Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Argyle Pro's v St Austell Afc

I know it seems a bit unfair that blokes who have had to work all day after getting out of bed early etc, full day's work and rush all the way up to Newton Abbot to play against blokes that have probably had a day off with a light lunch, proper preparation etc but to be fair to Argyle the starting team that played the Saints had 4 players not in the squad on Saturday, 4 that were unused substitutes, and 3 that came on late in the game. So I don't think there was anything underhand about what Argyle did, it was just players that needed game time and perhaps Derek Adams thought playing against very good opposition it would be a decent run out for those players? I would take it as a compliment and move on. You'll probably be able to count the amount of times this might happen this season on one hand with the busy League 2 schedule Argyle have. 

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

Spot on Home Waters. I think that if Argyle win the SWPL this season, they should be forced to take promotion or, be taken out of this league anyway. Especially so  if, by winning it and not taking promotion, they stop others from the chance of promotion.

What? Like all the other clubs who have won the league and then refused promotion? 

It's only 4/5 games into the season - Argyle Reserves are a long long way away from winning anything.

If they field the same team in all fixtures of course they would win the league - but it won't happen. It just suited Argyle this week (sorry St Austell but I don't think it was because they were playing you it was timing for them). No doubt some other teams will get battered (more then 6-0) during the season when it suits Argyle but their 'normal' Reserve side, good though it is will not be top 3. 

Only real impact is to St Austells pride and a very slight dent in their title hopes. 

Both St Austell and the SWPL (profile) appear to be getting a pasting in the Plymouth based press this morning?

Basically in support of Argyle being able to do as exactly as they please.

Irrespective of a balanced opinion (or not) it comes across as an extremely arrogant outburst from the local media.

The phrase "Its all gone a bit pear-shaped" comes to mind?

According to Phil Hiscox, as a pyramid league there are no restrictions on who can play providing they are registered with the league.

Harsh as it may be, Clubs have been strengthening their sides for important games for years even in junior football.

If Plymouth win the league hopefully they will take promotion and move on up through the pyramid system unlike others who have chosen to stay put as a big fish in a small pond.

Finances no doubt are the main reason for the decision to stay put but without promotion and relegation things stagnate.

10 minutes ago, Pedro said:

According to Phil Hiscox, as a pyramid league there are no restrictions on who can play providing they are registered with the league.

Harsh as it may be, Clubs have been strengthening their sides for important games for years even in junior football.

If Plymouth win the league hopefully they will take promotion and move on up through the pyramid system unlike others who have chosen to stay put as a big fish in a small pond.

Finances no doubt are the main reason for the decision to stay put but without promotion and relegation things stagnate.

which Plymouth are you talking about ?

18 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Plymouth based papers that rely on Argyle for a large chunk of their football content are surely going to support their team!

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Which ever one they choose to play?

All it was, you suggested Plymouth  ?  and promotion - as explained in all the entries here - Plymouth Argyle cannot get promoted beyond step 6. Where as Plymouth Parkway can and indeed hope to do so, as outlined by our Chairman sometime ago within this forum.

This argument has gone on too long now not a word would of been said if St Austell had beaten that Plymouth side Plymouth reserves wont play this sort of side every week i expect tonight they will play a lot weakened team im looking forwaard to seeing Argyle reserves at Newquay Godolphin and at St Austell 

11 hours ago, THE BALD ONE said:

How does that work Goldeneye.

Many years ago I was speaking to someone who played for Notts Forest when they were in the old Division 1. He said that to become a better player the top 3 things you should do are:- 1. Train efficiently. 2. Train consistently. 3. Play against the best opposition you possibly can.

Poor St Austell, my heart bleeds for them.  Lets have it right, Bodmin, St Austell, Parkway etc have been spending their way to success every season. Now Argyle have come into the equation with better resources . Well tough shit !!  Accept the challenge and get on with it instead of whinging and whining about it. 

Hopefully it will be good for home gates to have recognised pro players playing in Cornwall, which would be great for all the clubs who have to compete with "very limited financial resources".

One things for sure, you wont hear anybody at Godolphin feeling sorry for themselves. It will be just another challenge to accept

Get a grip !!!!

My mate's computer is playing up so he asked me to post this on his behalf :wacko::

I'm just back from watching my beloved St Austell, who I've been supporting ever since we started winning, and we were robbed for the second time this week. Following the debacle against Argyle, today Tiverton also very unscrupulously selected some really good players, who then decided not to share the ball with us for long periods of the match. Don't they realise that we're St Austell and that therefore they're meant to just roll over quietly and let us hammer them? It's just this sort of disrespectful behaviour that makes the league so unfair.
And that's not all. Our players had to drive about a hundred miles to the match but most of their team live close to Tiverton. How is that right? Surely the game should have been at our ground so our success supporters could watch without having to travel far. Everybody knows they don't like going to away games. 
And what about their pitch? We're used to playing on a pitch that resembles running up the side of a mountain, not a perfectly flat one like Ladysmead. 
I don't think Tiverton played ball at all. Their squad included Ethan Phillips. He's bound to be related to Kevin Phillips, who scored loads of goals in the Premier league. St Austell can hardly be expected to deal with any relative of his. And Tiverton had Jordan Bastin, whose grandad was probably Cliff Bastin, who played for Arsenal and England, and who no doubt passed on lots of tips. 
The home team were sneaky in other ways too. Their dressing room was five yards closer to the pitch than ours so they didn't have to walk so far. And their yellow shirts were much easier to see and to pass to than ours. How are we supposed to win the title only then to decide not to take promotion, in the face of such underhand tactics, notwithstanding our massively superior playing budget? I'm thinking of making an official protest to the league.

Your friend has won the internet today... Okay that's a bit extreme...Well, certainly the CFF!!

Personally, I would love to play against a bunch of professionals. It would make me realise exactly who I could of been.... If I was actually any good at football.

1 minute ago, JENGLE said:

A bit of humour once in a while won't go a miss. Dange'rous, I too would love the chance to play against professionals, if only I was ever good enough to have that chance! ;) 

We should go training with a SWPL side. I recon if I spike their orange juice, we could be in with a chance! Bring it Plymouth ?????????

I watched the game on the Cornwall Channel... Yes it's not the result that St Austell wanted, but it is a learning curve. There's nothing wrong with clubs tasting defeat once in a while. It brings you back down to earth.

Haha, brilliant. It's the only chance I'd get of making it to that sort of level! ;) I to watched the game on Cornwall Channel, and have my own opinions on it. But the debate will go on and on, so I'll just watch it all unfold on here instead! ;) The result against Plymouth would definitely be a learning curve for St Austell. Seeing it as a positive, it could help them going forward. Who knows?!