Cornwall Football Forum

Holywell Bay 1 Grampound 1

Duchy Div. 2 Holywell Bay 1 Grampound 1

By far the best game I have seen this season. Holywell Bay were on top for most of the first half but some heroic Grampound defending kept them out. Grampound were more in it in the second half and made some fair chances of their own, with Holywell Bay also having opportunities but being frustrated (and showing it too often really) for much of the time. Holywell Bay were very fortunate to gain the lead one minute from the end from an own goal after several deflections, and everyone thought that was it but Grampound went down the other end and scored straight away when Glyn Ford managed to get in front of his marker from Ryan Maker's low free kick and tucked the ball away neatly. The game ended seconds later but not before a Holywell Bay player managed to get himself sent off for some ill-chosen words to the referee. I think this was a straight red following a yellow about 10 minutes earlier. A pity that most of the Holywell bay players decided to leave the field at the end without shaking hands -- there was no need for this, they had nothing to gripe about apart from playing a team who decided that they would not be beaten easily. I understand that the sent off player may have compounded his offence by abusing the referee as he came off.

All in all a terrific afternoon's entertainment.