Cornwall Football Forum

Referee opinion sought!

SteveM

Just wanted an opinion from a referee on the somewhat controversial Granit Xhaka sending off.

For anyone who didn't see it, here it is: 

I've looked into the Laws of the Game and assume it was given for "Denying a goal or an obvious goal scoring-opportunity" (page 87), which states:

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
• The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
• The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
• The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)

In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.
The following must be considered:
• distance between the offence and the goal
• general direction of the play
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• location and number of defenders

It wouldn't have been for DOGSO. He is too far away, too far wide and there is plenty of cover.

I think he would have been sent off here for Serious Foul Play. There is absolutely no way he is going for the ball, he knew full well what he was doing.

I personally would have issued a yellow and the player would have had a stern talking too. I'd have then monitored the player for the remainder of the game. I don't see it as a viscious challenge or one where excessive force is applied. It's a deliberate attempt to foul an opponent. I think a red is harsh.

I think either is completely justified.

I was talking with someone at work about this challenge and we couldn't give each other a definitive answer (in law). Even the wording for serious foul play doesn't really represent this challenge. I think this one is all about how the referees sees it. My opinion, you could easily sell both colours. 

I try and base all my answers around law so I can't be told I'm wrong... But this challenge kind of dips into the majority of the red and yellow card sanctions. I'd be more worried if there was no card if I'm honest :) 

Ah the laws of the game , always down to Interpretation , professional foul?  The ref gave what he thought was right at the time ,  but how many pundits/ ex players would say he took one for the team which is usually a yellow ?  Hopefully he will learn from this  , but then he is a footballer .

I think I agree that it should be a yellow card. It was highly cynical and obviously not an attempt to win the ball, but it wasn't a dangerous (likely to cause injury) foul. A three match ban also seems harsh.

We see cynical fouls (perhaps not quite this flagrant) on telly all the time and are told by the co-commentator that it's a tactical foul, or even a good foul. They nearly always end in a yellow. For example, Mustafi against Middleborough this weekend just gone.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person in the country who thinks foul play and  cynical cheating are destroying the game I once loved ( after motorcycle racing !!) . But it's not just the fact that it's spoiling the game , it's also the fact that we are being brainwashed by the pundits that it is acceptable . Experts ??? tell me that I am out of touch and this has to be part of the game and referees are giving out to many cards as it is . My reasoning is that if players didn't cheat there would be no need for so many bookings , let's be honest how many stupid  , needless fouls are given away just outside the box ? What goes through a players mind to do that ? How many times do we see an exciting breakaway from defence to attack ruined by a blatant trip or shirt pull ? . We are told that there is so much money involved now that this sort of thing is acceptable even if the offender is carded . Unfortunately this spreads down from professional level down to the lower levels .Sadly players at the lower level don't seem to grasp that a £10 or £25.00 fine hurts their pocket more than a player who earns more in a week than he does in a year . To get to the point of the post I'm in agreement with the rest of you , a totally unnecessary foul  and deserved a yellow at least . 

Because they are what govern the game. There's no such thing (in law) as cynical play/professional foul. Refs can't just make it up as they go along (debatable lol). 

So, for a red card, you have to justify it in law. The pro referees use exactly the same process as we do for their misconduct... they have to file their cards against the cautionable/red card offences in the lawbook.

59 minutes ago, SteveM said:

What I found interesting is that different referees give different opinions. One would book the player, the other would send him off. I think this is what drives football fans nuts: there are some inconsistencies in the application of the rules.

How could you change the laws to become more consistent though? This is one which is down to interpretation, you just hope that at each level of the game the referees are all consistent for that league/level. Unfortunately at this level this is almost impossible as each referee has different experience and training.

You just hope if this same challenge happens in a Premier League game again this season that it is given as a red card to be consistent.

One of the Spurs players of the 1960's double side said that Bill Nicholson the manager told them not to criticize referees . He said that all referees are human and make 10 mistakes a game , but players are human as well and make a hundred mistakes a game . Sadly in todays game with all the scrutiny and bisection of the game coupled with " expert " analysis  by ex players we tend to pick on referees and linesmen / women's  errors . I still think it's a foul though !!!! .

One other point , press coverage of football today is dominated by the Premiership , very little coverage is given to the rest of the game . My point is , we dwell on this incident because its the Premiership but it must happen in thousands of other games in the country and teams just have to grin and bear it .

On the balance of things, and in this current day and age, it was a poor decision and not a red card. This happens all too often and only a yellow card will be given. However I agree with many, this is a professional foul and should be a red card. If that was a punishment for these cynical and professional fouls then it would deter players from making these challenges. That way, games would be much more free flowing football, not constant fouls all the time.

I still think it's a yellow and a severe caution, as in, next foul and you're off. I can see why some might want a straight red, the bare faced cheek of the foul, but for me it wasn't a serious foul likely to cause injury. I'd go with the Laws regarding preventing a goal scoring opportunity, issue a yellow and make it very clear that the next one is a second yellow.

Good thing I'm not a referee!