Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Accounts

These are now available to download for free.  My interpretation which could be wrong as I'm no accountant, shows the club burdened by a near 3 quarters of a million pound debt.  And yet we are told the owners are financing the club with "their own" money.  It's not their own money if every pound they spend creates a bigger debt within the club. 

4 hours ago, Never-Pay-Never said:

These are now available to download for free.  My interpretation which could be wrong as I'm no accountant, shows the club burdened by a near 3 quarters of a million pound debt.  And yet we are told the owners are financing the club with "their own" money.  It's not their own money if every pound they spend creates a bigger debt within the club. 

I suspect there's more than that owing - just not being shown.

Football at this level is unsustainable in Cornwall without a sugar daddy (s) and Truro don't have one/two.

A nightclub owner (ex) and a taxi company in Cornwall hardly fit the bill when big bucks are required.

Only puppets anyway, appeared from nowhere, and will go back there when it's all divvied up.

Silverbow - yeah (!) will there still be a TCFC (?) or Malpas marauders (?)

You are a cynical lot of. If you look at the accounts and records ther are no debts other than the directors funds introduced. There are no CCJ's recorded against the club. They don't owe anything to HMRC. All in all the club is in a better position than a lot of other clubs and certainly better run than under Heaney.

The way to make the club better would if you doubting Thomas' got of your asses and coame to home games and improved thet gate at the club. You are just happy to sit back and complain about everything.

And by the way I am an accountant and know what I am talking about.

You are an accountant so you must recognise that it is a debt placed on the club by the owners who expect it to be repaid to them.  What does that leave their net financial contribution as? Not "cynical" just not the blind faith of a puppet enthused by recent appointment to the office of the Truro Chairmans Supporters Club.

The accounts show a pattern which appear to be in line with the cost of running a football club, it should be borne in mind that there have been many legal visits employing expensive legal representation so a certain amount of borrowing would be necessary, just normal business practice.

If those showing concern for Truro City only knew the possible vulnerability of the companies they work for they may lose a lot of  sleep come bed time, the accounts look healthier than I would realistically expect after 3 and a half years of financial and business turmoil.

Torquay United are happy to take financial advice from Mr Masters, as the following item indicates, unlike me they can communicate with the Truro City hierarchy.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/torquay-united-gulls-go-to-truro-city-against-background-of-behind-the-scenes-uncertainty/story-29547779-detail/story.html

I'm not going to comment much on the accounts side of things as I've never understood that sort of stuff. However the club's PR needs to be handled slightly better to get higher gates at the club. I feel not enough initiatives are being explored, then again that's just a personal opinion. It's not as simple as people getting off their backsides and turning up to watch. I just hope we can have a good season this year and the financial side of things is in a good place. If that is the case then I'll be happy.

5 hours ago, russellkeeble said:

You are a cynical lot of bastards. If you look at the accounts and records ther are no debts other than the directors funds introduced. There are no CCJ's recorded against the club. They don't owe anything to HMRC. All in all the club is in a better position than a lot of other clubs and certainly better run than under Heaney.

The way to make the club better would if you doubting Thomas' got of your asses and coame to home games and improved thet gate at the club. You are just happy to sit back and complain about everything.

I don't get the so call Truro City Supporters wanting the club to have a negative bank balance, totally agree with you Russell, it would be good if the stay away came to home games.  It is like they want the club to fail,  you would never think that next year we Could /will have a new ground,  other fans would bite your hand off to be in the same situation as Truro City  Also the team is looking good and I also think Playoffs are big possibility.

9 hours ago, russellkeeble said:

You are a cynical lot of. If you look at the accounts and records ther are no debts other than the directors funds introduced. There are no CCJ's recorded against the club. They don't owe anything to HMRC. All in all the club is in a better position than a lot of other clubs and certainly better run than under Heaney.

Probably done the books.

No surprise at your reply.

Everything at TCFC is so positive,and everything that is wrong,is the blame of the missing supporters.

16 hours ago, russellkeeble said:

You are a cynical lot of (xxxxxxxx). If you look at the accounts and records ther are no debts other than the directors funds introduced. There are no CCJ's recorded against the club. They don't owe anything to HMRC. All in all the club is in a better position than a lot of other clubs and certainly better run than under Heaney.

