Cornwall Football Forum

Ivebridge F.C

A few of us will be travelling to Ivebridge on saturday to watch St Blazey. Ive just looked on the SWPL website and it says they have no floodlights, no seating and no covered standing!!!!!!! How on earth did they end up in the top flight? Confused!! :blink:

Guest Peppermint

Excellent question Paul but I doubt whether you will get an answer! Are these teams in the Premier League being given so long to get their facilities up to scratch or will they just never comply or if they do not improve their facilities will they be automatically be relegated.

Yes, thanks Pidgeon!! Only found that out today!! Find it hard to believe their in the top flight with no stand of any sort!! Thought wed left the likes of goonhavern behind!! Still.....should be a good afternoon.

Peppermint.....I supose they have so long to get things in place. Can anyone comfirm this?

Paul,

Your comment "Thought wed left the likes of goonhavern behind!!" is pretty disrespectfull and has an air of arrogance especially towards a fellow senior club.

Yes Goonhavern have not got floodlights or a stand but then they are only a small club, however they still show a warm welcome to away sides supporters, have a decent club house, with a fairly decent playing surface and are hoping to improve facilites in the future.

Play the game and be a little more respectful.

Umm, hang on a sec. I was in no way saying that people didnt make us welcome. Far from it!!! I was taking about facilities....nothing else!!! When we played Goonhavern last year it was a joke. The last 20 minutes were played in almost darkness, there wernt any programs, the club house couldnt serve food or drink as it had been shut down!!! The pitch was covered in rabbit holes!! As for their supporters, great bunch. But for a league trying to raise the standard, that wasnt good!! End off!!

I can only go on what I have seen this year and it is certainly going in the right direction now that they have got over the problems that they had with the cricket club in the summer. All I am saying is give smaller clubs a chance to improve, especially in regards to facilities, it takes time to raise the money to improve.

I recall this subject being discussed at length on Cornish Soccer. The hierarchy went to every club, had full consultation meetings to discuss the requirements - so why all the fuss now. If my memory serves me well clubs had from the end of April 2006 to end of April 2009 in which to have their facilities including the provision of floodlights in place. At this moment in time I don't think Dartmouth, Newton Abbot Spurs, Witheridge, Elburton Villa (not sure if they have them now) and Torpoint Athletic have floodlights. But!!! They have all been accepted into the premier division on the proviso that they guaranteed by the due date to have these facilities in place. I assume until that date is past I am not even sure why this original posting was made.

Are we to assume that matches such as Bude Town v Wadebridge Town, Callington Town v Torpoint Athletic,

Foxhole Stars v Newquay, Holmans SC v Porthleven, Lanreath v Millbrook, Mousehole v Goonhavern Athletic, Padstow United v Launceston, Probus v Truro City and St Columb Major v St Austell should not go ahead in the Cornwall Senior Cup next week because the home teams do not have floodlights with some of them not having covered areas either, so why are they in the Cornwall Senior Cup?. This competition has gone on long enough without a problem of having home teams not having lights and no seating or covered areas. So why are you confused Paul.

As far as Goonhavern or any other club is concerned in Division One East or West they don't have to have these facilities in place to play in those divisions. It is only if teams are going to be promoted would those facilities be a requirement. But again they have until end of April 2009 to have facilities including floodlights in place.

If you look at the top teams in East and West, both Newton Abbot and Porthleven have floodlights. If Dobwalls who are third in the West are promoted then it is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that floodlights and a stand will have to be in place by the end of April 2009 I think Dobwalls may already have planning permission to erect floodlights, likewise with Ivybridge Town. If I am correct it is the football club and not the cricket club who are the masters at Erme Valley now and that the pitch will be moved to near the changing rooms with floodlights and a stand being in the pipeline.

I am sure if I am wrong then someone will certainly come on and tell me. But again why bring this up when we got a bit fed up with people asking the same questions and getting the same answers. End of April 2009 is the deadline date (I hope). perhaps PH will come on for the umpteenth time to advise everyone.

Paul

Ivybridge are in the top league because they earned there place by finishing in the top half of the league last season.

they were one of the most succesful ex devon league teams.

they applied to go into the top league something not all clubs wanted to do and are now busy improving the facilities.

HOW DARE YOU COMPARE US TO GOONHAVERN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

What the hell has the Cornwall Senior Cup got to do with the Peninsula League! ECPL mentions this and gets upset about Paul asking a question - I thought this is what Forums are for or am I missing something. Everytime someone dares question some matter the powers that be get all defensive - surely all football followers are entited to ask questions because without the loyal followers of clubs then there would be no grassroots football.

Sorry to offend Peppermint. But as I said this subject was brought up and discussed massively at the time and for a long time after the league was set up. Perhaps Paul and a few others were not contributers at the time. And please I was not upset, if I was there would have been explanation marks everywhere. It was a just a resigned why and just an explanation what was agreed and advised. The Senior cup was just an analargy point. I trust everyone understands now.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that reply ECPL and it is obviously a complicated matter for clubs to add the necessary facilities to comply with the league. It is also going to be costly for some clubs because installing floodlights is very expensive for example.

That's the reason to be in the higher division!!!!

There is more funding available to improve facilities. It will be more difficult for a team after 2009 to be promoted if they haven't the facilities in place and being in a lower division at present will make it harder for them to gain the funding to put things in place, so clubs have a couple of seasons to be promoted or they will find themselves in a catch 22 situation. In a lower division hence less money to build facilities to gain promotion.

Sorry if ive upset a few but I did understand that a few clubs had work to be completed over the next few years. I just hadnt realised that Ivybridge had nothing in place yet!! They do have a very good website though!! As Im going there tomorrow, can anyone help with the finer details to find the ground? We shall enjoy the afternoon, shelter or no shelter, seats or no seats!!

Miss it and you are in the Graden Centre buying a christmas tree. The car park is also not that big. By the way I would suggest you go prepared to get your feet wet because the river is just behind the ground and many a football has ended up in the English channel.