Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Morwenstow 4 Bere Alston United 2

Recommended Posts

My first game in charge at Bere Alston and a result that does not tell the true story of the game or do justice to the performance of my lads.

After a hectic week culminating in the game being brought forward to 12:00, Bere travelled north to their Premier league opponents without a recognised keeper due to work commitments and despite starting brightly with both Truscott and Reid going close Morwenstow raced into a 3-0 lead inside 15 minutes with three strikes from outside the penalty area that a normal keeper would surely have dealt with (at least two anyway).

Bere then dominated the remainder of the first half playing up the slope and were unlucky not to reduce the deficit before half time having struck the crossbar on two occasions and forced Morwenstow into some desperate defending at times.

However, Morwenstow always looked like increasing their lead on the break with some intelligent runs from midfield and were denied stonewall penalty after a tackle from behind by Harvey that the referee inexplicably missed, which wasn't the last of some strange decisions from the man in black.

HT: 3-0

Having shown plenty of spirit towards half time, and early goal from Bere would surely signal a fight back and it came courtesy of some sharp movement in the box from Truscott who latched onto a fumble from the Morwenstow keepr after an initial effort from Reid to score on the rebound from six yards.

It was now pretty much one way traffic and a second goal was not long in coming. Beesley collecting a crossfield pass from Wheeler and coming inside before drilling a left foot shot through a crowd of players into the bottom left hand corner.

Bere continued to press for the equaliser with several efforts going begging as a result of poor finishing and good defending fom the Morwenstow back four, then came a controversial goal for Morwenstow that killed the game as a contest.

Bere's stand in keeper Crabb went for a high ball and appeared to be pushed in the back by the challenging Morwenstow striker. Subsequently Crabb fumbled the cross which fell to the feet of a Morwenstow striker to force the ball into the net.

With Bere's defence expecting a free kick for a foul on the goalkeeper, the goal was given. Far be it for me to say that had it happened at the other end it would have been disallowed!!

Bere played out the last 15 minutes looking for a way back into the game and Morwenstow, who were able to bring on fresh legs up front continued to look dangerous on the break with their speed and movement against a tiring Bere back four who were beginning to leave gaps as they pushed forward.

Overall it was a decent game which highlighted above all that on this performance the gap between the top of the Premier League and Division One is not all that great.

Final Score: 4-2

Bere's Scorers: Truscott, Beesley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...