I think it disgusting that the NEWLY ELECTED Supporters Club Treasurer referred to contributors to this forum as - several hours later the word was deleted I have put (xxxxxxxx) where it originally appeared

It must be obvious to all that despite our efforts harmony within Truro City  Football Club  is nigh impossible.

Mikey - I assume the offending word had been deleted before you read the posting if it hadn't 

I don't think you would have approved with a like thumbs up. Are you back volunteering or are you still being ignored?

16 hours ago, russellkeeble said:

If you are a bean counter, you and I know that accounts can be made to look any way you want.

As for getting peoples asses up to come to TCFC to boost your gate and finances....it's about time you, and all the other muppets over there realised - TCFC is NOT the only football club in the county.

Just the one with the biggest debt, and one that may lose its ground from under its feet.

I'll boost the gate on the team I support thanks.

2 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

I think it disgusting that the NEWLY ELECTED Supporters Club Treasurer referred to contributors to this forum as - several hours later the word was deleted I have put (xxxxxxxx) where it originally appeared

It must be obvious to all that despite our efforts harmony within Truro City  Football Club  is nigh impossible.

Mikey - I assume the offending word had been deleted before you read the posting if it hadn't 

I don't think you would have approved with a like thumbs up. Are you back volunteering or are you still being ignored?

I'm the one deleting it Ivor! One's vocabulary should be good enough not to have to use such! 

Can't understand why Somersetspur and Mountaineer are not involved in running a football club at the highest level. It's not too late though, they could take over a non league club and because they never make mistakes or get anything wrong they would soon be knocking on the door of the premier league!! 

22 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

Can't understand why Somersetspur and Mountaineer are not involved in running a football club at the highest level. It's not too late though, they could take over a non league club and because they never make mistakes or get anything wrong they would soon be knocking on the door of the premier league!! 

Could'nt do any worse.

First thing would be to get behind the Community involved,then get all supporters behind the Club.SIMPLE.

Create a Social side to the Club,get that Clubhouse open more than just match days.

I could go on.

Reckon with Ivor 's help you may well have a point.

Dont know about the Premier League,thats taking the mick.

I'm sure Somersetspur has had his successes and both of us may have done well when competing at a level matching our individual skills. I have worked at many Premiership clubs(Div1 back then). even at 80 I am not finished the weekend before last I was at the AGM for the "Supporters Summit 2016" held at Wembley where the FA, Premier League, English Football League, non-league and others were represented, two days putting in place club/supporter discussion that could improve football supporting for years to come for those prepared to listen.

A limited amount of safe standing should soon return to the terraces in the Premier league, the "Twenty's Plenty" campaign met some success with many clubs settling for £30 things that are on going resulting from cooperation between groups sharing similar interests, another item from this seasons annual conference is the call for clubs to meet all supporter groups irrespective of individual prejudices including lone supporters twice a year setting out the years strategy with the clubs being represented by the owners, Chairman and fellow directors, the CEO (all to attend) if adopted those meetings would most likely occur in September and April - Club / Supporter cooperation is better for the efforts of SD / FSF / the FA / the EFL and individual like minded supporters of football.

Goldeneye there are some of us who work to improve things for future generations.

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I'm the one deleting it Ivor! One's vocabulary should be good enough not to have to use such! 

Dave - I apologise perhaps it would have been better for me not to have posted the word that had been used but to suggest contributors didn't know their birth parents was wrong.

Goldeneye:-

This thread was about the accounts, perhaps you can point out what I may have wrongly posted because if you read my postings I HAVE NOT CRITICISED the accounts, quite the opposite, I have considered the investment required to ensure the club keeps it's head above water and responded accordingly.

