Cornwall Football Forum

Corner Flag ruling

Guest Gaz-Man

Guest Frogman

Can anyone clear up a refereeing decision for me.

During the game today the ball bounced towards the corner flag, hit the corner flag and went to the left of the corner flag (ie, out for a corner rather than a throw in). The ref said that because the corner flag is flexible and was blowing slightly in the wind that the ball actually went out for a throw even though it went to the left of the flag.

Anyone know the rule on this?

Guest Helston Patriot

I'm not supprised with that as the ref we had was an absolute joke yesterday. He didn't break into a slight jog all game. Never left the centre circle and gave some very poor (and thats being kind) decisions for both teams.

I think an assessor needs to watch him again.

Can anyone clear up a refereeing decision for me.

During the game today the ball bounced towards the corner flag, hit the corner flag and went to the left of the corner flag (ie, out for a corner rather than a throw in). The ref said that because the corner flag is flexible and was blowing slightly in the wind that the ball actually went out for a throw even though it went to the left of the flag.

Anyone know the rule on this?

You know what? thinking about it, I scored a hat-trick yesterday because a few of the passes I made may have actually gone in if it wasn't for the strong wind.

Seriously, this ref needs a bloody check up BUT ofcourse he'll be thinking that he had a "blinder" and is probably over the moon with his performance. Yet in reality he probably had the performance of a "blind man" but you can't say that because refs don't make mistakes do they?.

Just a few thoughts on this subject if I may although I did not see or were at the game so my thoughts are pure conjecture. The corner flag is not part of the line, plus a corner flag should be upright. now if as these days the corner flag posts are made of plastic and are flexible the offending flag post is well bent over due to the breeze, if in the referee`s opinion although the ball touched the goal line side of the flag post but crossed the line on the touchline side and not the goal line side then his decision was correct, he has to make the decision and in this instance he thought the ball crossed the touchline.

Guest Sport Lover

I think the people who go on and on about refs should try and do a few games themselves and be on the receiving end of the continual appealing and abuse they receive from their fellow players. They might think again before being so harsh on them.

No one ever names names either.

Without a ref you dont have a game.

Guest Frogman

I was there St Darren.

absolutely right sport lover. this was an odd one that's all (the circumstance not the ref)

just wanted to clear up the ruling as it always seems to be windy at Aggie so this may come up again!!

'the ref' was your bad decision in 1987 to take up refereeing?? he he

no idea who you are then!!!

I didn't have a good game I know that!!!

I thought the ref didn't have the balls needed, thats my opinion, I apologised after the game to him for having a go at him, but when he makes some decisions as he did you tend to get frustrated!!

And it was a corner when it hit the corner flag. However, the Chacewater lino wouldn't cheat, I know that, he's the fairest in the league

Aggie called this one correctly.

I wasn't there but I can assure you that if the ball hits the flag and then goes out of play; play is restarted regarding whoever touched the ball before it hit the flag.

If a defending player touched it last then it is a corner if the ball crossed the goal line or a throw in if it crossed the touch line.

On a personal note; the only mistake I have ever knowingly made, and have repeated several times since, was to turn up for the game in the first place. There are a few matches or instances out there where you will be unpopular regardless of which team you award your decisions to and will spend ninety minutes justifying your decisions instead of just getting on with the game.

As far as I can work it out; nobody scored from this corner so please give the ref a break and get over it.

(Still wish I was there though)

XMAS_2007_BOOK_AD.doc

I think the people who go on and on about refs should try and do a few games themselves and be on the receiving end of the continual appealing and abuse they receive from their fellow players. They might think again before being so harsh on them.

No one ever names names either.

Without a ref you dont have a game.

I've actually reffed a few games and I'll admit that it isn't an easy thing to do BUT these guys get £20+ per game and are supposedly qualified to carry out the job thats asked of them. On the whole, they do a pretty good job BUT there a few out there who are total nut jobs and just don't have a clue.

I'm not harsh on refs and am as quick to praise one up as I am to slate one for having a shocker. No one ever names names because the odd incompetent fool may well be officiating over an upcoming fixture and the last thing a team needs is to give the ref a reason to think slightly against them.

I'm also bloody fed up of all this "If you don't have a ref, you don't have a game" talk. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would be a pretty shitty spectacle to try watching a game of football without any players. The teams on the pitch are just as important as any official and without those players giving it everything they have for 90 minutes each week, those officials would probably be going through the gruelling routine of weekly shopping with the mrs :angry: and not enjoying their saturday afternoon in the same way that they do whilst being in control of a match.

Players and officials are just as important as eachother and at the end of the day we all just want to enjoy our saturday with a game of football and a few well earned drinks afterwards We as players probably do give refs alot of un-necessary stick BUT why shouldn't we if a blatant mistake has been made. Afterall, our subs/match fees pay your expenses and if we make a stupid tackle/mistake we get booked, sent off, fined and banned. If a ref makes a stupid mistake and ultimately costs a team any chance of a result, what happens to him??. Oh yes, he gets to go out and do it all over again the following week.

So you see, perhaps it's not so hard to see why so many players have a problem with some of the stupid decisions/mistakes that some officials have made and will make again in the future.

Guest Sport Lover

Some players get £20 or more per game Coopsie and some are useless. I just think if your going to moan about a ref be constructive. Send a report into the CCFA or whoever is in charge of the refs and ask for a response, putting your complaints forward to them

Some players get £20 or more per game Coopsie and some are useless. I just think if your going to moan about a ref be constructive. Send a report into the CCFA or whoever is in charge of the refs and ask for a response, putting your complaints forward to them

I haven't said I have any complaints, I merely pointed out that there are some real shocking refs out there. Luckily they are a minority and as I stated previously "on the whole they are pretty good".

As for writing to CCFA to complain about an official, I may as well write to Helen Keller and ask her to rationally judge the X-Factor.

Also Sport Lover, if a player is useless and is on £20+ per game and his club are paying him even though he is useless then they are stupid BUT they can cease payment if they feel he is not performing at a level that constitutes such reward.

If a ref does not perform at a level that a team feels is acceptable he/she will still be paid wont they, unless you think it would be good to set a precedent where we withhold payment if we feel that the performance of the official does not deserve payment?.