Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Argyle Pro's v St Austell Afc

Well I've just come back from the match this evening and what an absolute joke. I was looking forward to an even contest. How can St Austell players compete against 8 full time Pro's. One currently being an international player for his country. Having the distance to travel on a Tuesday, and all the St Austell squad having to work all day. To be put against these type of players who probably had a light lunch and a steady jog during the afternoon is not fair on the league. As I was told Plymouth Argyle res was only going to be a youth development side to bring on the youngsters. Where we're the league top dogs this evening. No where to be seen. And one actually lives at Newton Abbot. Or did they know what team would be playing this evening. A absolute disgrace.

I also would love to find out where the 18 players that were named in tonights programme were. 

As a fan of St Austell I don't mind losing but they should not be allowed to play football in the league with so many Pro's.  

I have to agree with "The unknown", this is unacceptable and a thorough investigation should be under taken by the League Secretary.

Whilst we all want to see Plymouth Argyle first team progress up through the leagues, damaging and i mean damaging the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League in the process is unacceptable.

I didn't see this result coming as I too believed that Argyle " Reserves " was to be a development team. A team which has so many full time professional turning out shouldn't be playing at Step 6. When I learnt of the result I suspected that Argyle fielded a very strong team. This will always be a problem when a League club has its Reserves playing in an inappropriate level. However we must move on to the next match. 

It's for results like this, that they should never have been let back in the Swp league. They pulled out because it was to competitive before. Now their back and playing first team players. Not on really. 1 or 2 players you can understand but 7 or 8 begins to make the result a joke. Saying that the standard of the league is pretty awful at the moment. With ridiculous score lines and poor crowds maybe having a good Argyle team playing will help boost a few crowds at least.

54 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's for results like this, that they should never have been let back in the Swp league. They pulled out because it was to competitive before. Now their back and playing first team players. Not on really. 1 or 2 players you can understand but 7 or 8 begins to make the result a joke. Saying that the standard of the league is pretty awful at the moment. With ridiculous score lines and poor crowds maybe having a good Argyle team playing will help boost a few crowds at least.

Agree with Paul here. Very poor standard of football indeed. Infact maybe the worst I have seen in all my years of football. I to sympathise with St.Austell

As a so called "reserve" side, you expect there to be the odd first teamer coming back from injury, or out of favour needing minutes, that happens.  But to field 7/8 full time pro's makes a mockery of the league, also, how would the lads that were dropped (after a good start to the season) be feeling, knowing that they could be going helston away, falmotuh away, and playing well, but knowing all along that they could be dropped for a game here and there just because a 1st teamer fancies a game or Derek Adams has clapped his hands.  I also didn't think Pro's were allowed to play outside of pro football?  All in all a poor show by Argyle and the league.  There should be a rule whereby they can only name/field/play a max of 3 pro's or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Plymouth Argyle are using this league for practice matches, hence so many first team players. Should be stopped. 

Can't agree pastyman - I don't wish to see Argyle 'progress up through the leagues'. Argyles progress or otherwise, won't bring any benefits to Cornwall. :c:

Sorry Keith B, but that is one of the saddest comments you have made on this forum. 

Surely Plymouth Argyle progressing up through the league and perhaps having some cup success will have a "knock on" effect to local football. Please don't be so small minded.

Caught in two minds on this one. Yes, it's what a reserve team is for; but it does show a complete lack of respect by Argyle for the actual league structure they are fielding their reserve teams in and a lack of respect towards their opponents, not just St Austell, but all league teams. It is quite likely that this result will have a pretty big impact come what May. 

Don't most professional reserve teams play in a 'reserve league'?

Just a few points I'd like to raise and it would be great if anyone could provide an answer?

1) Is their no rule in place as to how many 'first team' players they can play? For example, if a Combo team or junior side can only play a certain amount of players that have 'dropped down' a league at any one time. For example, if our first team were without a game, our reserve team could only field 2 of those players. Does a similar rule not apply, if not then why not? 

2) Following a discussion on Twitter last night, it was established that - hypothetically - if we wanted to sign a contracted Plymouth Argyle player we would have to pay a fee or loan and not be allowed to put 7 days in for a player. What would happen if their reserve team wanted to sign a player from the SWPL league, would they just have to put 7 days in? If so, hardly fair.

3) This was answered last night, but I'd love to see the process that they go through to sign on players to the SWPL. I believe it's the same form, do they sign this when they sign their contract? 

