FA  realise  how much stick we get for this one .

12 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Done that myself left my watch at home and used my phone , when I could work out how the app worked .  Look each week we seem to blame an official for results going against our clubs be it Lino's ( been there ) or refs  why don't we get back to blaming the players / managers for their failings , one official against 22 players on the park , all our clubs have had descions go for and against us  , who amongst us have come away from a game and say we got away with that be it a penalty  or red card which should have been awarded against your team?  This is football club Lino's are volunteers not paid , there seems to be a bit of a forum bashing at present for Lino's , if any posters can do a better job Volunteer get off your backsides away from your keyboards  put something back into our sport . Yesterday was not a nice afternoon for weather hats off to all the club Lino's for turning out  , have meet most of them  and the majority are good blokes trying to help out their clubs not there to mess up anyone's game but to go out and enjoy the game win lose or draw ,  a final point any team at the top of the league are there for a reason because they are better than everyone else .

Andy very true statement  , we all get the same instructions before the game , but it puts the pressure on club linesman don't think the FA  realise  how much stick we get for this one .

They don't Steve and it only leads to the lino getting stick. Had one 2 or 3 weeks ago, player in an offside position when the ball was played (no offence or flag at that point), ran through and chested the ball past our keeper, no question it was offside, but because you now shouldn't flag until the point he chests the ball, the opposition accuse you of cheating, it's a bit of a no win for the lino.

As for some people saying the game shouldn't have gone ahead, you need to stop whinging basically. Considering the weather, the pitch was in a decent condition at the start of the game. However, that considerably got worse as the game went on. That bit was clear for everyone to see. Those working on the pitch will have some job preparing it for next weekend. Although, we've supposedly got some ok weather next week which may well help in their efforts. On to the game, most would agree St Day should've won on the balance of things. They had many chances that weren't put away. I must say they played the conditions better than Carharrack did. They played along the ground where necessary, but also lifted balls in the air and over the top of that defence when it was needed. I felt that Carharrack just kept on trying to pass the ball on the deck, which because of the conditions, didn't work. There were plenty of players who had good games yesterday, most notably Scott Gilbert in the Carharrack goal, he made a number of good saves. The St Day back four and midfield also had a good game. As for the two key decisions in the game, I couldn't see the 'handball' outside the area. It all happened so quickly, and given the angle I was at, I genuinely couldn't see whether it hit the arm or not. Again, I couldn't see from my angle whether Rob was onside or not. But as you can all see above, the man himself said he ran from behind the last defender. I must say, a few also said he was onside, some I believe were neutrals. Surely the Carharrack bench must know as well? Regardless, St Day should've won the game anyway. Credit to both teams for what was a thoroughly entertaining game of football despite the conditions. Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season. I can still see Carharrack winning it. They've been outstanding in some games this season. The referee Ian Roberts controlled the game well. Very experienced referee who know's what he's doing, and is always a pleasure to talk to.

Hayle 5 - 2 Newquay ,. Must start with credit to Greg the groundsman for getting the game on ,  just before KO the heavens opened and before the game started he was still working on the pitch ,  Hayle were dominant in the first half , the post stopping a Kane strike from outside the box , Cameron missing a penalty ( he will say good save)  blocks by Newquay keeper and poor finishing the home team were three up at half time ,  the crowd were expecting much of the same in the second half ,. I don't know what the manager said to Newquay at half time but within six minutes of the second half game on Newquay deservedly pulled two goals back and they had Hayle rocking , a cracking curling shot from Kane into the top corner restored a cushion and Liam added another late on . Well played by both teams and well reffed in the conditions  yesterday both teams tried to play football and there wasn't a bad challenge , played in a good spirit  ,  felt sorry for Greg as the pitch cut up quite bad  but as usual he will perform his magic  , without people like him local football would fold . Thanks again .

Just running towards the ball is not classed as interfering with play. It is the affect that the attacker has on the opponent(s) which determines whether a player is offside or not. 

Unfortunately for Club linesmen, they aren't trained to the same standard as regular officials and are not required to pass an assessment on the laws of the game. Because they don't have to do that, I would bet by left testicle that many do not keep updated with the changes in the Laws of the Game. Club officials do not attend development days and have no further training than that of the original cours in which they qualified.

Lets ask the question... if the FA or a local Referee's Association group were to offer a development/training session, would club assistants attend?

1 hour ago, B_D said:

Unfortunately for Club linesmen, they aren't trained to the same standard as regular officials and are not required to pass an assessment on the laws of the game. Because they don't have to do that, I would bet by left testicle that many do not keep updated with the changes in the Laws of the Game. Club officials do not attend development days and have no further training than that of the original cours in which they qualified.

Lets ask the question... if the FA or a local Referee's Association group were to offer a development/training session, would club assistants attend?

I know where you are coming from but they do need to pass a LOTG test every 3 years when they recertification!

i would also welcome any club assistants to our RA/Development meetings.