Dave can remember the days when the clubhouse was buzzing!!! On a Saturday teatime after a game you would get 300 plus players and family etc in there having a few drinks and food from the thriving kitchen! All the local junior teams used it as their clubhouse along with both the clubs first and reserve sides as well as local Truro players who played for other clubs would pop in after they had spent an hour or two at their respective club to nip in before home for a bit of banter. Spent many a time getting grief for being a Truro lad playing for Falmouth Town but loved it!!! Even the early evenings it would be the starting point for a couple of cheap drinks before you went out on the town. It was always packed from 5pm to 11pm. I agree with Dave and find it a bit of a shame and sad when I see the club these days, like a ghost town half the time! When the new place opens why not get the dart teams, pool teams, euchre teams, old grannies bingo once a week, if it's a 3G pitch get the youth teams from u9 to u18 playing on it etc etc, these are the supporters of the future (well not maybe the old grannies!!) Do parties and weddings perhaps? Seen many a non league club ran better than some pro teams, get a reserve team back at some level that could supplement the first team with promising young Cornish players in years to come maybe? If Truro did this properly I reckon they could get 1000+ gates in the new stadium and with a thriving clubhouse become a bit more self sustainable? I know the old days will never probably come back with so much more for the kids of today to do etc but think the club got a real opportunity to get things right moving into their new home, it'll be next season before you know it!?! Build from the bottom up and we can carry on seeing a great standard of football being played in the county. Or am I talking a load of crap, I'm not sure after reading this back to be honest!!??? Good old days though Dave!!!  #MalabarFC?

Also City are red and black!!!!!!! If you want a nice all white change strip that does look smart especially under the lights then have it with some red and black trim, you don't see AC Milan change their kit colour do you! Hundred plus years of history in red and black!!  ?⚽️?

10 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Dave can remember the days when the clubhouse was buzzing!!! On a Saturday teatime after a game you would get 300 plus players and family etc in there having a few drinks and food from the thriving kitchen! All the local junior teams used it as their clubhouse along with both the clubs first and reserve sides as well as local Truro players who played for other clubs would pop in after they had spent an hour or two at their respective club to nip in before home for a bit of banter. Spent many a time getting grief for being a Truro lad playing for Falmouth Town but loved it!!! Even the early evenings it would be the starting point for a couple of cheap drinks before you went out on the town. It was always packed from 5pm to 11pm. I agree with Dave and find it a bit of a shame and sad when I see the club these days, like a ghost town half the time! When the new place opens why not get the dart teams, pool teams, euchre teams, old grannies bingo once a week, if it's a 3G pitch get the youth teams from u9 to u18 playing on it etc etc, these are the supporters of the future (well not maybe the old grannies!!) Do parties and weddings perhaps? Seen many a non league club ran better than some pro teams, get a reserve team back at some level that could supplement the first team with promising young Cornish players in years to come maybe? If Truro did this properly I reckon they could get 1000+ gates in the new stadium and with a thriving clubhouse become a bit more self sustainable? I know the old days will never probably come back with so much more for the kids of today to do etc but think the club got a real opportunity to get things right moving into their new home, it'll be next season before you know it!?! Build from the bottom up and we can carry on seeing a great standard of football being played in the county. Or am I talking a load of crap, I'm not sure after reading this back to be honest!!??? Good old days though Dave!!!  #MalabarFC?

Also City are red and black!!!!!!! If you want a nice all white change strip that does look smart especially under the lights then have it with some red and black trim, you don't see AC Milan change their kit colour do you! Hundred plus years of history in red and black!!  ?⚽️?

You asked the question Rappo "or am I talking crap"  well....how can I say this - yes (!)

All of those things you suggest are old hat, and will never come back, the pub/club world has completely changed from what it used to be.

The need today is to utilise what you have by investigating different income streams to the days of old.

Anyway - hope you are well. :thumbsup:

I imagine the decision to go back to white from the 125 year old trad of red and black was a unilateral decision by the Club Chairman. My perception is, listening in to conversations as I wander round the ground on a match day, that he doesn't "do" consensus or committees, nor does he listen to advice. Where are all the Supporter's Club old programmes and football magazines? They were always worth a browse. I overheard that they had just been told they had to be moved and aren't to be allowed to put up a shed to call home! Very strange way to encourage a Supporter's Club! And why did I have to go all the way over to the club shop to buy a programme? I was told there were people out selling them. They didn't exactly stand out and will be very miserable on a rainy day!

