Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth v Truro

According to my records the the first meeting between the two sides for this fine trophy was in March 1989 but whats a year between friends. It was played at Treyew Road wiith Town running out 4.1 winners after a goaless first half. Scorers on the day were Dodger Long Phil Shapcott and George Torrance 2 with City's only reply coming from the infamous Steve Massey. The followiing season City regained the trophy with a 2-1 win at Bickland Park. Both sides had some memorable names in there line ups, Falmouth's included John Dent in goal Dave Leonard Dave Ford Dave Gardner Tommy Matthews Neil Phillips Timmy Allen and Chris Long managed by Dave Wadd. The Truro side included Dennis Annear in goal Dave Streat Dave Slade Tony and Chris Webb Simon Fisher Vas Koromilas and Steve Massey managed by Morrish Truscott  The winner incidently was scored by Mark Rapsey. Will probably be a more low key affair this evening with both teams using it as more of a training exercise. Notice I have deliberately avoided using the phrase pre season friendly. This was always one of my most looked forward to games of the season. Boxing Day has never been the same since.

Fair comment Willow but the same was probably said after Falmouth's 3.2 win in the same competion in 2011, they then went on to win the Southern Premier League. Fair play to Falmouth who more than held there own against higher opposition but to anyone who knows anything about football, never judge a team by pre season friendlies. I thought Bicland Park was looking very fresh, a lot of hard work has obviously been going on behind the scenes although the pitch was a bit bobbly, excellent burgers also. Finally it was really nice meeting up with Mike and have a good chat about the good old days and catch up on all the gossip. Good luck to both teams for the forthcoming season.

Good to see you again Ray -There is so much more to reminisce -perhaps next time. Also nice to meet up with soccer scribes Rhod Mitchell & Mike Truscott

Agreed with his comments on the refreshing feeling of Bickland Park as I understand Andy and his squad of players have put in plenty of working hours during the short Summer break.

Not the most exciting of games but it was all about workout and getting up to speed from both camps. As Ray reminded me you couldn't better a good old bash on Boxing Day between these very old rivals.

Final Score...0--2 (0-0) N.Thompson(Pen), Cody Cooke

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 12:27, Mike Odgers said:
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 12:27, Mike Odgers said:

I didn't realise that a certain grade refereee had to officiate this PS friendly due to Truro being in Step 2 of the Pyramid system.

Referee Lee Roberts(Plymouth)- Assistants Derek Fox and Kevin Knowles-4th.official George Pattison lol

How much did that cost the club - a good financial day out for the officials !

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

Knowing the three local officials in sure they did it at most for expenses (bearing in mind Knowlesy being from Penryn, George from Helston and Derek from Porthleven, it wouldn't have been much). And as has been already said Lee was probably the nearest available official.

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 21:22, RAPPO said:

"Boxing" being the apt word!!! Some cracking local derbies versus City over the years! Great days though. ?⚽️?

Remember one year at Bickland the kick off was delayed for an hour to allow the sun to get up high enough to thaw the pitch on the tregoniggie side .think it was Thwaitesey that blasted a thunderbolt past Dennis Annear from outside the box for the winner .Or was it Dale Band ? Over to you Mike Odgers ?

3 hours ago, mattelot said:

Remember one year at Bickland the kick off was delayed for an hour to allow the sun to get up high enough to thaw the pitch on the tregoniggie side .think it was Thwaitesey that blasted a thunderbolt past Dennis Annear from outside the box for the winner .Or was it Dale Band ? Over to you Mike Odgers ?

According to records it was Boxing Day 1995