Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Midweek matches - 15 to 19 August 2016

Here's the games for the week, this is the thread to leave your thoughts, post-match comments and reaction

Monday August 15

DIVISION ONE EAST

Exwick Villa 1-2 Sidmouth Town

Tuesday August 16

PREMIER DIVISION

Camelford 1-9 St Austell

Launceston 1-1 Newquay

Tavistock 0-0 Plymouth Parkway

Torpoint Athletic 0-4 Plymouth Argyle Reserves

DIVISION ONE EAST

St Martins 3-1 University of Exeter

Totnes & Dartington 2-1 Galmpton United

DIVISION ONE WEST

Penzance 6-4 Illogan RBL

Plymouth Marjon 0-2 Holsworthy

Sticker 7-3 Wadebridge Town

Vospers Oak Villa 2-4 Liskeard Athletic

Wednesday August 17

PREMIER DIVISION

Bodmin Town 4-0 Callington Town

Falmouth Town 0-6 Saltash United

Ivybridge Town 2-3 Godolphin Atlantic

DIVISION ONE EAST

Brixham 3-3 Teignmouth

Liverton United 1-1 Alphington

Stoke Gabriel 2-2 Newton Abbot Spurs

DIVISION ONE WEST

Millbrook 1-1 Elburton Villa

Mousehole 3-0 Wendron United

Penryn Athletic 1-1 Porthleven

Friday August 19 (7.30pm)

PREMIER DIVISION

Plymouth Argyle Reserves 0-0 Exmouth Town

DIVISION ONE EAST

Axminster Town 2-0 St Martins

Crediton United 4-1 Bovey Tracey

Sticker smashed wadebridge by all accounts,talking of accounts some one told me they r cuffing out £600 a game on players!!!! £600 !!!!!! Who throws money like this away?wish I cud afford to!!hopefully some one from the club can quash this silly figure n say it's £100 a game or summin round a bouts???

Camelford 1 - St Austell 9

Anyone looking at the score line will see an overwhelming victory by St Austell, which it was. However it was not a true reflection of the football on show. 

St Austell front two of Eddy and Goldsworthy completely ripped the Camelford defence apart and looked capable of scoring nearly at will. (Why Eddy is not subject of a 3 match ban from the SWPL opener v Bodmin is a complete joke but does not take away from his performance tonight - I know people will say that this happened before - but 3 FA officials saw him commit a terrible assault in an official game - if the season opener is a 'friendly' - what's the point? He also committed several dodgy tackle and continual abuse of the ref tonight but only one yellow)

St Austells defence were very solid and organised, but slow. Top teams will punish them. 

Would normally say - 'control the midfield and win the game', but tonight Camelfords midfield completely dominated the midfield and they lost (heavily). Football skill wise the young Camelford midfield made the St Austell midfield look poor  - all bar one of the St Austell goals were "long balls" and the lad Clark showed lots of speed but little else.

Camelford fielded 6-8 under 18 year olds and played 'better football' than St Austell, however St Austell were clinical and deserved winners. 

Think St Austell will be top 3 this season, however they need to add pace to their defence and have a stern look at their midfield. 

14 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Anyone looking at the score line will see an overwhelming victory by St Austell, which it was. However it was not a true reflection of the football on show. 

St Austell front two of Eddy and Goldsworthy completely ripped the Camelford defence apart and looked capable of scoring nearly at will. (Why Eddy is not subject of a 3 match ban from the SWPL opener v Bodmin is a complete joke but does not take away from his performance tonight - I know people will say that this happened before - but 3 FA officials saw him commit a terrible assault in an official game - if the season opener is a 'friendly' - what's the point? He also committed several dodgy tackle and continual abuse of the ref tonight but only one yellow)

St Austells defence were very solid and organised, but slow. Top teams will punish them. 

Would normally say - 'control the midfield and win the game', but tonight Camelfords midfield completely dominated the midfield and they lost (heavily). Football skill wise the young Camelford midfield made the St Austell midfield look poor  - all bar one of the St Austell goals were "long balls" and the lad Clark showed lots of speed but little else.

