Cornwall Football Forum

England Team - You Decide!

JENGLE

At the moment we are all criticising England for either the way they are performing or the results they seem to pick up, and rightly so as they continue to disappoint time after time. Now, for a second, put yourself in the hot seat. Who would be in your England team for their next game, including substitutions, and why?

N.B. - This is just a fun topic post to see what names people throw in to the mix.

I'm not complaining about either. The squad at this moment in time is not very good. It's as simple as that. Stick with the youngsters, and hope they turn out good. I do not think it is possible to pick a decent "trophy challenging" England side at the moment, so I ain't going to bother!

Mangle, I agree with you that the squad at this moment in time isn't good enough. That is plainly obvious and very clear for everyone to see. I didn't mean a decent trophy challenge England side, because at the moment that isn't possible. It would just be interesting to see people's thoughts. And if they were England manager, which players they would want to select and play.

stevieb, I completely agree. We should be looking to the future and really focus on getting the best out of these youngsters who, to be fair to them, look very promising at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately they were the better of two very poor sides.  England badly need a midfield play maker. Also we are taking too long getting the ball forward.  When we did we scored.    To often the ball went from side to side without penetration.  I think the manager has a problem in sorting out who he should pick.  I also think given time things will turn out fine but far to often we have had a team led by donkeys.  I also think the coaching has to be much better. It is the same old faces, Sammy Lee seems to pop up everywhere we need new younger and better coaches.    Stokes has the right idea but he is caught to often in possession.  Sterling continues to disappear up his own back side.  Can someone please tell him to keep his head up and look around him.  There were numerous times when going on a run he failed to see players wide of him waiting for the pass. How many more chances does he need.   .    

Rating 5 out of 10. 

You have to feel sorry for Scotland. They have one team dominating every season in a very average league so the manager has to pick players from English lower leagues. .    

I personally think most people criticise England all too often. Going forward on Friday evening I thought we were very good, and a number of players had very good games. However, defensively is where we most definitely seemed to struggle. I didn't have a problem with either of the two Spurs fullbacks, but I wasn't confident at all in watching Cahill or Stones. That is where one of the problems lie, or at least certainly after the Scotland game anyway. I do agree with ECPL, we need a midfield player, sort of like a CAM. A player who pops up in most areas of the pitch who can make things happen at any given moment in a game, as we don't have many players who can do that. And possibly look at other defensive options as well.

On 10/23/2016 at 21:45, Mangle said:

I'm not complaining about either. The squad at this moment in time is not very good. It's as simple as that. Stick with the youngsters, and hope they turn out good. I do not think it is possible to pick a decent "trophy challenging" England side at the moment, so I ain't going to bother!

Typical Goon,cant be bothered.

4 hours ago, JENGLE said:

I personally think most people criticise England all too often. Going forward on Friday evening I thought we were very good, and a number of players had very good games. However, defensively is where we most definitely seemed to struggle. I didn't have a problem with either of the two Spurs fullbacks, but I wasn't confident at all in watching Cahill or Stones. That is where one of the problems lie, or at least certainly after the Scotland game anyway. I do agree with ECPL, we need a midfield player, sort of like a CAM. A player who pops up in most areas of the pitch who can make things happen at any given moment in a game, as we don't have many players who can do that. And possibly look at other defensive options as well.

Agree Jengle we have a major problem at Center back,but who have we to challenge Stones/Cahill.

Also agree about the midfield,no one can take a game,like Scotland and dominate it.

Think we just have to admit,we are just an average international football team.

I think it's because managers want ready-made players. It's said that Man City have one of the best youth set ups in the country. How many of those youngsters will get experience in their first team. My quess is very few, if any. I think the  young players are good enough, but the managers won't take the risk.

Young English talent ????  They have to much to soon  money , cars, endorsements , agents blowing smoke up their jacksies , hangers on  , if they are good enough and hungry enough they will come through in their clubs , we can blame foreign imports but most have been good for the Premiership , the top players stay at the top through hard work , I am not his biggest fan but look at Ronaldo same age as Rooney but he still looks at his peak where as Rooney game has dropped off over the past couple of seasons , could it be lifestyles are different ?  Off track when Berkamp came to Arsenal after training finished he would carry on with taking free kicks no other player stayed behind  after a while all the squad joined in as the penny dropped if it was good enough for Berkamp it was good enough for them all . 

