Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall 2-1 Sussex (aet)

Great win for the Cornwall lads.

Two good sides out there on show today, but in the end, after a goalless 90 minutes, Cornwall just edged it.

Joel Allen capped a faultless performance (that is apart from getting injured and missing the last 12 minutes or so) with the opening goal two minutes into extra time.

Sussex pulled the game back level after Cornwall struggled to clear the ball and it was then put across the face of the goal for sub Joe Daly to touch home from close range.

Early in the second half Josh Otto made a brilliantly timed tackle to end a great menacing run down the Sussex left side of the pitch and not long after that skipper Charlie Hambly put Josh Penrose away on a run which ended with the visitors' goalkeeper bringing the Camelford winger down in the box for Jack Rapsey to remain the calmest in the ground and take Cornwall through into the semi-final of this national competition - the FA County Youth Cup.

Although it had to be a 16-named squad, it was in fact a 19 player squad effort from all the lads there today along with, not forgetting, a brilliant set of coaches to gee them along and point them in the right direction.

Cornwall team : Gwillam (Liskeard), Otto (Mousehole), Heywood (Camelford), Allen (Porthleven), Hambly (Camelford) (c), Harrison (Camelford), Penrose (Camelford), Turner (Newquay), Buchan (Helston), Adkins (Camelford), Walker (Falmouth). Subs used : Rapsey (Newquay), Flack (AFC St Austell), Roberts (Porthleven). Not used : Webber (Porthleven), Soares (Godolphin Atlantic). 

Cornwall will be playing the winner of Leicestershire and Rutland v Durham (who play each other on 28/1) at HOME in the semi final - to be played by end of Feb.

Cornwall were outstanding today against a very good Sussex team, who were finalists last season, that coupled with beating Lancashire (previous recent winners who beat Liverpool previous winners) in the last round means that this County squad should fear no one.

Joel Allen was massive today as he was up against a very promising looking striker and won every ball, however he was very well supported by Charlie Hambley who calmly swept up all loose balls. Ed Harrison in midfield put in a commanding shift with Cam Turner and whilst outnumbered (Sussex playing 3 in the middle), their shift created time and space for Ollie Walker and Josh Penrose out wide - both of whom had the making of their opposing defenders (unfortunately meaning they were doubled up against and subjected to some 'sturdy' defending). Cornwall used three subs today through necessity caused by injury (Flack for Heywood, Roberts for Allen and Rapsey for Buchan) - however their bench still had a lot of firepower left unused (Webber who was in the last 32 for England Schools and Soares who was in last 32 for England Colleges) and three players in the squad who were unused but quality players.

St Blazey were impeccable hosts today and I would imagine probably had their biggest crowd of the season.

When the semi final is announced I would urge ALL local football supporters to come along and support the County youth, in what could be a history making season.

Is it possible that the powers that be can arrange the game so it can be played at a time that is convenient with everyone. A 12noon kick off would be better as it makes a double header possible but whatever is arranged congratulations to the Duchy side for doing us all proud!

Another result from yesterday's Quarter Finals.

Cheshire 0 Oxfordshire 3.

So the final 4 are Cornwall, Middlesex, Oxfordshire and either Leicestershire & Rutland or Durham.

And if you were anticipating hearing the local results on Radio Cornwall this morning ( 8.50 am ) the announcer  had none to read out - pathetic !!! 

Whenever I have come down Dave all I hear on Radio Cornwall Sport is either Rugby or Truro City. The only other football coverage I've heard are the SWPL results, but no match coverage. Radio Cornwall does not represent Sport in Cornwall as a whole, its needs to get out and cover far more CORNISH football, omitting Cornwall Youth was a disgrace. I don't think that the Sports Editor has a deep knowledge of sport in the county, mainly just the Pirates and Truro City and that's it. 

Gone are the days when Denis Nightingale was hosting the four hour programme and we must have had about up to 18 people out and about covering matches (football and rugby).

The quality wasn't always fantastic because some were using their own mobiles but at least we were giving the public of Cornwall live coverage and reaction.

l listened in yesterday on the way back from the County Youth match and all I heard was basically what would have been on Radio 5 at some time or other!

The problem is no competition!

I listened on RC for most of the afternoon and I am quite sure the first mention of th County game was the result about 5-30pm.

Also with a double header of Rugby they did say on several occasions  St.Austell were 1 up so when the scores were anounced at 5pm (6-0) i assumed they scored 5 in injury time

Tend to agree local radio who cover local sport and not only rugby, there are exciting games full of goals every week a little more coverage would be great, it may even help to increase attendance s at local games. With so much football on the tv. Why not get out of your armchair a take in a local game at a price everyone can afford

How about a 15min spot on the sports prog all about local football, interviews with players, managers, tea hut staff, there must be so many interesting and passionate people out there at the club's,maybe a feature on a different club each week. Rather this than coverage of national sport that you can hear on five live. 

Another thoroughly deserved victory for the boys, even though they had to dig deep for 120 minutes. I've had the pleasure of watching most of these lads play since they were about 8 or 9 years old and to see where they are today competing and outplaying the likes of Lancashire and Sussex is a real treat!! They've always had the talent and ability but the way Hoops has moulded them into this team from the original 100 odd players that turned up for the trials at the end of June is fantastic. A great team of coaches around them with great advice and a top Physio as well and the boys always go into the games meticulously prepared with the help of Mass who has given Hoops a dossier of the last two opponents. Really professional from top to bottom and it's not by luck the boys have gone this far in the competition. Thought the team had a great balance yesterday, solid keeper, full backs that could bomb on and defend, two outstanding central defenders, the midfield two ran their socks off with intelligent positioning and excellent ball retention and passing ability. Two flying wingers who went past their full backs time and again drawing foul after foul. The two strikers had good movement and got the better of the visiting defenders and were only denied time and again by an inspired goalkeeping performance by Sussex 6 foot 7 keeper. The strength in depth in the squad was evident yesterday with a really strong bench and the substitutions never altered the flow of the play with Cornwall remaining dominant, you can see the team spirit among them shining through as well. Always enjoy a Cornwall win over the years of playing and watching, not sure we're respected too much for our football up the line which makes it all the more sweeter when they've got a long trip home!!! ? As mentioned by the gents on this thread already it would be great if the boys could get some more vociferous backing for their semi final in a month or so time. They really are worth a watch and for the £2 the county charge for their games its a bargain!!!  Well done to all concerned  ⚽??⚽

5 minutes ago, Piran said:

I hope to get the post-match interview up on You Tube soon. I've had to put that one on hold for a tad longer because of other pressing matters business wise.

Mark - totally understandable and thank you again for all the work you (and Dave and Mass) do to make it the more enjoyable to us 'watchers'.