Rappo many thanks for a very interesting and informative post. When we move to Silver Bow there will be more happening and there will be an academy set up in due time. The plans for the new ground are on display and under discussion now. We are planning to start a regular quiz night and maybe a poker night in September and we are discussing having an uner 16's footbal competition and BBQ. We are also looking to have a regular Car Boot sale in the carpark.

Tater in regard to the Supporters Club shop we are in negotiation to site a new hut which we hope will be loaned to us by a local comapny in exchange for advertising. This should be up and running in the next couple of weeks. The programme sellers are near the turnstiles and wandering round the ground, they are also selling the 50/50. They will have tabards to go with their bags in due course. As to being outside this is no worse thatn they have put up with selling from the table by the entrances (Mind you I would not want to do it!!) Many thanks to them.

5 hours ago, russellkeeble said:

Rappo many thanks for a very interesting and informative post. When we move to Silver Bow there will be more happening and there will be an academy set up in due time. The plans for the new ground are on display and under discussion now. We are planning to start a regular quiz night and maybe a poker night in September and we are discussing having an uner 16's footbal competition and BBQ. We are also looking to have a regular Car Boot sale in the carpark.

Tater in regard to the Supporters Club shop we are in negotiation to site a new hut which we hope will be loaned to us by a local comapny in exchange for advertising. This should be up and running in the next couple of weeks. The programme sellers are near the turnstiles and wandering round the ground, they are also selling the 50/50. They will have tabards to go with their bags in due course. As to being outside this is no worse thatn they have put up with selling from the table by the entrances (Mind you I would not want to do it!!) Many thanks to them.

Best of luck with all of that.

Yeah I guess times have changed Older! Never going to get the "crack" back that you had in your playing days and I got brought up on! I still think it's a great opportunity for City though and I'm glad ideas are being put into place Russell. ? I've enjoyed watching a really high standard of football on the occasions I've been over Treyew Road the last decade. Would still love to see Cornwall have a football league club one day even though I'll probably be dead and buried by then!?! The reserve side could be made up of the best young local players like Bob's son Ed who is a class act under the Truro City umbrella. Hopefully a few would break into the first team and follow in the footsteps of Jake Ash and Cody Cooke. Locals would come to support the local boys as well boosting the gate!? I for one hope it's a massive success for the club and prove a few doubters wrong!!? I've spent quite a lot of time over the last 10 years visiting Scottish league 1 and 2 clubs talking to chairman and secretaries etc who are on a similar budget to Truro City and some of these grounds and facilities are really impressive and an asset to their local communities, I'm sure City has got great potential and could follow suit. Good luck I say ?

On 27 July 2016 at 18:22, russellkeeble said:

I love the fact that currently all this is pie in the sky. Barring the ground all of what you've said should have been put in place by the first game of when the owners took charge not some 3 years down the line. 

Youre reliant on silverbow being built to have an academy. Why??? What's the plans if this doesn't happen? It's been put back a few times all ready. What's the contingency plan? 

You sound like another one who has been taken in on the crest of a prosthetic wave in the weak promise that sonething will come out of it. 

There is far more likely hood that Truro will be playing in the SWL before the football league due to the financial costs of it all

The owners aren't wealthy enough to treat it as a hobby. They are businessmen and have made an investment and at some stage would want a return. How are the club going to be funded if they go to silverbow?

The club can have an Academy at any point. I've never understood why it has to be introduced when the new ground is built. The club will definitely need to look for further investment if they want to reach the Football League. I believe Mr Masters has already mentioned that. As for a few of the other things Russell mentioned, they do take time so I don't think it would've been possible to have been done when they first took over. However they should be in place now, not relying on a new stadium being built.

Jengle, An academy is not only about football, EDUCATION comes into it, complex details I am not privy to, however, academies are expensive and the grants available subject to strict guidelines, to have youth teams at varying age groups does not make an academy perhaps some of those posting on here should make themselves clear if it is an academy they want or a youth section.

I would imagine a 30-35000 thousand pound grant but a figure in excess of £100000 needed to put an academy into operation.

Could be enter stage right:- The current Truro Youth set up and their organisers.