I think England are on their way, against Scotland I was disappointed with some of the first half tactics, the team came out for the second half with a slight change tactically and from then on Scotland were blown away, remember we have an interim manager, given the job on a permanent basis and gone will be the Hodgson/Neville tactic of passing back deeper and deeper to retain possession, I think Gareth Southgate will change things for a more exciting England, our problem against the Scots was employing that near disastrous sweeper keeper role, there were many times Cahill square passed or passed it backwards with 20 or 30 yards clear space in front of him to run into opening up the opposition defence, we are good enough to break at speed from defence into attack but the other defenders must be awake to what's occurring around them to cover the player breaking forward. There are times to pass back but I prefer the tactic of for one back pass let's see 2 passes forward.

Talking of Rooney's speed, I prefer to centre on his awareness of what is going on around him making himself available to others when they come face to face with the opposition, last night the commentator of the Portugal game commented about Ronaldo's speed loss and he has just signed a long term contract with Real Madrid. Rooney is needed NOW but I cannot see him playing in the next world cup, by then others will be breaking onto the scene, things are looking good for England for Moscow 2018.

On 13/11/2016 at 22:31, Goldeneye said:

I think it's because managers want ready-made players. It's said that Man City have one of the best youth set ups in the country. How many of those youngsters will get experience in their first team. My quess is very few, if any. I think the  young players are good enough, but the managers won't take the risk.

Agree.

You can use Torpoint's Jack Stephens as a prime example. Signed from Argyle by Southampton back in 2011 and still to start a league match with them!

He's good enough for England having played at under-18 all the way through to currently under-21, but has still not yet broken into the Southampton side. Instead has been out on loan to lower league sides.

Ok learning his trade some would say, but not at the moment gaining any playing time experience at the top level in league football. Instead the club are playing Dutch, Portuguese, Romanian, French etc, etc!

35 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Will never know if not given the opportunity because the top clubs go for the already established. 

That's right Dave. I would advise any young talented British footballer to go abroad, as soon as he can, to finish his education and play football. I recently read an article about a young lad who is doing that (can't remember his name). He's getting great experience playing in Holland and hopes to return to England in the next couple of years. He will have far more experience than others of the same age who stayed here.

Tottenham Hotspurs are giving their youngsters a chance to shine with FIVE in the England set up a case of proof of the pudding is in the playing when they are good enough, the England youth set up has many players in varying age groups maybe 30, 40 or 50 lads vying for the chance to shine, there are times a youth international team has mostly northern or southern players depending where the venue may be simply because at a young age there is little to choose between them, greatness can't be coached into players they have it or they haven't, EXPERT coaching can hone those skills, there are not that many good experts around to complete the finished article.

Good evening everyone I'm off to Wembley for a difficult game versus Espania. COME ON ENGLAND.

Yippee 3-0 - Now that was GGGGGGGGoooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddd

When mentioning 30, 40 or 50 in the England youth set up I should have indicated EACH AGE GROUP, makes me wonder why more west country lads don't get the call when the opportunities are greater now in the youth set up than ever before, perhaps the older generation are not highlighting the talents that may be within their midst.

57 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

Maybe people would have settled for a draw.

But good teams dont throw away 2-0 leads in the final minutes.

As it has been said ,its time we all realise we are not a good team.A little bit above average.I would say.

For goodness sake it's a friendly! If it was a qualification match the goalkeeper wouldn't have been changed at half time and I think Joe Hart would have stopped the 2nd Spain goal. I also think that England have improved in each match since Southgate has been in charge.

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

For goodness sake it's a friendly! If it was a qualification match the goalkeeper wouldn't have been changed at half time and I think Joe Hart would have stopped the 2nd Spain goal. I also think that England have improved in each match since Southgate has been in charge.

I rest my case.Big word IF.

Oh yes,we are really moving forward under Southgate.

2-0 up with minutes to go,against a Spainish reserve team,and havent got the professionalism to keep the ball and play the game out.

Basic football,and to blame the goalkeeper,just about sums up golden,what ever you are  called.

What about the pathetic defending,and the non attempt to cover Isco's run into the box.?

Goldeneye have you got any football sense.?

