Cornwall Football Forum

good foul or cheating ?

panda

I have been watching the Bundesliga game and there was a player going through the defence about 30 yards out when he was deliberately pulled back by a defender who was yellow carded. Owen Hargreaves who was summarising was praising the defender as if he had scored a goal saying what a great foul it wasand he should be pleased with himself . maybe if they made all deliberate fouls  a red card players would think twice about committing this offence.If this is the way football is going I think I might start watching the oval ball game !!

17 hours ago, Keith B said:

You're right panda, it's cheating. Sadly these days you even hear the tv pundits positively encouraging it at times eg, Hargreaves. Commentators also add to this by saying ''he's won a free kick or penalty''. Surely you are awarded a free kick for having been fouled - to suggest you won a free kick, suggests that you dived !

Keith football players diving ? What ever next  ?  Trying to con referee's no not professional players surely ? 

Keith, I wouldn't say it's a rarity , it has been creeping in to the local game now for quite a few years now. I have had players go down with a loud shout but no contact made also players deliberately falling over an outstretched leg, the main one is where slight contact brings on a artistic fall and scream which in no way was caused by the contact, another one is where an attacker plays the ball around a defender and then runs straight into him screaming for a free kick, to me these are all in the same context of trying to deceive or manipulate the referee.

Sorry Keith have to agree with Mr. Manning  have seen some players collapse as if they have been shot , never happened in my day you only went down if you were hurt  as it was a sign of weakness ,  mind you it did happen to me once at Dallas many years ago I was in goal and  a player dived after a tackle from me , made my blood boil and I chased him out of the area , my teammates had to calm me down  worse was he was built like a brick toilet block . Mind you next cornerr that came in I punched away and clattered him as well  .

Just now, stevieb said:

Sorry Keith have to agree with Mr. Manning  have seen some players collapse as if they have been shot , never happened in my day you only went down if you were hurt  as it was a sign of weakness ,  mind you it did happen to me once at Dallas many years ago I was in goal and  a player dived after a tackle from me , made my blood boil and I chased him out of the area , my teammates had to calm me down  worse was he was built like a brick toilet block . Mind you next cornerr that came in I punched away and clattered him as well  .

Should be Malpas 

not Dallas  bloody predicted text 

I follow several sports and have come to the conclusion that football is the only sport where players openly cheat , commentators generally condone it , and players and management abuse the officials . I watched most of the Manchester derby yesterday and couldn't believe that more players weren't booked for foul play and dissent .I think back to the days of Billy Wright , Bobby Moore , Martin Peters ( the list is endless ) and compare them to the England captain .How embarrassing that a man like him should be the captain of England .To cap it all , apparently Mouriniho is now criticising yesterdays officials .

As regards diving etc. at the lower levels ( real football which is gradually disappearing ) I'm sure that over the next few years this will happen more and more . We have to bear in mind that it isn't just children who copy the professionals , most grown up's do to  

It certainly is in local football now, do players get injured in every tackle now (?) like they do on the old telly games.

I played for 27 years, and got injured twice, both occasions something broke (!) other than that - get the feck up - and get on with it.

But then - we were 10 times tougher than they are now.:P

Yup, we have players now who can't play because THEIR physio said so :wacko:

Jeez, if I got crocked on a Saturday and was still limping on the Monday - off to work, then up to casualty to see if summat was broke.

If not - 2 aspirins, and play Tuesday night.

My father used to shake his head and tell me I would  pay for it - he was right - it hurts more now than when it happened 40 years ago.

Would I do  it again - yes - but would be sent off in the warm up now :SM_carton:

Its strange to think that there were some , shall we say robust tackles , in all levels of the game in the past but very few cautions or sendings off . I can't recall anyone being booked for dissent , perhaps we didn't argue with the ref because we'd been brought up with more discipline at home and at school .In fact cautions were so rare that our local paper used to publish county FA discipline results and this would consist of a few lines .This covered 4 leagues totalling almost 100 clubs in the 60's . If they did it now it would fill half a page and there are far less clubs .

Many professional players are thicker than 2 short planks , they don't seem to grasp that arguing is pointless . They also commit pointless fouls in dangerous positions and the free kicks often result in a goal . Managers must be almost as thick because they don't seem to get them to change their ways . It's easier to blame the officials . The media of course must share the blame as they dwell on an honest mistake by a human being but rarely if ever blame a player for missing an open goal or a misplaced pass .

2 hours ago, fenman said:

Its strange to think that there were some , shall we say robust tackles , in all levels of the game in the past but very few cautions or sendings off . I can't recall anyone being booked for dissent , perhaps we didn't argue with the ref because we'd been brought up with more discipline at home and at school .In fact cautions were so rare that our local paper used to publish county FA discipline results and this would consist of a few lines .This covered 4 leagues totalling almost 100 clubs in the 60's . If they did it now it would fill half a page and there are far less clubs .

Many professional players are thicker than 2 short planks , they don't seem to grasp that arguing is pointless . They also commit pointless fouls in dangerous positions and the free kicks often result in a goal . Managers must be almost as thick because they don't seem to get them to change their ways . It's easier to blame the officials . The media of course must share the blame as they dwell on an honest mistake by a human being but rarely if ever blame a player for missing an open goal or a misplaced pass .

Well said that man.