The difficulty is the league surely cannot advise any team who can and cannot play for them.  If Argyle want to play pros in a reserve team they can, for whatever reason they want (injuries, trial tactics/formations etc).  Not saying its right but its difficult to control.

Similarly peninsula league teams have had 'ringers' playing for them from Tiverton, Weymouth and Truro, again the league had no control over that either.

St Austell fans should take it as a compliment that Argyle fielded such a strong team. Not a bad result for them only conceding 6. Maybe St Austell should have taken promotion in previous years and then they wouldn't have been in this position. It's all too easy being a big fish in a little sea and now the boot is on the other foot they don't like it. Sing when your winning. COYG!!

At every ground the Plymouth Argyle Reserves play this year im sure it will boost the attendances at these grounds ,its not fair playing so many pros in the Argyle team but its good to watch quality football the only team that i think will beat the Reserves will  be Parkway but not every week Argyle will be putting out such a strong side i think Derek Adams will be crafty and put a strong team out against St Austell ,Tavi Bodmin ,Saltash Parkway Godolphin and weaker sides dare i say it Newquay , Witheridge St Blazey and the others 

Ive got to disagree with alot of whats being said here.

This is Plymouth reserve side. They have got another side together to allow them to bring players through give others a run out and that's what the are doing.

They are looking to progress as a club and be stronger. There are no other leagues for them to go into and play against good competitive sides. So they got to start somewhere.

They haven't broken any rules so not sure why people are moaning about it.   

With the greatest respect I am sure Argyle didnt give two hoots who their opposition were, if the manager instructed the Reserve manager that certain players had to play then so be it. Not for one minute should anyone believe that just because it was St.Austell they 'bumped' up on players. Bottom line is with what they have at their disposal, on the there day they can & will beat any side in this league, by any amount of goals they wish to. It wont be the first or last time this season they give out a whipping.

Not buying this from St Austell.

Surely teams in this league are aware that Plymouth Argyle would use this league to give run-outs to senior players when needed. They done it last season in the West League with the likes of Harvey, Rooney so are always going to do it this season.

I know that last season St Austell signed players from leagues higher towards the end of the season to strengthen their squad for a title push......did other teams complain about that???

You got beat last night, deal with it, move on.

13 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Not buying this from St Austell.

Surely teams in this league are aware that Plymouth Argyle would use this league to give run-outs to senior players when needed. They done it last season in the West League with the likes of Harvey, Rooney so are always going to do it this season.

I know that last season St Austell signed players from leagues higher towards the end of the season to strengthen their squad for a title push......did other teams complain about that???

You got beat last night, deal with it, move on.

best comment on here. Totally right. 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

At every ground the Plymouth Argyle Reserves play this year im sure it will boost the attendances at these grounds ,its not fair playing so many pros in the Argyle team but its good to watch quality football the only team that i think will beat the Reserves will  be Parkway but not every week Argyle will be putting out such a strong side i think Derek Adams will be crafty and put a strong team out against St Austell ,Tavi Bodmin ,Saltash Parkway Godolphin and weaker sides dare i say it Newquay , Witheridge St Blazey and the others 

Yes they will attract bigger crowds at away grounds for folks who want to see some 1st team players and hopefully aspiring youngsters . You may be right in that Derek Adams will field a stronger side when they play the top clubs, like they did last night. Unfortunately we can only bleat about it and there is nothing we can do, so we have to accept it and move on. 

To le boss

It's got nothing to do with the loss St Austell had last night it was the complete golf in the two sides. The league at mo is very strong at the top with at least 6 teams that could win the title. Which is far better than it has been in the past. Saying a big fish in a little pond, ye maybe but St Austell nearly went out of existence not that long ago but for a few people who couldn't let this happen. The pyramid system doesn't help the cornish teams to go to the next level. The amount of travelling for many cornish based players who many have to work and much more expense for local clubs to find is completely out of the question. 

I'm not sure i agree with comments regarding other clubs using players from Tiverton, Weymouth etc.  Those players aren't full time pro's, so there is a big difference between someone like Jack Crago for example compared to Carey who played last night, so to say other clubs use higher league players aswell doesn't wash off with me.  As i mentioned earlier, you understand and accept they will play the odd 1st teamer now and again, thats not the issue I think the problem is when they field 2 thirds of a team with 1st team full time pro's.  Just doesn't seem right.