Some good points from last night , pressure on the ball  , (through gritted teeth ) Rose played well  , Vardy made a nuisance up front gave us a focal point , Better from Sterling but still needs to release the ball , Stones looked better alongside Jagielka ,  but they switched off to concede two  late goals , which was disappointing , so a better team performance  but lots to improve , agree only a friendly but Spain didn't want to lose and made the comeback ,. Probably to early for Eddie Howe so it looks like Southgate for the job , can't see any one else in the frame so good luck he will need it , as we are not among the elite of international football .

27 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Some good points from last night , pressure on the ball  , (through gritted teeth ) Rose played well  , Vardy made a nuisance up front gave us a focal point , Better from Sterling but still needs to release the ball , Stones looked better alongside Jagielka ,  but they switched off to concede two  late goals , which was disappointing , so a better team performance  but lots to improve , agree only a friendly but Spain didn't want to lose and made the comeback ,. Probably to early for Eddie Howe so it looks like Southgate for the job , can't see any one else in the frame so good luck he will need it , as we are not among the elite of international football .

Stones has so much potential,but has a hell of a lot to learn.

He was at fault for their first goal,he showed that Liverpool reject,so much room on his left foot,and he just curled it into the top corner.

The guy took it well but,Stones should have stopped the shot happening by closing down the space.Thats what defenders are meant to do.

As I said ,we may have looked a bit better,but it was against Spains B team.

1 hour ago, somersetspur said:

I rest my case.Big word IF.

Oh yes,we are really moving forward under Southgate.

2-0 up with minutes to go,against a Spainish reserve team,and havent got the professionalism to keep the ball and play the game out.

Basic football,and to blame the goalkeeper,just about sums up golden,what ever you are  called.

What about the pathetic defending,and the non attempt to cover Isco's run into the box.?

Goldeneye have you got any football sense.?

Just my honest opinion SSS. Players make mistakes just like the rest of us, (yourself excepted of course!).

I blame those IDIOTS with their Mexican wave, England were comfortable until that started, coasting to victory the crowd turn away from the football to act like oversized children, from then on the England players lost their concentration.

I unlike the many knockers was happy during the real part of the game prior to the substitutions, it was then a number showed they have a lot to learn or like Walcott past it, what did he do? Oh yes missed a sitter.

The reason for friendlies is to assess players on the fringe of the squad, I think a few seasoned internationals from yesterday will fall by the wayside. We have 2 years to peak when World Cup 2018 could be ours for the taking.

I hope Gareth Southgate gets the job and we have an England managerial set up devoid of know all TV Pundits who despite being good as players lack the organising ability required. Good to still see coach Sammy Lee as enthusiastic as ever gracing the Wembley turf.

2 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

I blame those IDIOTS with their Mexican wave, England were comfortable until that started, coasting to victory the crowd turn away from the football to act like oversized children, from then on the England players lost their concentration.

I unlike the many knockers was happy during the real part of the game prior to the substitutions, it was then a number showed they have a lot to learn or like Walcott past it, what did he do? Oh yes missed a sitter.

The reason for friendlies is to assess players on the fringe of the squad, I think a few seasoned internationals from yesterday will fall by the wayside. We have 2 years to peak when World Cup 2018 could be ours for the taking.

I hope Gareth Southgate gets the job and we have an England managerial set up devoid of know all TV Pundits who despite being good as players lack the organising ability required. Good to still see coach Sammy Lee as enthusiastic as ever gracing the Wembley turf.

Great post Mountaineer. Agree with everything you've said.

Please folks, just give give up. We have had 50 years of unfulfilled promise, potential, hope followed by despair. Two semi-finals in major tournaments equates to jack-s**t. We aint good enough! Good enough to qualify, usually get through the group but when the KO stages arrive we are proven wanting. Too much negativity. Next time, if there is one, just go for it!

On 14/11/2016 at 20:59, MOUNTAINEER said:

I think England are on their way, against Scotland I was disappointed with some of the first half tactics, the team came out for the second half with a slight change tactically and from then on Scotland were blown away, remember we have an interim manager, given the job on a permanent basis and gone will be the Hodgson/Neville tactic of passing back deeper and deeper to retain possession, I think Gareth Southgate will change things for a more exciting England, our problem against the Scots was employing that near disastrous sweeper keeper role, there were many times Cahill square passed or passed it backwards with 20 or 30 yards clear space in front of him to run into opening up the opposition defence, we are good enough to break at speed from defence into attack but the other defenders must be awake to what's occurring around them to cover the player breaking forward. There are times to pass back but I prefer the tactic of for one back pass let's see 2 passes forward.

