Cornwall Football Forum

Dobwalls 0 Foxhole 4

Dobwalls 0 Foxhole 4

Saturday 17 th November 2007

It has become a ritual for me when driving to away games to listen to our local BBC radio station and marvel at the sheer professionalism of its slick presenters. So, as I eagerly tuned to Radio Cornwall, I imagined passing the time along the A38 by singing along to some classic tunes - you can guess my dismay, therefore, when the playlist for this particular Saturday appeared to be drawn entirely from a CD compilation entitled "Songs You Hoped You'd Never Hear Again."

Arriving at Lantoom Park in good time, the chilliness of the air hit me immediately, and I cursed my stupidity in only bringing one glove (the weather forecast had said it would be cold but, on the other hand, it would be sunny). By way of completely fictitious research for this report, I had read a newspaper article earlier in the week which indicated the village was struggling economically (apparently it was soon to receive a donation from a charity concert organised by Rwandan pop stars), so I decided to have a look around.

I soon chanced upon an elderly couple, staring out into the distance at the upheaval caused by the roadworks, their hangdog expressions perhaps betraying concern that no-one would ever visit the place again once the bypass was completed. Their dress sense suggested they had bought all the clothes they would ever need on a trip to British Home Stores in about 1968, but they were pleasant enough, happily engaging me in nostalgic conversation. I asked the man if he had lived in Dobwalls all his life. "Not yet", he replied, before embarking on a Victor Meldrew-like rant about the cost of coal.

Returning to the pitch, I joined the rest of the depressingly sparse crowd to see the home team settle the quicker, Parkes clipping the bar after seven minutes after being released by Bartlett. However, that was as good as it got for a strangely subdued Dobwalls outfit as Foxhole belied their lowly position to dominate the remainder of the game. Rowe twice went close with free headers before impressive debutant Giles latched on to Crane's miscue to rifle home the opener on 14.

Although the likes of Kenny and Skews threw in some dangerous crosses, the visiting rearguard stood firm, with Grose outstanding and Morris looking accomplished in an unfamiliar sweeper role. On 36, Griffin raced on to Dillon's clearance to coolly double the lead; within seconds, the Foxes incredibly were three up, Adam Holland nodding home Warne's deep cross. Panter then blazed over from close range before Wilson finally led a counter charge, but his drive flew harmlessly wide.

Foxhole clinched the points within four minutes of the restart. Still steadfastly holding a high line, the pedestrian Dobwalls defence allowed the speedy Griffin to break away and brilliantly finish from 35 yards. Typically walking a disciplinary tightrope after a needless earlier booking for throwing the ball away, Griffin was withdrawn straightaway; his replacement Broomfield twice nearly marked his first appearance with a goal. Although Giles was cautioned for a foul, Foxhole comfortably saw out time, not caring a jot that the match became terribly scrappy - it was just a shame that such a tremendous performance was not witnessed by a greater travelling support.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Ryan Holland 7; Colin Morris 7, David Grose 8, Mark Rowe 7; Richard Fairclough 6, Martin Giles 8, Jason Warne 6, Steve Panter 7 (sub. Andrew May 6), Jeff Dillon 6; Adam Holland 7 (sub. Kyle Friendship 6), Richard Griffin 7 (sub. Peter Broomfield 6).

Dobwalls (4-4-2): Joe White; Nick Souness (sub. Kevin Mee), Ian Kenny (sub. Martyn Hake), Barry Crane, Mark Fielder; Simon Skews, Dan Parkes, Spencer Wilson (sub. Dan Tapper), Steve Tapper; Jack Bartlett, Lee Caers.

Referee: Mr Dave Gord (Plymouth) 6.