19 minutes ago, The unknown said:

To le boss

It's got nothing to do with the loss St Austell had last night it was the complete golf in the two sides. The league at mo is very strong at the top with at least 6 teams that could win the title. Which is far better than it has been in the past. Saying a big fish in a little pond, ye maybe but St Austell nearly went out of existence not that long ago but for a few people who couldn't let this happen. The pyramid system doesn't help the cornish teams to go to the next level. The amount of travelling for many cornish based players who many have to work and much more expense for local clubs to find is completely out of the question. 

Perhaps you should have been playing football and not golf!! Expense for club to find? Don't hear you complaining when you spend heavily each week to field players from all over the county - and to what end? Winning the league and a few local cups for minimal prize money season after season? Where is the ambition in that? So as i have said, big fish in little pond.

I believe the SWPL have their hands tied in this matter, however, they should never have accepted Argyle in the first place into the SWPL. But maybe it's something they can take to the FA and perhaps see a rule change in pros playing in grass roots leagues. I also seem to remember, as many people are arguing, that this side would be a development side and not a 'reserve side'. It's also just bad luck with fixtures, if Argyle 'firsts' had a mid week game like they did when they played Torpoint then St Austell wouldn't have faced that side. All I can see is that having accepted Argyle benifits them only and the 'prestige' of the league somehow which I imagine the SWPL board wanted as to reflect well on them. It's backfired already. That side should be playing minimum western league football. 

Le boss 

When you are playing for league titles and cups you are not interested in what money you can win it's the prestige. It took a very long time for St Austell to win the league. The only comps money can be important,is a good run in the Fa cup and vase so that little cornish teams can invest, in running their clubs. As for St Austell 80 % of the footballers are from the St Austell area. Argyles team last night would of cost between 5 the 10 grand to field. Same as the Fa cup prize for winning is £180000 which would never be enough to cover wages at a top Prem side 

It's the same as all football leagues and it happens throughout Cornish football, particularly at the beginning and end's of seasons. Players from a higher standard team will play for a much lower team in a lower league and get them results they could never have dreamed of without the additional higher standard players. I'm pretty sure Liam Eddy of St Austell dropped down (6 leagues) to play for Helston 3's when St Austell never had a game last season.

Regardless of the result the clubs and players should be delighted to test themselves against opposition of this quality! Granted on a Saturday afternoon when the first team are playing the side will be completely different! My view is it was an excellent opportunity for some very good St Austell players to test themselves! For me it's a major plus to have this kind of quality playing in our league 

How can you compare 8 professional players to Liam Eddy playing for Helston 3rds and Copp and Wannel playing for St Austell last season? 

Players dropping down the leagues has and will continue to happen but again how can you compare this to playing against professionals?

I can take losing, it's part of the game and if Argyle played their development side and beat us, not a problem but to play 8 professionals is a massive unfair advantage. I would not be happy them doing this against anyone but now they have, it should be every game! 

People mention about money. We have a hard working committee, especially Lea Cooper who goes out and finds sponsorship. No one moaned about St Austell 8 seasons ago when they were the laughing stock of the league 

Oh dear 'the chickens have come home to roost'. I have said many times here that PAFC will only cause problems if allowed to join the league. I said this prior to them joining div 1 and then getting promotion. The past is littered with failures by argyle to commit to local football in their area this is another glaring failure.

The league stretched the rules to allow them in and should have stretched the rules to not allow them in.

They have received favourable fixtures in relation to the fact that they are not allowed to use 'their ground' after march - hence the league have arranged their home fixtures all early in the season, without thought to other Premier clubs. They have NIL home fixtures scheduled for January, ONE in February and ONE in march.

Under the FA rules they are not allowed to go higher in the pyramid system than Step 6, where they are now, irrespective of what position they finish. If Exeter City reserves and Torquay Utd reserves joined the league you could end up with those clubs all in the top three and therefor no club could ever get promotion ( despite the arguments over that).

There is a vast difference between A Professional Club using full time contract players and a club in our Premier League using players from time to time who are registered with them.

WHY have a club in a pyramid system that cannot move up the pyramid, but just sets its self against others in  that league. Why, because Argyle do not have the money or the initiative to arrange a reserve league for professional clubs in the southern half of England.