Camelford fielded 6-8 under 18 year olds and played 'better football' than St Austell, however St Austell were clinical and deserved winners. 

Think St Austell will be top 3 this season, however they need to add pace to their defence and have a stern look at their midfield. 

Reading these comments of a 9-1 defeat reminds me of the famous Victor Meldrew catchphrase "I DON'T BELIEVE IT" n

LAUNCESTON   (0)   1     Blatchford 76'

NEWQUAY   (1)   1     Jones 8'

A decent end to end game at Pennygillam in which the young Newquay team could well have been 3-0 or 4-0 up before almost losing the game and had to thank 19 year old keeper Dan Peters for a superb 86th minute penalty save from former Argyle player Bobby Hopkinson. 17 year old centre back Ryan Jones drove home from the edge of the area to give the Peppermints the lead although former Argyle keeper Ollie Chenoweth got a strong hand on it but pushed it into the bottom corner. Thought Newquay were good for their interval lead but the Clarets came flying out the blocks after the break and only some wayward finishing and good goalkeeping from Peters kept the visitors in front before they had a good spell and a couple of golden opportunities to kill the game off but the final pass to players in better positions never came. Man of the match Scott Blatchford blasted home from close range to level and it looked like the hosts might be the team to go on to nick it before Peters great pen save and he also tipped the follow up shot over the bar. Plenty of positives for both managers, thought both teams zipped the ball around nicely at times.

Midlands - didn't say they were not outplayed, by two strikers who on the day were outstanding. Camelford went in to the game knowing it was a question of 'how many'.  The comments made, I believe were fair - St Austell were stronger in goal, central defence and up front - Camelford were stronger in Midfield and wide defence  The up front made the difference and if Eddy and Goldsworthy had been playing for Camelford - it would have been very different score  

However, St Austell are not the complete package, by a fair bit. Too much for Camelford but Parkway, Tavvy, Saltash and Bodmin will create bigger problems

Nanks - I assume you are being sarcastic with the ? ( smileys faces), but a bit wasted as I'm too old to understand them. 

7 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Midlands - didn't say they were not outplayed, by two strikers who on the day were outstanding. Camelford went in to the game knowing it was a question of 'how many'.  The comments made, I believe were fair - St Austell were stronger in goal, central defence and up front - Camelford were stronger in Midfield and wide defence  The up front made the difference and if Eddy and Goldsworthy had been playing for Camelford - it would have been very different score  

However, St Austell are not the complete package, by a fair bit. Too much for Camelford but Parkway, Tavvy, Saltash and Bodmin will create bigger problems

Nanks - I assume you are being sarcastic with the ? ( smileys faces), but a bit wasted as I'm too old to understand them. 

Not too old though to come on here trying to stir the shit! Your team got battered by a great team! Accept it and move on! Have you ever thought that maybe this league is all about scoring goals! I love the fact Camelford are giving youngsters a chance but let's be honest they are only ever going to be Peninsula players, so maybe they need to learn how to win!

A Fan - sorry mate, I am obviously not making it clear.

St Austell deserved to win, no doubt, no question and they are a good team - read my previous posts I am 'a fan' of theirs. Never said I was a Camelford supporter.

Just giving a view of tonights game - if you were there and saw the game, then disagree with any point I have made - I do think I gave St Austell a lot of positives.

If you think their midfield were strong - fine; if you think they had pace in defence - fine; if you think their attack was poor - fine, you get the point  

If you weren't and just 'a blind fan' that's fair enough as well - it's only personal views so if you don't agree that's fine by me - but no need to have a pop at the Camelford players 'only being Peninsular and need to learn to win' - everyone on the pitch did their best and young players need encouragement not slights. 

13 minutes ago, Keith B said:

All these reports and nothing about the Tavistock v Parkway game. Destined to be the game of the night and no report - come on gents, did they cancel each other out, what happened ?

Dare I say, that I watched the Tavy v Parkway match and saw nothing that would worry a Cornish based club! Or am I bias? :c:

Both sides fairly even on the evening though could well have been say 3-3 rather than 0-0! But can someone tell me in the know, whey didn't Glynn Hobbs take those free-kicks in the first half that were surely within shooting distance for him?

