Cornwall Football Forum

Defunct grounds (2)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember playing for Falmouth Town at Antony in the senior cup about 28 years ago!!! The only thing we knew about them before the game was that it was a village between Torpoint and Millbrook! The whole village turned out and were giving us loads of verbals and grief!! The players were well up for it as well, think they really fancied a big upset until we won about 10-0!?! The rain was pouring in through the dressing room roof before the game! Remember George Turbo Torrance skinning about 6 players before scoring!! Most of their crowd was in the pub next door by half time!! ?⚽ Any details of that game Mike or Willow? Pretty sure there wasn't a programme! Bet you'll have one if there was Mike!!! ??

Rappo, I scored twice in that game and it was 10-0. They only qualified for the Senior Cup by virtue of the fact they played in the Plymouth Senior League. They were about 4-5 leagues below us and gave them a proper hammering. Trouble was that we had to go to Yate in the FA Vase the following week who were 4-5 leagues above us. Not really great preparation for us. We lost by the odd goal and from memory I supplied you with the pass for our only goal?

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Long Rock please Willow .?

If someone can help me upload the images Stevie, I would. I have a fair few. The ones I posted, I tried sending last year but I had already reached the limit and when I tried to 'add attachment' those four pics were there. I hoped if I uploaded them, they would disappear but they didn't.

2 hours ago, David Bray said:

And don't forget  Molinnis Park - Bugle.

Bugle SWL Champions back in the 1970's.

Sad state now, only used for Bugle Band Contest day.:(

I would love to see Molinnis used for football again. Only went their once when they were on the way down. Who owns the ground?

16 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

If someone can help me upload the images Stevie, I would. I have a fair few. The ones I posted, I tried sending last year but I had already reached the limit and when I tried to 'add attachment' those four pics were there. I hoped if I uploaded them, they would disappear but they didn't.

I would love to see Molinnis used for football again. Only went their once when they were on the way down. Who owns the ground?

'Who owns the ground' good question, i'll see what i can find out. 

6 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Rappo, I scored twice in that game and it was 10-0. They only qualified for the Senior Cup by virtue of the fact they played in the Plymouth Senior League. They were about 4-5 leagues below us and gave them a proper hammering. Trouble was that we had to go to Yate in the FA Vase the following week who were 4-5 leagues above us. Not really great preparation for us. We lost by the odd goal and from memory I supplied you with the pass for our only goal?

Supplied the pass (!) every time I saw you play Tommy your "passes" used to go over the stand :yahoo:

What I remember from the  1990-91 Senior Cup tie at Antony was entering the ground through a farmers gate and after packed into the Pub at the bottom of the hill..

Near the end with darkness approaching I could see the Home Park floodlights illuminating the sky over Plymouth and I think it was West Ham United in town that afternoon

I am sure there was no programme but I will look for my handwritten teamsheet and a match report to see the validity of that sliderule pass from Tommy to you Rappo.

18 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Ha Ha it must have been the only time you scored 2 Tom

Remember it well Tom!!! What a game that Yate one was!! Pitch was the same size as Wembley!! Remember Philpy getting studded from his chin to his waist by the Bristol Rovers striker they had on loan! He wasn't happy! You made a great run down the left wing and whipped in a beauty and I headed it into the top corner, probably have made more sense the other way around mate!! Another 5 minutes I reckon we would have took them back to Bickland for a replay. Tom I remember you scoring twice in a game plenty of times!! Who could forget the "Matthews semi-final"!!! Cant remember too much of the details from the Antony match? Was hoping Mike would do the honours as usual! Always enjoy his stats bringing back the great memories!! Think I had 4 to make it 51 goals in 50 games at the time!? Honour and pleasure to play in that side with those boys eh Tom ???⚽

Gotta say Tom and Spaz were not only the best defensive pairing I've ever had the pleasure to play with and train against every week (phew!) but they would score 15/20 goals a season between them year in year out!! Unbelievable contribution both ends of the pitch. Never ever seen another pair like it to be honest at any level of football!!! Toms far too modest a bloke to big himself up but got to say these two were special guys on and off the pitch.  ?⚽

39 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Gotta say Tom and Spaz were not only the best defensive pairing I've ever had the pleasure to play with and train against every week (phew!) but they would score 15/20 goals a season between them year in year out!! Unbelievable contribution both ends of the pitch. Never ever seen another pair like it to be honest at any level of football!!! Toms far too modest a bloke to big himself up but got to say these two were special guys on and off the pitch.  ?⚽

Tommy doesn't need to big himself up when Rappo does it for him! I don't think I've ever seen a better centre half in Cornish football than Tommy though

Uploading some defunct grounds to a Flickr account so it's easier to show people. I have a picture of a ground at/called Golberdon. Golberdon is near to Liskeard. Who would have played there?

