Cornwall Football Forum

What a goal!!!!...... Or Not

I had a discussion with a referee (who's now retired) some time ago now where an incident similar to this happened in a South West Peninsula League fixture. Although the referee knew a player was going to have a shot at goal he blew the whistle as time was up. And the referee's excuse was 'when the time is up, it's time'.

In this situation, as with any similar to this, you'd have to feel sorry for the team that's scored. You can't deny that it wouldn't be frustrating on the receiving end of this. However, when the 90 minutes plus stoppage time is up, then the whistle should be blown in my opinion. None of this rubbish about waiting to see how the attacking situation develops or whatever.

I have had this scenario myself , away team get a corner in time added , a glance at my watch tells me that as they take the corner the added time has run out, I blow the final whistle as the kick is taken and of course Sod's law comes into action the away team bundle the ball into the goal after a few seconds it dawns on them that the game had finished, of course the stick I took was considerable, but ! , yes I felt for them also I would have felt awful for the home team who would have lost the game with me knowing that I had added extra time on just to see what happened, so I drove home with a clear conscience.

I would never blow the full time whistle on a corner or during an attack in the final third like that. I blow at the end of an attack or when the ball is out of play in a suitable location. You make a rod for your own back by doing that!

Bugger that!

Play was stopped as he hit the ball. No goal. Very ballsy call and I'm sure not another that referee would make again in a hurry.

I think in this scenario I feel for the referee as the original shot is blocked and he then blows for full time.

I would though never blow as a corner is being taken, either blow before the corner (if there are just a few seconds remaining and you know there won't be time to get it in) or wait for the ball to be cleared from the box and then blow. I think you are just asking for problems by blowing as a shot/corner is being taken.

Oh come onnnnn, the time keeping isn't that precise that you have to stop bang on the dot of added time being played, not like this in an attacking scenario in the final third. A suitable break in play ??

Just my opinion :P

I think it was fairly clear that the ref blew the whistle before the ball went on the net so no issues for me

i agree with Dave as well, on a corner blow the whistle before it's taken to save any issues. Letting them take it and then blow up is completely pointless. What happens if a serious head injury happened in that moment? For absolute no reason

glad the keeper got sent off though. He came bounding in

48 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I think it was fairly clear that the ref blew the whistle before the ball went on the net so no issues for me

i agree with Dave as well, on a corner blow the whistle before it's taken to save any issues. Letting them take it and then blow up is completely pointless. What happens if a serious head injury happened in that moment? For absolute no reason

glad the keeper got sent off though. He came bounding in

I think this incident was very unfortunate, most of the time the volley while not go in the goal.

The keeper deserved all he got and I think he is now suspended for the replay.

you could see what the ref was trying to do, by allowing the first shot (that was deflected).  he was not to know what was going to happen!

good to see the team of 3 standing their ground and having the bottle to do so, and sending off the "silly" keeper for running all that way to have a go!

unfortunate situation, do feel for the team that scored because it was a great strike, but the refs hands were tied!

On 06/11/2016 at 16:24, B Manning said:

But Dave when the time is up that's it you cannot add time on just to maybe save your own neck, there are times when you have to take difficult decisions, as I said I would have felt awful if the home team lost just because I wasn't man enough to blow the final whistle.

Actually, you can.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-7---the-duration-of-the-match

"Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half[...] additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced."

It's the referee's discretion as to when the whistle is actually blown, provided the additional time added on has been observed.

This was put out for debate an a Referee Association meeting last night. It was interesting to hear different referees opinions on what to do. Most agreed that they would not have blown the final whistle at that point In that phase of play. I can almost guarantee you that would be the opinion of most referees throughout the world.