Cornwall Football Forum

History in the Making

BE SURE NOT TO MISS THE MOST HISTORIC DAY IN THE HISTORY OF HELSTON ATHLETIC FOOTBALL CLUB 

BUILDBASE FA VASE (1st Round)

HELSTON ATHLETIC

v

TEAM SOLENT

MATCH SPONSOR - REBUILD SOUTH WEST

MATCH BALL SPONSOR - MSP PROPERTY MAINTENANCE

SATURDAY 22nd October 2016

KICK OFF 3.00pm

Adults: £5, Concession: £2.50,  U16's: £1

KELLAWAY PARK 

CLODGEY LANE

HELSTON

TR13 8PJ

'FREE' COLOUR MATCH DAY PROGRAMME

50/50 DRAW

HOT & COLD REFRESHMENTS

There are two "Universities" in Southampton. Southhampton University and Southampton Solent University. The latter, with whom Team Solent are affiliated was only founded in 2004 and used to be the old Southmapton BTec College.

This is no ordinary University student team. Solent University has an extremelly strong sport/phys Ed programme and offers a lot of sporting scholarships including to Olympic and olympic hopeful prospects. Team Solent play at Level 5 in the pyramid (one above SWPL Premier) and have a lot of players with experience at the professional level including Spurs, QPR to name a few.  Review of videos on you tube will show they are going to be quite a test for Helston on Saturday and their #10 in particular is a real handful.

With recents discussions on this board about the "Decline of Cornish Football" this would seem an ideal opportunity for people with an interest in local football to show up (its only a fiver admission and that includes a free programme) and support a local team who have become a real part of the community in the town.

A BIG thank you to all that attended Saturday's match.

Although things didn't quite go our way it was a great day for Helston Athletic Football Club, local community, and hopefully SWPL and football in Cornwall

Helston look forward to entering the FA Vase again next season along with hopefully making its debut appearance in the FA Cup

All the very best to those SWPL clubs that remain in this season's FA Vase competition 

For about 10 years now I have attended pretty much every Truro City home game, through the good and bad times but after the tripe being served up over the last few weeks by a team with now virtually no local connections, and off field problems, I have started to look to more local football. I have visited Helston on occasion when Truro have been away and always been most impressed with their set up. The Argyle Reserves game was a treat, whether it was fair to field so many Pro's? it was good to watch and a great test for the Helston lads. Last Tuesday was a cracker, 4-3 v Callington with 6 goals in the first 30 minutes, when did I last see entertainment like that at Truro? I also visited Wendron for the first time the day they say was possibly the best result in their history, the day they beat Falmouth in the Percy Stevens Cup recently. This was another friendly local club with a great pitch and facilities.

So this Saturday for the first time I chose Kellaway over Treyew Road and was glad I did, still only a fiver to get in as opposed to £13, a free program. The last time I bought one for £2 at Truro, the inside of the cover were blank pages, and great entertainment, I can honestly say the football being played in the games I have seen at Helston is better, they pass the ball not hoof it anywhere, the passion is clearly there because they are local lads playing for their local team, add to this the excellent pitch and facilities at Kellaway Park.

You have something to be proud of, so well done Paul H and all involved at the club and I will look forward to watching more games with the both of you.

On 25 October 2016 at 08:13, prazeyrunner said:

For about 10 years now I have attended pretty much every Truro City home game, through the good and bad times but after the tripe being served up over the last few weeks by a team with now virtually no local connections, and off field problems, I have started to look to more local football. I have visited Helston on occasion when Truro have been away and always been most impressed with their set up. The Argyle Reserves game was a treat, whether it was fair to field so many Pro's? it was good to watch and a great test for the Helston lads. Last Tuesday was a cracker, 4-3 v Callington with 6 goals in the first 30 minutes, when did I last see entertainment like that at Truro? I also visited Wendron for the first time the day they say was possibly the best result in their history, the day they beat Falmouth in the Percy Stevens Cup recently. This was another friendly local club with a great pitch and facilities.

So this Saturday for the first time I chose Kellaway over Treyew Road and was glad I did, still only a fiver to get in as opposed to £13, a free program. The last time I bought one for £2 at Truro, the inside of the cover were blank pages, and great entertainment, I can honestly say the football being played in the games I have seen at Helston is better, they pass the ball not hoof it anywhere, the passion is clearly there because they are local lads playing for their local team, add to this the excellent pitch and facilities at Kellaway Park.

You have something to be proud of, so well done Paul H and all involved at the club and I will look forward to watching more games with the both of you.

Thank you for your kind words prazerunner - greatly appreciated indeed. Hopefully see you at Kellaway Park this evening for Helston v St Blazey, our final midweek match of the calendar year. Everyone else also welcome of course.     

I was there Paul, and thoroughly enjoyed another entertaining night, Shame its the last mid-week game as under the lights always adds to the atmosphere. I thought St Blazey despite their lowly league position gave Helston a good game and I certainly will be back. Top burgers and the chicken nuggets went down well with my lad too, good football and good food, live football beats televised any day.

Ps, we ran together at Carn many moons ago.

• 3 weeks later...