Talking of Rooney's speed, I prefer to centre on his awareness of what is going on around him making himself available to others when they come face to face with the opposition, last night the commentator of the Portugal game commented about Ronaldo's speed loss and he has just signed a long term contract with Real Madrid. Rooney is needed NOW but I cannot see him playing in the next world cup, by then others will be breaking onto the scene, things are looking good for England for Moscow 2018.

Rooney certainly aware where the bar is ha ha ,  

For those who can only spell Rooney, he was not alone J A G I E L K A was also with him.

I support Rooney or others in similar circumstances 100 %. It was common knowledge his next game was not for another week so a beer or two is not a sin for someone physically fit even those who may be carrying a slight injury.

A real person he responded to a request to be photographed with the wedding party along with OTHERS.

It is a pity others in football don't do a Rooney and mix with the PAYING public.

Only down side is that it gave Mourinho a chance to have a dig at the FA following the ban they handed out to him this week.

Real football people are supporting WAYNE ROONEY. so they should.

14 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

Maybe Klopp is hoping to sign Rooney - That would go down well on Mersey side:wacko:

Klopp on Sky was very sympathetic to the Rooney cause.

Poor old Wayne he is always picked on , He is the England captain  on allegedly 300 K per week  a family man good to animals loves his club and country  gives photos when asked  time for the fans , knighthood around the corner , but perhaps not good at putting himself in a position  to have the media all over him if you don't want the spotlight keep out of it just a thought , no axe to grind with him but footballer's in general they want it all , protection when it suits publicity when needed  for their own ends . 

17 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

For those who can only spell Rooney, he was not alone J A G I E L K A was also with him.

I support Rooney or others in similar circumstances 100 %. It was common knowledge his next game was not for another week so a beer or two is not a sin for someone physically fit even those who may be carrying a slight injury.

A real person he responded to a request to be photographed with the wedding party along with OTHERS.

It is a pity others in football don't do a Rooney and mix with the PAYING public.

Only down side is that it gave Mourinho a chance to have a dig at the FA following the ban they handed out to him this week.

JOKE  ha ha  Mountaineer  

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Poor old Wayne he is always picked on , He is the England captain  on allegedly 300 K per week  a family man good to animals loves his club and country  gives photos when asked  time for the fans , knighthood around the corner , but perhaps not good at putting himself in a position  to have the media all over him if you don't want the spotlight keep out of it just a thought , no axe to grind with him but footballer's in general they want it all , protection when it suits publicity when needed  for their own ends . 

and we would all be the same if we were in their position!

Why is Wayne Rooney being singled out for doing what most people do on the odd occasion? He's had a few drinks, posed for photographs and stayed up late. Oh that's it, he's a professional footballer. It's like they aren't allowed a social life. People forget they are human beings sometimes.

2 hours ago, Mangle said:

He earns £300,000/week. That is a phenomenal amount of money. He is paid that to be in peak physical condition at all times, and obey the rules of his employers. He is the England captain etc etc.

...... and we will never know what a life like that is really like! We can only speculate what it's like to be in that world from the age of 16. I think, generally, over the years Rooney has dealt with it very well.

On 17/11/2016 at 19:50, MOUNTAINEER said:

Sorry I am in your imagination  my posts not REAL  , just fade away 

3 hours ago, Mangle said:

He earns £300,000/week. That is a phenomenal amount of money. He is paid that to be in peak physical condition at all times, and obey the rules of his employers. He is the England captain etc etc.

Mangle exactly , I am afraid his best days are behind him .  Goldeneye yes hell of a talent at sixteen and won lots at Utd , but he is 30 now  millionaire  you would think he would try to keep at the peak as best he can ,  look at Beckham when he was on the wane the legs weren't the same but he was still fit  , football players with today's coaches and nutritionist have no excuses to be at their best physically with the money they are paid , I will go back to a previous post Ronaldo same age his body is his living ,  as Mangle stated he is England's Captain , if it was OK  to go on the lash why has he apologised  ?  

