Cornwall Football Forum

Pirate FM CWFL 11/12

Ridiculous scoreline at Culdrose today. Nothing against Culdrose, so fair play to their ladies and also a huge amount of respect who, despite having only 8 players, decided to turn up and fulfil the fixture. With a scoreline like that, surely it must be so demoralising for the players?! And will Helston go up a league if they top the table come the end of the season? They can't stay in the league and go around doing that to teams week after week.

Although 40-0 is a real hammering - the second biggest in adult football in Cornwall I belive and Culdrose should be applauded for fulfilling the fixture, on the other side, congratulations to the Sparkes twins - Smara scored 7 but Sasha scored 15. I bet even @RAPPO would find it hard to score the equivalent of five hat tricks in one game!

39 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Although 40-0 is a real hammering - the second biggest in adult football in Cornwall I belive and Culdrose should be applauded for fulfilling the fixture, on the other side, congratulations to the Sparkes twins - Smara scored 7 but Sasha scored 15. I bet even @RAPPO would find it hard to score the equivalent of five hat tricks in one game!

Not exactly hard against 8 though is it? That's 8 ladies who would have been beaten before the game had even kicked off. 40-0 is an embarrassing score line. But no one would be more embarrassed than those ladies that suffered that defeat. I'll be honest, if I was managing Helston I'd have told them to stop scoring and to treat the game as a training match, Passing and moving. But again, that wouldnt have been difficult against 8; I also understand that the game is about winning and that all the  players would what to score. I just can't see what good (other than goal stats) comes out of all this?

Im guessing I'd be right in saying that the highest recorded victory to date was Illogan 55 Madron 0 a couple of seasons ago?

I really do hope that more can be done to get women interested in football. But when you get results like this, why would they want to play? Where is the excitement in wasting a Sunday afternoon to get hammered?

Helston are a competitive club so I would like to think that they will get promoted this season where they can then play against teams at their own level. 

I really do hope that these ladies teams that are currently struggling just hold on until the end of the season and then rebuild in the summer because it would be a massive shame to see a further decline in female participants.

Just now, Dange'rous said:

Not exactly hard against 8 though is it? That's 8 ladies who would have been beaten before the game had even kicked off. 40-0 is an embarrassing score line. But no one would be more embarrassed than those ladies that suffered that defeat. I'll be honest, if I was managing Helston I'd have told them to stop scoring and to treat the game as a training match, Passing and moving. But again, that wouldnt have been difficult against 8; I also understand that the game is about winning and that all the  players would what to score. I just can't see what good (other than goal stats) comes out of all this?

Im guessing I'd be right in saying that the highest recorded victory to date was Illogan 55 Madron 0 a couple of seasons ago?

I really do hope that more can be done to get women interested in football. But when you get results like this, why would they want to play? Where is the excitement in wasting a Sunday afternoon to get hammered?

Helston are a competitive club so I would like to think that they will get promoted this season where they can then play against teams at their own level. 

I really do hope that these ladies teams that are currently struggling just hold on until the end of the season and then rebuild in the summer because it would be a massive shame to see a further decline in female participants.

Granted it wouldn't have been hard against 8 but even against 8 scoring 15 in one game is am impressive thing. Yeah Illogan Res 55 Madron 0 is the biggest I could find before this season.

The problem is the league is still to small to split into two divisions.  I think everyone knew that Helston would hoover up the best players in the area.   After losing all their games in their first season Culdrose did well last season to finish fourth.  In comes Helston and Culdrose who are just minutes away from Helston and who suffers.  The other problem was losing Illogan RBL reserves. If Helston win the league would they take promotion - highly unlikely.  Despite the great push after England's great World Cup tournament the female game at the lower level is still struggling.  Launceston who played in the South West League have now pulled out due to lack of player support.  

It is a problem that has been argued over for years but when I go and watch local junior girls football in the Plymouth area the game is thriving.  Parents and helpers do the best to help their youngsters play but are they getting the help from the local association..  In Plymouth there are now four teams playing in the Devon League with Plymouth Argyle, MAP, Plympton and Ativate playing at a higher level.   There are still four clubs playing at a higher level in Cornwall Callington, Newquay, Illogan and Charlestown.

What is a surprise is that so few clubs in Cornwall are attached to men's senior clubs. Is it because of the male only culture.  The FA whose board is unfortunately full of pensioners makes all the decisions.  Unfortunately most of them have been given positions on the board more for their long service in the game than any particular ability.  In fairness who would not give up the jollies they so obviously cherish.  The solution is to clear them all out and put in place people who actually know what the problems are and can deal with them.  If you want to make the game all inclusive then get the people in who can help solve the problem's in the Women's game.  Once again they have taken their eye off the ball by now concentrating on the Super League and not the rest of the game.  Rant over 

You're not wrong Willow!!! The best I've managed in a men's game was 13 for Probus Hawkins Arms and guess what!!?? It was against Culdrose OB in the old Sunday league when we beat them 18-0!!! Decent games for strikers to practice their finishing but often wonder what the keeper and defenders get out of it!!? Did score 22 in a school match for Richard Lander v Cathedral School in a 26-0 win!! Bet they had better exam results than me though!!! My form tutor Mr Coggin once wrote in my school report that all my brains were in my feet!!!  ?  Don't think it was meant as a compliment though!!!

14 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

You're not wrong Willow!!! The best I've managed in a men's game was 13 for Probus Hawkins Arms and guess what!!?? It was against Culdrose OB in the old Sunday league when we beat them 18-0!!! Decent games for strikers to practice their finishing but often wonder what the keeper and defenders get out of it!!? Did score 22 in a school match for Richard Lander v Cathedral School in a 26-0 win!! Bet they had better exam results than me though!!! My form tutor Mr Coggin once wrote in my school report that all my brains were in my feet!!!  ?  Don't think it was meant as a compliment though!!!

1,999 adult football goals later, I think he had a point!

I notice that Helston had thirteen players for the match. Perhaps pre-match a quick phone call could have resulted in the transfer of the two subs to Culdrose and after the match a transfer back to Helston.

Everyone gets a 90 minute run-out (if willing to transfer for the period of the game) and of course makes it more competitive.

But from the results one can see why the local clubs did not want Helston to join the league as they could see these results coming.