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

Dare I say, that I watched the Tavy v Parkway match and saw nothing that would worry a Cornish based club! Or am I bias? :c:

Both sides fairly even on the evening though could well have been say 3-3 rather than 0-0! But can someone tell me in the know, whey didn't Glynn Hobbs take those free-kicks in the first half that were surely within shooting distance for him?

FT: Tavistock 0 Plymouth Parkway 0

Both sides went into the game with 100% records and despite the score line, proceeded to produce a thoroughly entertaining and absorbing game from start to finish with no quarter asked or given. Parkway with a couple of early season injuries, saw Danny Lewis playing his first competitive match of the season as a make shift centre half. Parkway started the brighter and a couple of early breaks down the left saw Callum Thompson twice thwarted by the impressive Tavistock keeper. Both sides showing commitment and enterprise, moved the ball around well with play going from end to end with both defences remaining strong.

Parkway marginally dominated possession in midfield and used both flanks to good effect but were occasionally let down by their final ball. Tavistock competed well in midfield and looked dangerous down their left and on the break when Glyn Hobbs was in possession. Both sides played some neat football in midfield with Parkway continuing to cause problems down both flanks and created numerous chances as play continued to fluctuate. Defences stayed firm with both keepers frequently being called into action, generally for routine saves.

On 30 mins, Tavistock had a goal disallowed after a mishit shot found it's way to a player in an offside position. The half continued to be fairly even and quite how the score remained 0-0 I'm not sure. The 2nd half started with a gilt edged chance for Parkway which saw Josh Grant pull the ball narrowly wide after excellent, slick, build up play. Tavistock introduced a couple of subs early in the half, one in midfield and an additional striker. This saw them gradually begin to dominate the midfield with Parkway being forced back. However tigerish resistance in midfield and solid defending kept the scoreline at 0-0.

Just after the hour, Dean Smith in the Parkway goal kept his side in the game with 2 superb saves, the 1st a one on one with Hobbs, the 2nd a full length dive to his right from a fiercely hit shot. Tavistock continued to create the better chances and the sub striker should have done better with a couple of efforts off target. Parkway were now playing more on the break and from one on 73 mins, Josh Grant shot narrowly over. A series of free kicks, some unnecessary, put Parkway under pressure but yet again they defended resolutely. On 80 mins, with the Tavistock keeper way out of position, the ball broke to Tyler Elliot who, showing excellent vision, lobbed the ball from distance towards an empty net but somehow the keeper managed to cover some distance and claw the ball to safety from under his cross bar. Undoubtedly the save of the match. Both sides continued to press with energy until the final whistle but neither were able to break the deadlock.

An excellent game from 2 committed teams who on reflection will probably take the draw. Parkway edged the 1st half with Tavistock taking the 2nd with the draw being a fair result in a game which was a credit to both sides who, should they continue to play like tonight, could well be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Despite the importance of the game at this early stage of the season, it rarely threatened to boil over and was generally well refereed with only a smattering of yellow cards for both sides.

Parkway's attention now turns to the FA Cup with a visit to higher league Bridgwater Town this Saturday. Should they be successful, a visit to either Cadbury Heath or Team Solent awaits.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Well Dave , I would say definitely biased ? What Cornish based team are as good as those 2 teams in your opinion ? Probably the best nil - nil I have seen. Tavistock for the league title me thinks.

12 hours ago, pastyman said:

Saltash winning 3-0 against a Falmouth side who lack discipline.  Respect has not arrived in Falmouth. 

Now 5-0

0-6 The biggest ever Saltash win at Falmouth (1951-16)

But Not Falmouth's heaviest SWPL defeat at Bickland.

'Lack of discipline' Pastyman? I have been told only one Yellow card-perhaps he meant conceding two penalties.

Heaviest SWPL (Prem) defeats for Falmouth

2012-13 Home v St.Blazey Lost 1-7.....2012-13 .Away 0-6 at Bodmin

2 hours ago, pastyman said:

Saltash winning 3-0 against a Falmouth side who lack discipline.  Respect has not arrived in Falmouth. 

Now 5-0

Not sure it's completely arrived in Saltash either from one comment to the referee in the first half, but the talking point in this game should really be the five goals from Ryan Richards.