2 hours ago, JENGLE said:

I don't think many from the Truro City Youth set up would be interested in joining the new set up. I might be wrong though. If Truro have the ambition they say they do, an Academy is needed, not a youth section.

JENGLE,come on,where do you think all this money will come from when we are getting gates of around 400,it barely covers our traveling costing for away league games.Think about it.

KIT, believe it or not I'm not that stupid. You are asking me where would this money come from? It's simple really. The money should come from the owner of the club, in this case Mr Masters. If he doesn't have the money for an Academy, which only he will know, then that's his problem. It's part and parcel of being a football owner. He's said on numerous occasions it's what he wants. And something like that is needed. A proper set up to help give our local youngsters a better of chance of playing at Truro's level. It is a lot of money, and our gate numbers are very low for this level. So, if he doesn't want to put all his cash in, which would be understandable, then advertise for cash donations or different ways of raising money for the project. Get enough people on board and things could go quite far. A youth section I don't think would be enough to get the local youngsters getting the standard of coaching they would need to make it to Truro's current level.

3 minutes ago, JENGLE said:

KIT, believe it or not I'm not that stupid. You are asking me where would this money come from? It's simple really. The money should come from the owner of the club, in this case Mr Masters. If he doesn't have the money for an Academy, which only he will know, then that's his problem. It's part and parcel of being a football owner. He's said on numerous occasions it's what he wants. And something like that is needed. A proper set up to help give our local youngsters a better of chance of playing at Truro's level. It is a lot of money, and our gate numbers are very low for this level. So, if he doesn't want to put all his cash in, which would be understandable, then advertise for cash donations or different ways of raising money for the project. Get enough people on board and things could go quite far. A youth section I don't think would be enough to get the local youngsters getting the standard of coaching they would need to make it to Truro's current level.

Behave Jengle,dont you start having a go at the Chairman.

Kit dont like it.

An academy - really (!) how many people live in Cornwall that actually play football (?)

The population is woefully short on numbers to support an academy - would never work.

Where would this academy be built (?) You need more than a patch of grass for those places.

Anyone who's any good would be heading to Argyle - not Truro.

The only reason they would head to Argyle is because nothing is on offer down here in Cornwall. If there was a decent set up then things could be different. There's only one way of finding out, and that's setting up this Academy. It's all coming at the new ground I assume older. I think that's what the Chairman has suggested anyway. Yes it's a big risk to take, as it could fail. But life is worth taking risks, you wouldn't know whether it's going to work as it's never been tried before by Truro. 

5 hours ago, somersetspur said:
5 hours ago, somersetspur said:

Behave Jengle,dont you start having a go at the Chairman.

Kit dont like it.

JENGLE no one has called you stupid but anyone who thinks a football academy that does not harm it's parent club is viable in an area such as Cornwall lives in "Cockoo" land - those suggesting an Academy  can only do so to score  popularity points, talk is cheap. KIt is right, many football league clubs have scrapped their Academies  because they are too expensive and fail to unearth the talent desired.

You say Truro Youth players wouldn't be interested so where would your academy srudents come from?

Nothing wrong with an Academy Ivor if it's done properly and talent comes through. It's a worth a shot at the very least. You never know if it works or not until you try it. If it does fail then at least we can say we gave it a go. Mr Masters seems pretty intent on doing it so he should've worked out costs and believe he has the money to do it. That would be a job for someone at the club to find them. Hold events, go and watch games etc.

19 minutes ago, JENGLE said:

Nothing wrong with an Academy Ivor if it's done properly and talent comes through. It's a worth a shot at the very least. You never know if it works or not until you try it. If it does fail then at least we can say we gave it a go. Mr Masters seems pretty intent on doing it so he should've worked out costs and believe he has the money to do it. That would be a job for someone at the club to find them. Hold events, go and watch games etc.

All very good on paper JENGLE,but as you mention a very big gamble,and would be very expensive.We must not forget Masters is a Truro business man,not a Russian billionaire.The set up of an academy is all very good in long term but would take years to bare any fruit from the set up.

I think before the thought of any academy we would be better served going full time professional,getting a quality reserve team going,and set up a youth section within the club to encourage the best of the counties football talent.This for the time being would show more fruitful results.Then think in terms of an academy further down the line.

