Cornwall Football Forum

Alan Carey leaves Bodmin Town

Well I don't think this has been posted yet, but Alan e-mailed me early this morning and I hope he won't mind me posting it for everyone in local football to know :

"Due to family commitments I have stepped down as manager of Bodmin, my decision to leave is not one I found easy to make, it as in fact taken a lot of thought and time to arrive at this point, I left the club before yesterday's game against Holsworthy with Daren Gilbert taking over. Darren will do a great job, his management skills will come to the front, I am sure.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with the club for their support throughout my reign as manager, I wish them all well for the future.

I would also like to thank Radio Cornwall for their efforts over the years I have been involved in some great games and those memories will stay with me forever."

Personally, I know Alan didn't always agree with some of my thoughts about him and his clubs, but I have always enjoyed interviewing him and hearing his views on local football.

For me, it's one less character to be seen each week at a Cornish football game. Don't stay away too long Alan.

:D Well Chairman, they ought to read the Cornish Guardian sports pages ....

Alan Carey has admitted he is already 'feeling a void' in his life - only five days after stunning Bodmin Town by quitting as manager.

The departure from Priory Park of the vastly-experienced and successful Carey, after four years in charge, came as a bolt out of the blue for a club he led to the South Western League title 18 months ago.

Assistant manager Darren Gilbert steps into the hot seat, with head coach Ronnie Swiggs continuing in his position.

Carey told Guardian Sport: "I have left for personal reasons really, because of family commitments. There comes a time when you've got to put other things in your life first.

"It's going to be difficult not to be involved in football. I've been playing since I was 12, right through to managing teams, so football has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember.

"To be honest I'm already feeling a void, and I am still coming to terms with my decision, but I need to take a back seat for the time being and see how things go.

"I'm still here for Gilbey if he needs to talk about anything, and I'd like to think that at some stage I could consider a return to football, but for the moment I have to give my time to other things."

Carey revealed that he had made his decision to stand down on Saturday morning, only hours before the side's home game against Holsworthy, which ended with a 2-0 victory.

He said: "I rang Gilbey and Ronnie to inform them of what I was doing, and they took charge of the team in the afternoon. I must admit I did stick my nose in at the ground to watch part of the game, although I stayed at the top of the ground, away from the action."

From there, Carey travelled 15 miles along the A38 to Dobwalls, where he watched his son Rob playing in attack for Hayle in the Peninsula League division one west game at Lantoom Park.

Guest Rubber Soul

It is interesting that this post was started by Dave Deacon publishing an email FROM Alan Carey, not from a newspaper supposedly getting it wrong, but Alan Carey himself.

In his own words, Alan Carey said to Dave Deacon in an email:

"Due to family commitments I HAVE STEPPED DOWN as manager of Bodmin, my decision to leave is not one I found easy to make, it as in fact taken a lot of thought and time to arrive at this point, I left the club before yesterday's game against Holsworthy with Daren Gilbert taking over. Darren will do a great job, his management skills will come to the front, I am sure.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with the club for their support throughout my reign as manager, I wish them all well for the future.

I would also like to thank Radio Cornwall for their efforts over the years I have been involved in some great games and those memories will stay with me forever."

That doesn't sound to me as though Alan Carey is still the manager of Bodmin Town, and references to 'rumours' in a poorly researched piece by the league's press officer in the Indy on Sunday are insulting to Alan Carey and to the Cornish Guardian, whose reporter spoke to Alan Carey last Monday and confirmed what Alan had said in his email to Dave Deacon.

The fact that Bodmin Town, and Darren Gilbert, don't seem to think Alan Carey has stepped down, is their problem, surely. They should take a couple of minutes to read Alan's email to Dave Deacon and then decide whether he has STEPPED DOWN AS MANAGER OF BODMIN.

I dont think it could have been stated more clearly by the man himself.

For what it's worth, I fully expect Alan to return to Bodmin at some stage, but to do so he will surely have to inform Dave Deacon and everybody else that he is returning to the club from which he, in his own words, has stepped down.

I also spoke to Alan on Saturday, inviting him to come on the radio to clear up the confusion!

We had a good chat and decided it probably wasn't such a good idea after all.

However in part answer to the confusion, yes you could be right in suggesting Alan could be back at Bodmin, he would like to be, but a few things have to be sorted out first.

Guest Rubber Soul

Has he stepped down then, Dave, as he said in his original email to you? Because Mr Sampson, the league's press officer, said in the Indy last weekend that the 'rumours' about Alan leaving were untrue.

I'm with you on this one - I believe Alan has stepped down. I also agree he could be persuaded to return to Bodmin before the end of the season.