Cornwall Football Forum

sunday league minutes silence

Guest Urban Spaceman

anita what a stupid thing to say, why not stop for 1 minute at 11, if it wasnt for those brave men and women they might not have been playing football, so have a bit of respect eh, its not ideal i agree, my grandad died in the war and if i was playing on sunday and the ref stopped the game halfway through the 1st half for one minute i wouldnt mind. so think before you give your opinion.

and its not just a minutes silence

Bushy mate, I agree that it would only be fair to have a minutes silence at the correct time and it shows respect for those who died for their countries, The unfortunate thing is that we live in a society where people have no respect and dont give a monkeys about history, I dont agree that you should have a pop at Anita as she was only saying her piece and in someways has a point as it would be a little difficult to stop a game bang on 10.59 for a minutes silence at 11 am although i myself would be only to glad to do it.

I think the main thing is that providing a minutes silence is shown as a mark of respect and people understand exactly why it is done then before the k/o should be just fine.

I myself had a family member die for his country and have always shown my respects on that front but thats me and my opinion as for everyone else well they have their own thoughts on the subject and they are entitled to it.

All the best fella

Fantastic point from Bushy there i think. These brave men and women died for our freedom and stopping a football match for a minute half an hour into the game isnt going to hurt anyone. I personally feel very strongly about this, the game should be stopped at 11:00, regardless of common sense. Surely running over a muddy field strait into machine gun fire wouldnt be considered as common sense but these people still did it. For us.

Yeah that would be a good idea. Maybe they could do that in future. Another idea would be to just move the kick off to a minute past eleven. I know it would be awkward for the league, the players and officials and fixture makers but its a small sacrifice to make when compared to the sacrifice made by the people we are remembering. :c: