Cornwall Football Forum

A question for Penzance/Porthleven historians

Ah ha. The new upgraded floodlights were first used in a SWLC preliminary round game against St Lukes College Reserves which was played on a Friday night. The Porthleven game was played in early December I think. Sometime between the 2nd and 11th. I will have to check the Cornishman when I can.

I have the programme for the night. It was against St Lukes College in the Preliminary Round of the South Western League Cup. It said the improved floodlights had cost £1,000 to bring them up to the required standard. Among the Penzance team that night was Ray Nicholls - a gentleman and fine player, always had a chat when we met at games, very sad.

The rest of the team contained: Peter Collins, John Richards, Roger Gazzard, John Mead, Gary Howells, Richard Standley, William Thomas, Tony Kellow, Malcolm Lock, Geoff Lee and Terry Williams. The results was a victory for the Magpies 4-1, goalscorers Malcolm Lock, John Richards and Tony Kellow (2). Penzance were unbeaten in the league at this stage.

Regarding the Porthleven game, this would have been played on Boxing Day, this was the traditional fixture in those days. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, John Richards Pz said:

I have the programme for the night. It was against St Lukes College in the Preliminary Round of the South Western League Cup. It said the improved floodlights had cost £1,000 to bring them up to the required standard. Among the Penzance team that night was Ray Nicholls - a gentleman and fine player, always had a chat when we met at games, very sad.

The rest of the team contained: Peter Collins, John Richards, Roger Gazzard, John Mead, Gary Howells, Richard Standley, William Thomas, Tony Kellow, Malcolm Lock, Geoff Lee and Terry Williams. The results was a victory for the Magpies 4-1, goalscorers Malcolm Lock, John Richards and Tony Kellow (2). Penzance were unbeaten in the league at this stage.

Regarding the Porthleven game, this would have been played on Boxing Day, this was the traditional fixture in those days. Hope this helps.

John, the SWLC preliminary round was played Friday 27th September and Penzance won 7-0. The league game with St Lukes College Reserves was on 5th October and that game was 4-1 to Penzance.

The Porthleven home game was played sometime between 2nd-11th December, definitely midweek and Penzance won 4-1. I couldn't find a mention of it in the Cornishman or the West Briton so may have to trek to Plymouth to try and find it unless someone can help. Incidentally on Boxing Day, the reverse fixture was played and it finished Porthleven 4-4 Penzance.