Cornwall Football Forum

falling out of love with football part 2

I know most people , particularly young people will not agree with this but !!!!!!

I've been a Wolves fan since the 1950's ( I can't say a supporter because I rarely watch them play live ) I've followed them through the good days through to the dark dismal days .Recently they've been relegated from the Premier league down to division 1 in successive seasons .Then they appointed Kenny Jackett as manager . He cleared out much of the deadwood and built a young team with a large proportion of academy players . The team won division 1 with a record points total and the following season failed to make the play offs on goal difference ( minus 2 goals from memory ) Last season they suffered massive injury problems , losing important players for long spells also they lost their top goalscorer after his head was turned by transfer interest and he lost his way and was transferred to Bournemouth . As a result of all this their season was a bit up and down .This season I had hopes of a good season with all of the players being fit and the young players being more experienced and there was a good chance that Jackett's policy of youth players would pay off with promotion .

Then a Chinese consortium took over a fortnight ago .We had the usual PR rubbish about how they had always admired Wolves as a big club etc. etc. etc. . Nothing would change except that they would fund the purchase of a few new players with a bottomless pit of money . They were looking forward to working with the manager whose future was safe . On Friday the manager was sacked and an Italian was signed to replace him and several foreign players have been signed .

My point is , where will all this end ? what is the point of being a club supporter when the only interest the owners show is money ? How will the home nations ever have a good national team when British managers and young British talent is pushed aside in the quest for more money ? Prior to Sky taking over , football was all about entertainment and glory  and fans watched their club idols and related to them as they were in the main working class lad's who earned a bit more than a bricklayer  and often drank in the local café  and were human .  Now they have no relationship with the fan's who they seem to ignore except for PR purposes  and with the rate of transfers most will never be remembered by the fans in years to come ..How long before fans tire of of all this and stop supporting clubs

I use the example of recent events at Wolves as I am a fan but this is happening right through the world of football and it disgusts me to see the game I once loved brought down to being all about money . Furthermore I think that the future of  European football could be destroyed in years to come ( probably not in my lifetime ) by Chinese and Indian billionares forming their own superleagues and the mercenary players all being enticed over there leaving our leagues in tatters .   

Takes the really. Those who have the money feel as though they can do what they want regardless of what anyone else may think. They don't consult supporters or take in to account the tradition of the club. Like you said fenman, your club Wolves is a prime example of that. The most recent one I can think of as well where this has happened.

The biggest culprit in all this is Sky/formation of the Premier League.

Sky brought the Premier League to a bigger, wider audience throughout the world which at first was great but then steadily the influx of foreign players, and then owners. Roman Abramovich bought Chelski a championship or two and Manchester City won the league the same way. It's a depressing state of affairs and the money that is on the table in China is outrageous. I agree with Older, when the big bang happens everyone who isn't prepared will suffer. As long as the fat cats are stuffing their pockets with extortionate TV rights, I fear that won't happen any time soon.

Big Al would freak out at the array of kick off times those clubs have to deal with!!

Get rid of Sky live football. At least then people will have to support their teams. Being out on a limb in Cornwall, we all know too many people who 'support' a team but have never been to a game nor will they ever.  They then come into work bragging on a Monday morning how 'their team' won again. It's killing football as a game. Crowds at the top level have become commercial clients rather than fans.

I don't football will ever die, I think the top level will become so far ahead of the rest that it'll become a closed shop of franchises like the MLS.

I'll never fall out of love with football. It's just a shame the way the game is going, that's all.

Jasa also has a point. I feel as though too many people across the world are supporting club's because they've seen them on TV. I feel as though it would be different if there was little football live on TV. However I'm not complaining with the fact Sky show live football and the fact I get to see a fair bit of my favourite team. 

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Blimey - can you imagine if there were no Sky football !  The Premier league would fall apart - all those over paid 'super stars' would be back to a living wage, appearance money and win bonuses. AND - probably have to find a second job during the summer, or play cricket. Current players have never experienced that.

It's become ridiculous. When did West Brom have to ability to reject a £40m bid? When was Romelu Lukaku valued at £75m? 

Sky have ruined football in my opinion. 

Agree with all of the above comments,.  My advice get out and watch your local team, have some banter, grab a pint and a pasty and enjoy the game.  Mind you it is no surprise to see the same teams dominating the SWPL.  All about money.

9 hours ago, JENGLE said:

I'll never fall out of love with football. It's just a shame the way the game is going, that's all.

Jasa also has a point. I feel as though too many people across the world are supporting club's because they've seen them on TV. I feel as though it would be different if there was little football live on TV. However I'm not complaining with the fact Sky show live football and the fact I get to see a fair bit of my favourite team. 

The latest generation of football supporters have been brought up on televised football, that's all they know.

We played football and watched match of the day - it was a religion....no - we couldn't record it either.kicked

You had to be home to watch it (!)

Today you watch every ball, in every game being kicked - mystery's gone.

And they do actually believe they are "supporters"

-

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again the new season is nearly here , same problem at the top  money , which surprise doesn't seem to filter down to our local leagues ,  when some local only need a few quid to update / improve  changing rooms or pitches ,  as been mentioned Sky has hijacked our national game  and they call the tune ,  will the bubble burst ? Can't see it at present but when utd spend a new world record transfer fee on a midfielder  , and Maureen gloats that only they could do it ,  the game that we all love starts to lose its luster .