Cornwall Football Forum

Former county coach John Riley RIP

Dave Deacon

The County FA has just announced the following : "It is with great sadness we inform you that long term friend of Cornwall FA, ex County Coaching Rep and Tutor, John Riley has passed away."

John would have left a big impression on many throughout the county and so condolences go to all his family and close friends

Shocked and very saddened by the news. I knew John really well and was a massive help to me as a coach and often travelled with the county youth team as a valued guest who I often used to get advice from.

He would sit writing on his notepad scribing chapters for his next book and laughing with the boys and keeping young with them. The boys didn't know who he was to begin with but they all had massive respect for him once he was introduced.

A real gentleman of football and as good a coach as you'll ever meet.

RIP John great friend and mentor.

Tommy

John was one of the good guys and will be greatly missed.

Working alongside him at the Cornwall Centre of Excellence (Truro) was a privilege and he would always pass on his vast coaching knowledge and experience in a truly professional manner. Have been away from the county for the past 12 years but we always remained in touch, just sad for me that having recently moved back did not have the opportunity to go and see him again.

My best wishes to Pam and the family

Did my FA Pre Lim badge with John about 25 years ago. 8 hours a day for 4 Sunday's in a row at Launceston college. Must admit those 32 hours flew by listening to John!!! Expert coach, makes it look easy but explained it in simple terms to the non footballers on the course, he gave everyone confidence and a chance. Real old school football man, could listen all day to his football stories. Can't echo much more than Tom, Dave and DLP49 have already done but just to say a big loss to football, and it was a pleasure to have known John. Best wishes to Johns family at this time. RIP John ⚽️

Another success story that we can add to the list who certainly gained from John's coaching at the Cornwall Centre of Excellence  was Wayne Quinn (Sheffield United & Newcastle United) Both Matthew and Wayne were more or less at the Centre the same time.

I had the privilege of putting Wayne forward for a trial at Sheffield United (had the contacts) but it was John who should take all the credit for his progress at the Centre of Excellence.

If anyone gets a heads up on funeral arrangements could you please pass on. 

I never had the pleasure of seeing John in coaching action, but spent many an hour and travelled many a mile with him on the County U'18 coach during my time with the County Youth team. A top guy and very knowledgeable about the game. Always worth listening too and full of stories. 

Thanks for your company and advice John. May you rest in peace.