2 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Golberdon  is probably nearer Callington than Liskeard Willow.

Not sure if there was a team called Golberdon but there used to be a team called South Hill who,i think.played in that area back in the 70's. 

I googled it and being in the parish of South Hill that's where I think it came from.

39 minutes ago, karaoke said:

I have to say Tommy was one of the best centre halves I have played behind 

There must have been a lot of centre halves in that distinguished career!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums

Unfortunately not all the photos are of football grounds, merely what is there now. I would like to add more so any suggestions or better still, pictures would be useful. Also any old CCFA directories/information could also be utilised.

Defunct ground photos and Google Earth photos include:

Antony (Antony Field)

Barripper (Botetoe Road)

Camborne (Park Road)

Camelford (Tregoodwell)

Carharrack (United Road)

Carnon Downs (Tregye Road)

Cury (Jubilee Field)

Exiles (Minack Theatre)

Falmouth Docks (Docks Sports Ground)

Falmouth Docks (Leggo Park)

Falmouth Town (Ashfield)

Four Lanes (Loscombe Road)

Goonhilly (Earth Station)

Gulval (Badger's Cross)

Gweek (Recreation Ground)

Halsetown (Halsetown Inn)

Hayle (Ellis Park)

J & F Pool (Horsepool Road, Connor Downs)

Leedstown Playing Field

Long Rock (Rydal Field)

Marazion Blues (Rosudgeon Playing Field)

Mawgan United (Recreation Ground)

Newmoor Rovers (Kessell Park)

Penryn Athletic (The Glebe)

Plymouth City (Pennycross)

Railway Tavern (Carn Brea)

Redruth (Raymond Road)

Roche (Victoria Road)

South Hill (Golberdon)

St Erth [name unknown]

Stithians (Old Churchyard)

Threemilestone (Polstain Road)

14 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums

Unfortunately not all the photos are of football grounds, merely what is there now. I would like to add more so any suggestions or better still, pictures would be useful. Also any old CCFA directories/information could also be utilised.

Defunct ground photos and Google Earth photos include:

Antony (Antony Field)

Barripper (Botetoe Road)

Camborne (Park Road)

Camelford (Tregoodwell)

Carharrack (United Road)

Carnon Downs (Tregye Road)

Cury (Jubilee Field)

Exiles (Minack Theatre)

Falmouth Docks (Docks Sports Ground)

Falmouth Docks (Leggo Park)

Falmouth Town (Ashfield)

Four Lanes (Loscombe Road)

Goonhilly (Earth Station)

Gulval (Badger's Cross)

Gweek (Recreation Ground)

Halsetown (Halsetown Inn)

Hayle (Ellis Park)

J & F Pool (Horsepool Road, Connor Downs)

Leedstown Playing Field

Long Rock (Rydal Field)

Marazion Blues (Rosudgeon Playing Field)

Mawgan United (Recreation Ground)

Newmoor Rovers (Kessell Park)

Penryn Athletic (The Glebe)

Plymouth United (Pennycross)

Railway Tavern (Carn Brea)

Redruth (Raymond Road)

Roche (Victoria Road)

South Hill (Golberdon)

St Erth [name unknown]

Stithians (Old Churchyard)

Threemilestone (Polstain Road)

Hi Willow Tree, It was Plymouth City who played at Pennycross, they had a Western League side and a West Devon Sunday side made up from South Western League players that entered the Sunday FA Cup

Just now, Gareth Rowett said:

Hi @Willow Tree what about Squire's Field, Fowey former home of Fowey United and Fowey Town.

Just got pictures and that will be in the next upload. Also to be added will be Gerrans, Gulval (St Clare) and Luxulyan.