He wasn't entirely enamoured with the way the team was playing towards the front line in the opening 30 minutes or so, but his penalty that made it 2-0 ensured there was no way back for a home side that lost their way from then on. A reckless challenge in the box from Ben Williams soon after gave Richards another chance to further increase the Ashes lead and he did so by putting the ball in the opposite corner of the net this time.

He then went on to delight the neutrals and the Saltash supporters who had made the midweek trip on a miserable weather wise evening with a left footer in to the roof of the Falmouth net; followed up by another two when seizing on anything loose in and around the penalty area. Two more shots that had the Town keeper stranded.

A great second half goal feast for us all.

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with long serving Saltash official Colin Phillips, who informs me at the moment he is holding the fort as acting Chairman while the club attempts to find a replacement. 

On 8/17/2016 at 00:08, Bobjfh said:

There is a gulf of about two leagues between these teams and it's all down to money and teams not taking promotion when in a position to do so.If I gave Camelford a few grand to pay their players and St Austell lost their money input the result would probably be reversed. It's no great mystery, and it won't alter anytime  soon.

8 hours ago, panda said:

Hoppit's pet subject rears it's ugly head yet again. PROMOTION !!!!!!8

I thought that was the aim of the so called pyramid system ?  So the best teams got promoted and moved up the leagues  , or do they want to be big fish in small ponds ? This is not aimed at any team as I don't follow any at this level .

Another Interesting week. I had the pleasure of watching a very entertaining 0-0 draw on Tuesday night down at Tavistock. In my opinion I felt parkway looked the most likely to take the points. Sam Davey looked sharp up front and the lad Popple in midfield was very useful. Was I watching the new league champions? Who knows, but parkway looked the better side on the night. 

On 17/08/2016 at 23:01, Dave Deacon said:

Not sure it's completely arrived in Saltash either from one comment to the referee in the first half, but the talking point in this game should really be the five goals from Ryan Richards.

He wasn't entirely enamoured with the way the team was playing towards the front line in the opening 30 minutes or so, but his penalty that made it 2-0 ensured there was no way back for a home side that lost their way from then on. A reckless challenge in the box from Ben Williams soon after gave Richards another chance to further increase the Ashes lead and he did so by putting the ball in the opposite corner of the net this time.

He then went on to delight the neutrals and the Saltash supporters who had made the midweek trip on a miserable weather wise evening with a left footer in to the roof of the Falmouth net; followed up by another two when seizing on anything loose in and around the penalty area. Two more shots that had the Town keeper stranded.

A great second half goal feast for us all.

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with long serving Saltash official Colin Phillips, who informs me at the moment he is holding the fort as acting Chairman while the club attempts to find a replacement. 

SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION

FALMOUTH TOWN (away) Wed 17th August 2016

Ashes Line-up: Ryan Rickard, Dave Barker, Steve Sargison, Sam Leary, Lewis russell(c), Dave Trott, Richard maddison, Sam farrant, Sam hughes (Sam Stevens 68 mins), Ryan Richards, Chris Clarke (Lewis edwards (32 mins).

Bookings: none.

Scorers: Edwards (40 mins), Richards 5 (2 pens 54 & 62) 72, 82, 89.

For the first 30 minutes Falmouth were the better side in a very scrappy contest. The host club came close to scoring on 8 minutes when a shot from the edge of the area hit the Ashes crossbar. The first goal against the run of play went to the Ashes when good work by Ryan Richards set up Lewis Edwards to score from just inside the Area.

Saltash came out for the second half all fired up and took the game to Falmouth.After 54 minutes Sam Farrant was tripped in the area and Ryan Richards scored from the penalty spot.

The Ashes were awarded a second penalty on 62 minutes when Sam Hughes was fouled in the area with the same result as the first with Richards scoring from the spot.

Ryan Richards completed his hat-trick on 72 minutes and then went on to score 2 more on 82 & 89 minutes.

Falmouth did have a chance to pull a goal back on 80 minutes but Ashes keeper Ryan Rickard made a superb save to keep a clean sheet.

From the Saltash website