Argyle bring nothing to football in the South West, nothing to this terrific league we have, nothing to liaise with local clubs and are completely devoid of any sense of loyalty to the South West local clubs who strive so hard to develop this  pyramid system.

midweek matches everyone loads up with players who normally would not be there on a saturday , if they have broke no rules thats fine you just have to get on with it , Let me ask this if St Austell 2nds had a game and the first didnt would you use some of your first team , answer i would suggest is yes,  

15 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

Can someone say what is the point of having a club in the league, that cannot move up through the pyramid - its no good addressing the issue of players look at the wider scene I have explained.

No one who is eligible ever seems to take promotion so having a team who isn't eligible wouldn't appear to make much difference to the future potential constitution of the league anyway.

There seem to be three threads here. The first is the 'irony' of some connected with St Austell complaining about being beaten in the league by a team who had players who should be playing higher level football and with far greater resources - they might now know how some of the smaller teams in the league feel. 

Secondly the issue of playing higher ranked players - everyone knows the rules and I am sure most have been on both sides of it. It has always seemed fairer that only two 'senior players' can play in junior matches and yet in senior football teams can field as many players as they want from higher ranked teams (duly registered). The number of League cups or relegation / promotion matches that have taken place with 'unrecognisable' teams. If it suits the Argyle first team manager to play 8 first team squad players in the reserves then he can and WILL and no matter how unfair it seems it is within the rules. He can also take the entire reserve team and play them in the first team if he wants and play 16 year olds in the league - he will have little regard as to how that helps the SWPL. However I think you will find that all the Argyle Reserve players are professionals - they are on contract and their full time job is football - not just the ones who played last night.

The final issue is should Argyle Reserves be in the league. When they were set to join the SWPL West it was sold as a Deveolopment Squad - 16 to 20 year olds who were not part of the Academy process but who if they did well could impress and have a chance of getting into the Argyle pro circuit - everyone would support giving youngsters a chance. They were also supposed to play in Plymouth. Neither happened - they played at Seale Hayne (Troquay Uniteds old academy pitch) which I would be surprised met ground grading and then Devon FA - again I thought SWPL teams had to have their own pitch.  Their squad last year was comprised of Academy players and those who were post Academy (18+), professionals but not a regular part of the first team squad. This year will be the same with occasional first team players (St Austell were unlucky that they caught so many squad players). There is no benefit to the SWPL by Argyle Reserves being in it, the benefit is all to Argyle having a cheap medium to give their players a run out / fitness test. I am not certain whether the SWPL had a real choice in this but it's too late now - they can't be kicked out for being too good (occasionally) and I think Home Waters is right that they can go no further.  To say it reflects well on the league to have a League Two reserve side in it, somewhat undervalues the contribution of officials and players in the league.

Sure this is going to roll on and perhaps something club secretaries should take up with the league and Argyle?

I still don't get how people can compare Liam Eddy playing for Helston 3rds and the likes of Carey playing last night.  The fact is, the Argyle team are a "Development" squad, now, 8 first team pro's aren't at the "Development" stage, the youngsters fighting for a contract are the ones that should be playing here! With every game the first team players play, it means that is 1 less game for the youngsters who are there every week to try and impress and earn a contract as they have to sit out because the first team fancy chucking in a few players. I wonder how happy they are with it?

They are called Plymouth Argyle......not Plymouth Argyle Development. That therefore enables them to play whoever they want from the resources available. They are a professional outfit as well as a business who want to obtain the best possible results for their first team and if using games like this means helping them do it, then so be it.

Bodmin pulled in River Allen last season from Gateshead, they paid him more in a week than some Torquay Utd players were getting at the start of that season.

Accept it and move on, it will happen to other clubs.

Just shows how good some players aren't at this level when put against pro's.

I would have loved to have played against a pro side in my day, to see how piss poor I really was.

But by heck I would have enjoyed it.

Only lost 6 - 0 bloody good result in my eyes.

Every team in the league beefs their team up when they can - no difference to me.

Get over it, and get on with it.

Hope we draw them in a cup match - and bring the whole 1st team squad.......and we win.

As has been stated the team is Plymouth Argyle (Plymouth Argyle 'A' to me) and if a player is signed and registered then he is eligible to play. Argyle have done this before and they can field a full first team if they so choose. It all depends on the club's attitude. If they feel the need to field strong teams in order to win the league then so be it. If your team is on the receiving end then that's the way it is.