I mentioned the education part of setting up an academy, everyone has ignored that, could the parents afford the risk of student debt for a future occupation where few succeed and then have to map out another career at a time they should already be getting established perhaps missing the boat with that.

I am sorry but Academies ARE A WASTE OF TIME, I have been involved with just 3 youths who advanced to that level, (for varying reasons, 2 injured 1 personality, they failed to reach their full potential) the number falling short is enormous, the best academy is for parents to take an interest in their own children then, in their early teens know if they have talent, word soon gets around when a youngster shows EXCEPTIONAL ability, you can't teach skill, you have it or you haven't, yes you can develop ways of using it but even that requirement varies from club to club.

JENGLE - Why not as an experiment check out current members of England's youth squad and follow their careers you will be surprised, few if any advance to becoming full International players. I know I am going back a long time but in (I think) 1960 England won the under 16 World Cup, not one of that team advanced to the England senior squad, just 2  became regular Division One players, a league devoid of foreign players so possibly current day Championship level. - One player made it Northern Ireland's Pat Jennings who later signed for Watford and then on to Spurs, whilst firmly anchored in the Northern Ireland full International team.

I use to spend time at weekends where we trained some 300 children, we did good because they were fit but NOT ONE had that inner motivation we see today in players such as Bale, Renaldo, Messi etc some advanced to be solid local players. With skillful players is where the PARENT INVOLVEMENT is vital, they would be the first to see it but they (the parent) will need to give up a lot of their time with no guarantee of success - The advantage being if their child didn't make it their full time education had not been interrupted.

There are a lot of average people making money out of sport inventing the need for various professions to cream off some of the monetary gravy, if you listen everyone needs an agent and the need of a shrink - jeepers it only needs an ability to kick a bag full of air.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me then who likes the idea of an Academy! ;) I agree with you KIT about the need for a Reserve Team. Although that needs to be in a league where it can compliment the league we are currently playing in, the National League South. Because if we are all honest, it's no good having a reserve side in the SWPL when we are at the top of the Non League pyramid.

Ivor, academies are a waste of time up to what level? As many teams have them, so the benefit must be seen by those who run the programme at their respective clubs. I'd be interested to follow current youth players and see where they end up. Maybe the standard of coaching needs to be improved or the way in which coaches deliver sessions need to be changed for more youth players to reach a full international honour?

JENGLE. I notice you ignore the economics but that is vital  to develop a young player costs a lot more than it would to pay a little extra in wages as and when a player is required. You do not mention the education aspect needed when setting up an Academy it is not just about the football.

The TRAGEDY of recent years was ignoring the Truro City youth teams, I think the damage from that will be felt for many years, Treyew Road should have been it's headquarters and trust put into the parents and team managers (various ages) to deliver future talent, those showing exceptional talent could then be given extra coaching maybe alongside the Truro City Natioal League team.

The youth of today should have a bond with their local club, proud in the knowledge that one day they may wear the shirt, nationally at non league level there  are near empty terraces why? Almost every kid loves kicking a ball they have their television favourites, surely locally clubs should be doing more possibly with the help of volunteers to encourage children to feel the same about local heroes.

The Chelski v Rent Boys game is over 2-1 to Chelsea but if you see the much acclaimed Hammers goal it was a repeat of Aaron Pughs goal for City at Concord except I think Aaron was a little further out, not as simple as the Concord supporters report in the non league paper suggests.

JENGLE. I would say the Premiership and Championship in the professional game may be useful but I remember being at Bisham Abbey at the time Tottenham Hotspur used the facilities there when bringing over groups of youngsters from Africa it was a regular thing searching for the stars of the future, not many came from that experiment personally I don't know of any.

Bisham Abbey  has it's resident ghost, one night an instructor told a group of African hopefuls about it, the next morning when going to wake them their rooms were empty and the beds not slept in, a search of the grounds found them huddled up by the side of the River Thames under a tree scared stiff.

I have mentioned previously about Wycombe Wanderers  giving up it's academy because the club couldn't afford it but it retains its youth section hosting dozens of teams, the family a stand is quite full most weeks.ŕ