4 minutes ago, cat weasel said:

Hi willow tree newmoor rovers pitch is still there at the bottom of the playing fields behind the boscawen hotel pub in the centre of st dennis still a pitch but not been used in a while had 2 great seasons there in 96/97 and 97/98 

True, I have to re-visit there in person when it's a bit drier!

2 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Just got pictures and that will be in the next upload. Also to be added will be Gerrans, Gulval (St Clare) and Luxulyan.

True, I have to re-visit there in person when it's a bit drier!

@Willow Tree Spent many a time there watching the old man. It was usually there, Riviera Coasters or George & Dragon as a youngster!

Thanks. I believe that is where Bodmin Town started their days. The three grounds I would love to have pictures of are Westheath (Bodmin), Wearde Field (Saltash) and Beacon Park (Helston).

19 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Remember it well Tom!!! What a game that Yate one was!! Pitch was the same size as Wembley!! Remember Philpy getting studded from his chin to his waist by the Bristol Rovers striker they had on loan! He wasn't happy! You made a great run down the left wing and whipped in a beauty and I headed it into the top corner, probably have made more sense the other way around mate!! Another 5 minutes I reckon we would have took them back to Bickland for a replay. Tom I remember you scoring twice in a game plenty of times!! Who could forget the "Matthews semi-final"!!! Cant remember too much of the details from the Antony match? Was hoping Mike would do the honours as usual! Always enjoy his stats bringing back the great memories!! Think I had 4 to make it 51 goals in 50 games at the time!? Honour and pleasure to play in that side with those boys eh Tom ???⚽

As you guessed Mark there was no programme and therfore no idea what the standard of the Antony team without names.

Antony were in mid table of the Plymouth & District League Division 1 ( below the Premier Division).

Falmouth line up -Dave Philp-Andy Duncan-Mark Hope-Chris Long-Mike Leech-Tommy Matthews(Duncan Powell 62m)-Timmy Allen(Mark Menhennick 79m)-George Torrance(C)-Gary Harrison-Mark Rapsey-Nigel Thwaites---injured Dave Gardner

Scorers-Rapsey 4 (13m.H,61m,85m,90m)--Matthews 2(24m,40mH)-Torrance 2 (58m,77m)-Harrison 41m-Thwaites 45m

Referee Larry Marsh (St.Austell)

4 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Thanks. I believe that is where Bodmin Town started their days. The three grounds I would love to have pictures of are Westheath (Bodmin), Wearde Field (Saltash) and Beacon Park (Helston).

St.Lawrences Hospital used to play at Westheath I believe,

Wearde Fiels is that the ground close to the Saltash Utd. main pitch?

Beacon Park is now a caravan or housing site.

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Thanks Mike!! Legend as always mate  ⚽??  Who said Tom didn't score goals!?!  He scored 2 and only played an hour!!! #townlegend ⚽

Dont want to embarrass Tom but how many Central defenders (The No.6 shirt) have scored over 50 goals in Cornish football?

Tom netted 53 from his 460 Falmouth appearances (1978-94) and only missed 27 games in his time at Bickland.

Never seen the Red card and received only two bookings for rash challenges.

He will be recognised as scoring the 3000th. Falmouth goal at Poltair Park 1993 and has scored one hat trick v Holsworthy 1985.

On a lighter note he backed up (The Mathews  F A Cup Final 1953) by claiming "The  Matthews Semi Final" SWL Cup by scoring both goals with the winning goal a overhead scissors kick in 1992.

Sorry Tom LOL

5 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

St.Lawrences Hospital used to play at Westheath I believe,

Wearde Fiels is that the ground close to the Saltash Utd. main pitch?

Beacon Park is now a caravan or housing site.

Bodmin Town used Westheath for three seasons in the early 1950s while Priory Park had work done on the pitch (yes it took three season to re-do the pitch!). St Lawrences moved in and apparently it had a really steep slope.

Wearde Field I believe is where Saltash School is now. Possibly they used the school pitch in their inaugural SWL season, depending on how old the school is. The pitch behind Kimberley Stadium is Warfelton.

Beacon Park, I have never had anyone been able to pinpoint exactly where it was. Someone said it was where the mobile home site is and some say it was further down.