In the 1950s some seasons Argyle would be strong and on some days would be awful. It's just the luck of the draw. St Austell once faced Plymouth Argyle Reserves (the Combination team) as they didn't have a game. It was normally the 'A's that played in the SWL.

Also in the 1950s Bideford and Barnstaple Town would play two games on the same day with their first teams (Western League) playing one of them.

Nanpean SWL played a Combination match and Penzance first team also fulfilled a Combo game in Dave Wadd's reign to enable the squad to stay match fit.

Unless it was a situation like in the Scottish Cup when the 'big boys' play their Under 20 team, Argyle have broken no rules and people just have to accept what has happened.

Falmouth Town in the SWL and Illogan RBL in the Combo have both won the league despite losing a league game 1-8 and Bugle lost a SWLC match 0-7 yet win the league so just accept what has happened and moved on..

Willow Tree - we all know the players are eligible to play, no argument there - but don't forget the old South Western league like other leagues around the country was an Independent league from which there was no promotion or relegation.

Since then football has moved on to a pyramid system, where clubs can move up, it matters not that only one has so far from our league. Why have a club in a pyramid system that legally can only move to the top of Step 6, therfore effecting other clubs within that system. Why do league officials bend over backwards for them with schedule of fixtures, restrictions on ground use, they have a ground called Home Park, tell them to use that.

As said previously Argyle have one thing in mind, certainly no commitment to the league or pyramid system or to clubs in the area who are trying to succeed in LOCAL football, just using it for them selves. As they have done over the years with the SWL, the P & D league etc.

15 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

Willow Tree - we all know the players are eligible to play, no argument there - but don't forget the old South Western league like other leagues around the country was an Independent league from which there was no promotion or relegation.

Since then football has moved on to a pyramid system, where clubs can move up, it matters not that only one has so far from our league. Why have a club in a pyramid system that legally can only move to the top of Step 6, therfore effecting other clubs within that system. Why do league officials bend over backwards for them with schedule of fixtures, restrictions on ground use, they have a ground called Home Park, tell them to use that.

As said previously Argyle have one thing in mind, certainly no commitment to the league or pyramid system or to clubs in the area who are trying to succeed in LOCAL football, just using it for them selves. As they have done over the years with the SWL, the P & D league etc.

Bodmin  St Austell and Parkway all had opportunities to take promotion in the past but chose not to,so that argument doesn't stack up.

10 hours ago, TURNIP TED said:

Would Argyle take promotion if they win the league . If not does that effect a team that want too ?

No teams ever want to take promotion.Argyle playing pros no more makes a mockery of the league than certain teams paying big bucks to stay where they are when playing in a pyramid system.. 

Had a talk with my Argyle contact tonight and he said that they only played the first team subs from Saturday last night ,no-one that started on Saturday played last night. Surely that's what a reserve team is for and he also said town played a Torquay contracted player at the end of last season?.He also said that we Cornish boys never moaned when they played reserves in the old south west league days.Which was true.

I don't get it.  What do you think a reserve team is for.  They could have played a full squad of pro's, that is their right.  I am afraid that some of the comments on here are full of sour grapes.  Just get on with the game.  If a team paying what a hundred pound a game or more cannot compete then that is their problem,.   . 

It amuses me some of the posts on this thread.

When Argyle were elected to the league (I don't think they should have been, they should have had to play their way in from their district league) they were elected as Plymouth Argyle reserves and people then posted that I bet they won't be a proper reserve side and it will be all the kids that can't get in to their U19 Development side and it would be a waste of time having them in. Now it's the other way around and it's not kids this time around it's seasoned pros like a proper league team reserve side should be, and people are now moaning about that.

I do agree however that they have been given too much leeway over the ground issue. A ground at this level should be available for the whole of the season, not two-thirds of it.

I don't see it as any different to Bodmin, St Austell, Falmouth in their day shelling out mega bucks to continually win a league they should not even be in.

Although - at least Falmouth did take promotion when the chance came.

Shipping in ex-pro's, and players of a higher standard league, just to keep winning the same old league.....is it any different really (?)

How many times have these teams shipped bucket loads of goals against "lower" standard teams.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Spot on Home Waters. I think that if Argyle win the SWPL this season, they should be forced to take promotion or, be taken out of this league anyway. Especially so  if, by winning it and not taking promotion, they stop others from the chance of promotion.

Phil Hiscox posted on this the other day and Step Six is as far as they can go so promotion is not an option