Wow! Your all heart Stevieb! We don't know what else is going on his life, (nor should we). Perhaps he's not coping so well with the pressure towards the end of his carrer, perhaps he's feeling depressed. There is no point in comparing him to Beckham / Ronaldo as no two people are the same. If I was advising Rooney I would advise him to quit international football and enjoy his last few years of club football. He's got nothing else to prove. His place as a good guy and one the best ever premier league players is assured.:thumbsup:

On 17/11/2016 at 19:50, MOUNTAINEER said:

Sorry I am in your imagination  my posts not REAL  , just fade away 

48 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

Wow! Your all heart Stevieb! We don't know what else is going on his life, (nor should we). Perhaps he's not coping so well with the pressure towards the end of his carrer, perhaps he's feeling depressed. There is no point in comparing him to Beckham / Ronaldo as no two people are the same. If I was advising Rooney I would advise him to quit international football and enjoy his last few years of club football. He's got nothing else to prove. His place as a good guy and one the best ever premier league players is assured.:thumbsup:

Good goal scorer , good guy ?  One of the best ?   If as you say he may be depressed  that is a throw away comment and not a good thing to even comment on because mental illness is no joking matter . Been a good servant for utd but he has also been handsomely paid to do a job he supposedly loves , England's top goal scorer no doubt and yes he should bow out from England and get ready for one last pay day in MLS or China  , and yes I have a heart  but save my sympathy for those that deserve it not an overpaid footballer  or any footballer that is paid fantastic money for a job they supposed to love.

Stevieb, my mention of depression was not throw away comment as I have suffered bouts of it for many years. I was just pointing out that people can have things going on in their life that others are not aware of when they make judgements on them. As for what Rooney earns surely your criticism should be aimed at those that decide to pay the money not Rooney! I do have a lot of sympathy for footballers when they and their families are continually targeted by the press.

31 minutes ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

Stevieb the joke is on you this time, Rooney has received world wide acclaim for what he's achieved.

???? Have I missed something ? I know you are well traveled mountains but seems I live a hermit existence down here ?

6 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Stevieb, my mention of depression was not throw away comment as I have suffered bouts of it for many years. I was just pointing out that people can have things going on in their life that others are not aware of when they make judgements on them. As for what Rooney earns surely your criticism should be aimed at those that decide to pay the money not Rooney! I do have a lot of sympathy for footballers when they and their families are continually targeted by the press.

But they also can use the press eg leaking looking for a move , not playing ect  ,  agree family shouldn't be hounded  ,  I just have a different opinion on Rooney than you and Mountaineer , I am not saying he hasn't had a good career but he has never been world class , but then again nor has any of the current England team .   Sorry to hear that you have suffered depression it is an illness I wouldn't wish on anybody and I am talking from experience .

I think one of the problems with Rooney is that for all of his career so far he has abused officials and behaved in a thuggish manner . Because he always gives 100 % he has been tolerated and allowances have been made . Unfortunately now he is on the wain ( no pun intended ) people will no longer tolerate his behaviour and his past is catching up with him.

Another problem with sportsmen and to a degree some sportswomen is that they don't seem to balance the discipline required   for their sport and stray into the fantasy world of celebrity rather than concentrating on their profession . A classic case is Lewis Hamilton , admittedly he is a good driver and he's proved that , but his arrogant petulant behaviour coupled with his involvement with the celebrity set , has turned many formula 1 fans ( the die hard's not the once in a while watchers )  including many journalists against him . I think the same applies to our national football team . Agreed many players from the past drank more than they should but there wasn't the social media spies around then watching every move , people didn't climb over people to get a selfie etc. .It's a totally different world to what some of us older ones grew up in so we will have a different opinion that younger people . We could argue the point forever and never reach an agreement .

One of the many good things about this forum is that people either disagree or agree but they do so in an intelligent way and  accept the other persons view  and don't degrade them selves with  inpolite comments . Much of the debates about particular players hinges on whether you like the player or not and we all have an opinion of Rooney based on that .

20 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Rooney - over rated - always has been.

Can't stand the geezer.

Rooney is England's record goal scorer and needs 3 more goals to become Man Utd's record goal scorer. As a Man Utd fan I hope they can soon find another overrated player like Rooney!!! 

3 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Rooney is England's record goal scorer and needs 3 more goals to become Man Utd's record goal scorer. As a Man Utd fan I hope they can soon find another overrated player like Rooney!!! 

You need to find another manager first.

Rooney only has his goal record because of the dross there is in international football over the last number of years.

I'm surprised the Vatican hasn't entered a team into international football, any country with more than twelve residents can now become an international team.

Then Rooney can score some more "international" goals/penalties.