Cornwall Football Forum

Sorry this is non football

Guest Chris B

Guest Helston Patriot

When i was at work yesterday, (sorry i ment visited work to check for my payslip!) A couple of guys were having an intellectual coversation about superhero's. The conversation was ;

"Is there any OTHER super hero from another planet except Superman?"

The outcome was there wasn't, however i'm not sure of this. Can any comic buff/geek/child/mensa candidates think of any??

Please help, bored matelot's need you... :drink:

METEOR MAN, SUPERGIRL :c:

Superboy was the featured series in Adventure Comics in the late 1950s. In Adventure Comics #247 (April 1958), he was met by three teenagers from the 30th century: Lightning Boy, Saturn Girl, and Cosmic Boy, who were members of a "super-hero club" called the Legion of Super-Heroes. Their club had been formed with Superboy as an inspiration, and they had time travelled to recruit Superboy as a member. After a series of tests, Superboy was awarded membership and returned to his own time.

Although intended as a one-off story focusing on Superboy, the Legion proved so popular that they returned for an encore in Adventure Comics #267 (December 1959). Lightning Boy had been renamed Lightning Lad, and their costumes were very close to those they wore throughout the Silver Age of Comic Books. In their third appearance, with Supergirl in Action Comics #276, it was claimed that the Legionnaires in that story were children of the ones Superboy had previously met, and that the Legion existed in the 21st century rather than the 30th. These details were ignored in future stories.

The Legion's popularity grew, and they appeared in further adventures in Adventure Comics and Action Comics over the next few years. The ranks of the Legion, only hinted at in those first two stories, were fleshed out with new heroes such as Chameleon Boy, Invisible Kid, Colossal Boy, Star Boy, Brainiac 5, Triplicate Girl, Shrinking Violet, Sun Boy, Bouncing Boy, and Phantom Girl. They even recruited Supergirl as a member (Action Comics #276).

Despite appearing in about a dozen stories during this period, the story of the Legion's founding was not revealed until a decade had passed. In Superboy #147 (June 1968), for the first time readers learned that the first three members to appear, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy, had founded the Legion when they used their powers to save billionaire R. J. Brande from an assassination attempt. Impressed with their skills and courage, Brande would bankroll the Legion for years to come.

The creators of the early Legion stories included Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel, Otto Binder, Al Plastino, George Papp, Curt Swan, Jim Mooney, and George Klein.

[edit] Starring in Adventure Comics

In Adventure Comics #300 (September 1962), the Legion finally received their own regular feature, cover-billed "Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes". While they would share space with Superboy solo stories for a couple of years, they eventually displaced Superboy entirely as their popularity grew. Superboy, however, continued to appear on every cover, even if only briefly (or barely) mentioned in the story.

It was this run which established the Legion's general workings and environment. A club of teenagers, they operated out of a clubhouse in the shape of a yellow rocket ship inverted as if it had been driven into the ground. The position of Legion leader rotated among the membership, sometimes through election and sometimes by more arcane methods. From time to time the editors of the Legion stories would allow readers to vote on the leader.

Each Legionnaire had to possess at least one natural super-power (i.e., powers from devices were disallowed), in particular one power which no other member possessed. Despite this, several members had overlapping powers, particularly Superboy, Supergirl, Mon-El, and Ultra Boy. Some issues included comical moments where candidates with bizarre, useless or dangerous abilities would try out for membership and be rejected. Five of these flawed candidates went on to form the Legion of Substitute Heroes.

The Legion was based on Earth and protected an organization of humans and aliens called the United Planets. The regular police force in the UP was the Science Police.

There's loads of comic book superheros that come from a different planet. Depends if you want the well knowen ones or start to go to the less knowen ones (that haven't had 500 films made about them) :D

Some more names from pre-zero hour of legion of super-heros,

Atmos, Blok, Bloodclaw, Lightning Lass / Light Lass, Lightning Lad, Magnetic Kid, Matter-Eater Lad, Mon-El, Nightwind, Phantom Girl, Storm Boy, Sun Boy, Superboy I, Supergirl II, Veilmist, White Witch :D

Oh no ! Helston Patriot youve spoiled the ending for me, just rented it out ;0) :thumbsup:

How about my missus,she`s a Superhero around the house and with the kids,but when she is on the Wine with her mates she is from another planet ;0) :drink::drink::drink: :drink:

Sorry ronin never watched dr who..... and proud!

What a sheltered childhood you must have had HP. You were probably too busy playing footie :D I still shudder at the sight of a cyberman now :o

What you talking about HP, Biker mice from mars continually save planets.(I can't believe we're arguing about kids TV :D ).

HE-MAN is a possibility BUT I can't remember if he's from another planet?. I remember him being called prince Adam BUT, Can you remember his Cats name??. :unsure:

Mum-ra was a bad guy (i think) Lion-O was the leader , Panthro, Jaga (or something like that), there was a cheeter and a tiger and WilyKit and WilyKat, the annoying twins :) think that was all of the origanl ones but i think (god my brains hurting) they brought in some new heros to help out, :D

You're joking Anita!!!!! He had a cool sidekick, a supersonic sonar radar and everything!! :P The only one who comes close to Batfink is Hong Kong Phooey but only cos he had a wicked secret identity :ninja:

Sorry guys, but im only a young whippersnapper! Sadly i cant remermber the heroics of Batink or Hong Kong Fooey! :(

All i no is if i could kick criminal ass, drive a rocket propelled Batmobile and absail and climb up and down skyscrapers like Batman for a while id end my days a happy man! :D

I dont think theres that many skyscrapers to climb in the local area though! Id have to make do with the Cornwall College art building and Carn Brea monument!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: