Cornwall Football Forum

Studio Ten tournament 1990 or 1991

Darin Morse

I'm currently reading the story of Adrian Doherty, a Manchester United youth player regarded as better than his team-mate Ryan Giggs until a bad injury. It turns out he played in the Studio Ten tournament in 1990, a pre-season competition held in Cornwall involving not only United, but the reserve teams of Everton, Liverpool and possibly others. I have vague memories of seeing the Merseyside derby at St Blazey (refereed by Lester Shapter - "We've not paid to see YOU, Shapter!"). Was there another similar tournament in 1991, as ebay are offering a programme? Did anybody famous take part? Perhaps Dave could run an article for a future edition of his magazine.

In 1991 Liverpool played Manchester United at Truro and I think Plymouth Argyle played Tottenham Hotspur at Liskeard but not sure. 

Roger Toms was the pioneer behind it.

Ryan giggs played in the studio 10 tournament in the liverpool side was Sammy Lee Jamie Redknapp and Robbie Fowler i saw the tournament at Penzance ,Truro and St Blazey where PLYMOUTH beat Man UTD in the final i still have the programs of the matches with autographs on it  Sheff Wed played in the tournament and they had a player called Nigel Jepson playing for them while he was due to play against Liverpool at Penzance but he was still drunk from the previous night drinking in Newquay he was dropped .Those where the days when big clubs came to Cornwall even Celtic came to Penzance got all the dteails here in my programs 

i have 3 programs of the studio 10 tournament which started in 1990 the teams in the 1st year of this tournament where EVERTON ,MAN UTD AND LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL WON THE TOURNAMENT BEATING MAN UTD 3-1 AT PENRYN . IN THE 2ND YEAR The teams where Man utd liverpool spurs and plymouth Ryan Giggs scored a brilliant goal at Truro in the thick fog to beat Spurs 2-1 and meet Plymouth in the final at St Blazey where Plymouth won 1-0 with a goal from Dwight Marshall in front of a 1800 crowd to win the Studio 10 cup . In 1992 the teams where Penzance Spurs sheff wed and Liverpool the man that organised the tournament Roger Toms was Penzance manager Liverpool had a strong side in Fowler , Redknapp , Hooper , Rosenthal and Sammy LEE but lost to Spurs in the final at PENZANCE 

5-1 THE SCORERS WHERE MAHORN ,MINTON , HUGHTON ,MCDONALD POTTS LIVERPOOL SCORER WAS REDKNAPP those where good times 

• 3 weeks later...

Just read exactly the same book on holiday. A tragic story. I too remember watching United v Liverpool at Truro I believe, although I was only 6 at the time and thought as I read it he must have played. I know none of the likes of Giggs etc played in that game as I had a programme and looked many years later to see if I'd recognise any names. May still have it somewhere will try and dig it out. 

I know Neil Philips played against the Liverpool side when he was at PZ - he had (May still have) a picture of the game in his house -  I remember him telling me about a young Mike Marsh who by all accounts was a very gifted player.

With the tash and mullet Neil had in the picture it was difficult to tell which team were the scouser!!!!!!! :)

Robbie Fowler didn't play in the event as he was only 15 years old.

Utd beat Liverpool at Truro 2-1, Ryan Wilson sent one over Mike Hooper from about 45 yards.  Steve Harkness got the Liverpool goal from a penalty past Gary Walsh.  I've got a programme round here somewhere from that.

On 01/08/2016 at 12:07, MaccaB said:

Just read exactly the same book on holiday. A tragic story. I too remember watching United v Liverpool at Truro I believe, although I was only 6 at the time and thought as I read it he must have played. I know none of the likes of Giggs etc played in that game as I had a programme and looked many years later to see if I'd recognise any names. May still have it somewhere will try and dig it out. 

Giggs was called Ryan Wilson back then

On 10/07/2016 at 18:56, 100%cornish said:

i have 3 programs of the studio 10 tournament which started in 1990 the teams in the 1st year of this tournament where EVERTON ,MAN UTD AND LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL WON THE TOURNAMENT BEATING MAN UTD 3-1 AT PENRYN . IN THE 2ND YEAR The teams where Man utd liverpool spurs and plymouth Ryan Giggs scored a brilliant goal at Truro in the thick fog to beat Spurs 2-1 and meet Plymouth in the final at St Blazey where Plymouth won 1-0 with a goal from Dwight Marshall in front of a 1800 crowd to win the Studio 10 cup . In 1992 the teams where Penzance Spurs sheff wed and Liverpool the man that organised the tournament Roger Toms was Penzance manager Liverpool had a strong side in Fowler , Redknapp , Hooper , Rosenthal and Sammy LEE but lost to Spurs in the final at PENZANCE 

5-1 THE SCORERS WHERE MAHORN ,MINTON , HUGHTON ,MCDONALD POTTS LIVERPOOL SCORER WAS REDKNAPP those where good times 

Apologies, didn't realise you had meant that Fowler played in 1992.  have to admit, I don't remember that.

Fowler was only a sub vs Spurs he was really young then and i think Giggs was only 16 when he played at Truro Plymouth beat Spurs 6 -5 on pens at Liskeard to play Man U td Rhys Wilmot saves 3 pens vs Spurs Plymouth won 1-0 in the final Dwight Marshall the scorer in front of a 1,500 crowd at St Blazey 

I recall getting Nigel Jemson's autograph at Penzance when he was sat in the stand. Ex Forest striker. He was playing for Sheffield Wednesday. 

I also recall the big win for Spurs mentioned above. Scott Houghton lobbed the keeper from about 45 yards just in front of the stand at Penlee Park. 

Roger Toms would have been the manager of Penzance at the time. 

Edited by magpie291
Spelling

Thanks 100%.

I was not aware of that at the time. If he was still at Forest I bet Cloughie would have done more than just drop him! 

Not sure if this was at a Studio 10 game.  I remember a very young Steve McManaman scoring a hat trick against Penzance. The Cornishman credited the goals to Steve McMahon from memory. A Liverpool side were regular visitors to Penzance in those days. I think one of our goalkeepers, Ian Yeowart had links with the Liverpool supporters club.