Website updates with photos of: Flushing (Trefusis Point), Fowey United (Squires Field), Gerrans (Treloan Lane), Gulval (St Clare), Luxulyan (Tregarick Farm), Menheniot (Pass Road), Mylor (Waterings Road), Pelynt (Jubilee Hill), Praze (Trethewa), Roskear Field, St Columb Minor (Recreation Ground), Trevenson United (Boundervean Lane)

4 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Goonhavern had two pitches off Rosehill,the B3285 Road.One using the farm access to Piran (Perran) Round Farm and the other using the next lane aong. 

I have taken a Google Earth picture that will hopefully show the pitch. It will be uploaded later. Also to be added will be new pictures of Exiles' pitch at Minack and Bugle.

Willow.

Perranporth Sunday.  Back in days of the Truro & District Sunday League.

Remember playing for Riviera Coasters in 1968/69 against Perranporth  at Penhale Army Camp. And another season up at Perranporth Air Field where anyone over 6 foot tall had to 'duck' when Gliders' were landing !!  Assuming that both grounds are no longer in existence.

Camborne Athletic, again in the T&DSL played adjacent to the Rugby Ground, assuming that's Park Road.

Factory team, Rank Bush Murphy played on an awful pitch behind the Railway Inn at Pool. Pitch best dug up and used for cabbages. T&DSL 1968/69.

Is there anyone out there who can remember where the Bullers Arms played, somewhere in the Illogan area. ??? Again a T&DSL side. 1967/68.

Camborne Athletic playing ajacent to a Rugby ground-that would probably be the Old Holman S C complex at Wheal Gerry (across N Roskear Rd from Park Road) but very close.

The football pitch now gone was used by Holman S C and Camborne School of Mines in their very short stay in the Combination League in the early 1960's

The Rugby ground was and until recently  the home of Veor Rugby Club since 1966 but most of the land is now  taken up by Rosemellin School.

After thought. I do believe Camborne Athletic did play next to The Camborne Rugby ground at Crane Road in the very early days.

1 hour ago, David Bray said:

Willow.

Perranporth Sunday.  Back in days of the Truro & District Sunday League.

Remember playing for Riviera Coasters in 1968/69 against Perranporth  at Penhale Army Camp. And another season up at Perranporth Air Field where anyone over 6 foot tall had to 'duck' when Gliders' were landing !!  Assuming that both grounds are no longer in existence.

Camborne Athletic, again in the T&DSL played adjacent to the Rugby Ground, assuming that's Park Road.

Factory team, Rank Bush Murphy played on an awful pitch behind the Railway Inn at Pool. Pitch best dug up and used for cabbages. T&DSL 1968/69.

Is there anyone out there who can remember where the Bullers Arms played, somewhere in the Illogan area. ??? Again a T&DSL side. 1967/68.

I tried to find Penhale Camp on Google Earth but couldn't find an exact location for a pitch (Holywell/Cubert)

I have a picture of the Perranporth Airfield, is this the one known as Cligga?

The pich behing the Railway Inn at Pool, was that on Druids Road/at the base of Carn Brea?

The pitch up by the airfield is still there I think Dave and Willow!!? Was out Perranporth a few weeks ago and there's a pitch opposite the airfield with nets up and corner flags, looked half decent! Almost got my football out the boot to test my knee out but then I remembered it was blowing a gale, I'm 49 years old and my knee is knackered after striking a football over 20 times in one week!!! ⚽? Got a pasty instead ??

Great photos Willow, cheers. Played Sunday League for Baltic Pine down Porthcurno in around 2000/1 for a couple of years. Some great memories - filling in the rabbit holes before kickoff, horizontal rain coming in off the sea, the ice-cold showers and more happily post-match pint and sausage n chips in the Cable Inn. Proper Sunday league ?

17 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Thanks Willow the old long rock ground looks sad now ,   played against Porthcurnoe exiles , you got changed down in the changing rooms at the bottom and then drove up the hill  , good fun. With football boots on ,   

Just now, jobysdad said:

Great photos Willow, cheers. Played Sunday League for Baltic Pine down Porthcurno in around 2000/1 for a couple of years. Some great memories - filling in the rabbit holes before kickoff, horizontal rain coming in off the sea, the ice-cold showers and more happily post-match pint and sausage n chips in the Cable Inn. Proper Sunday league ?

More photos of the Exiles/Baltic Pine pitch coming later!