Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - Wednesday May 11th 2016

Mr Beale, I wasn't speaking to you. I'd also appreciate it if you didn't tell me to shut up. Let's have a bit of respect here shall we, one forum contributor to another, eh 

My last two posts were in relation to this comment:

there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinions of a individuals performance directly at him what ever the manner, on the pitch of off it. to get a red for it on the other hand just seems silly. but then you could say "swearing in the first instance is silly"?!

I moved off the incident in your game quite a while ago, although I spoke about language in general. Keep up Sir :c:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

I've not got a problem with you voicing your opinion. I fully respect your opinion and your entitlement to have one. BUT, with that opinion you are going to be shocked, surprised and disappointed after every game when you've realised hardly anyone shames that same views on this matter as you do. 

To say that players (or anyone) should be able to voice their opinions, on or off the pitch in whatever manner they please (and get away with it) is completely absurd. Your ignorance here offends me. 

Do you not think that there's enough bad behaviour and abuse in football at the moment? 

This immediately highlights the inconsistency in the refereeing world. I was at a game last night where a player, not once, but at least twice suggested to the referee that his decision not to award a free-kick wasn't very good. The player's words were far more colourful of course. The comment was directed towards the referee, but from about 20 yards away. I could hear it and I was a further 20 yards away! No punishment given out! However, I get the impression Dange'rous that you would have red carded him, so why didn't the ref in question?

Good point here Dave, well made.

Personally for me, if someone has sworn in frustration, it is a manageable situation. You manage it by talking with the player (and captain if necessary) and/or you take the card approach.  

In this situation, did the referee hear it? I'd like to think if there was a colourful tirade in his direction, he would have dealt with it there and then, or remembered it for next time.

This is where the problem lies, last nights ref in the highlighted game was clearly offended and/or insulted by the language used. If he is, in law that is a red card. 

As soon as you direct that language and/or abuse towards me or someone else, I step in. Depending on the severity would depend on the action I take. 

With a player swearing in frustration (9 times out of ten this is the sole reason), I would not send him off. I would have a word in his ear. He does it again, I would call the captain in for the "official" talk, after that we are now in the card realm.

It is difficult for me personally, I am a new referee that has only completed 40 games (since October). My approach may be different to a level 5 with 20 years experience. We all have different tolerance levels, different interpretations of actions and words. 

In my opinion, the referees that let things go are sometimes part of the problem. Player gets away with it with Mr Manning (for example) last week may not be so lucky with me the week after.

I wouldn't call it an inconsistency because every referee officiates the game by their interpretation of the Laws of the game. It's the interpretation that is the problem. That is clear to see with the 90+ law changes that are about to be implemented.

4 minutes ago, Tempo said:

See I don't mind them swearing out of frustration if it's not over the top loud.

as soon as they swear at me they're off and I make that clear to the captains before the game. It's down to interpretation.

I've been known to express my feelings (frustration) using profanities on more than one occasion. I've got a semi final tonight to play, I can guarantee you they'll be a few colourful words leaving my gob. 

Discipline. I know when to shut my mouth and how not to express my frustration.

Just take all emotion out of football , every decision the ref makes is right , don't even question him . I remember when refs were man enough to look you in the face and tell you to shut it ! Then when they ran past say ,  "your having a stinker you pr*#k .  Now it's chests out yellow and reds issued like confetti . Talk about players watching to much premier league I think some refs have as well !! 

Tribute, I wouldn't talk to a player like that, simply because if they spoke to me like it they'd be off. Treat players with respect, if they fail to treat refs with respect, it's them that will pay the price.

The laws are clear for everyone to see. If players and manages etc took a moment to actually read them and understand them, the confetti cards would be significantly reduced. I talk from a player and ref perspective. I've had two yellows in my life. That's it. I'm disciplined. It's not hard to keep your mouth shut is it, y'know. Dissent frustrates me because it is so avoidable with a bit of restraint

Don't take things personally. When you play do some of the opposition call you names you don't like ? What would you do then ? It's human nature sometimes to question decisions and some times ,  as I said , as a committed player you can get a bit emotional. But saying that there are certain things you never say , agree with the C word , and once told by the ref you shut up . Never left the field without shaking the refs hand and thanking him . 

Nothing taken personally mate :) Unless it's nasty of course :ninja:

When I play and someone has a go, I have a go back. I dont swear and I don't insult; do that and I leave myself open for a bollocking. I've never been one to shy away from a confrontation, predominantly in the big games. That's football. But then the referee comes in and manages it (most of the time). 

I contest, I moan and groan and get annoyed in games. That's my nature. But I keep my head and maintain discipline. I've never been one to insult people though, my mummy brought me up better than that lol.

Two words for me that would get you automatically dismissed. One is the obvious C word; the other is cheat. Call the ref a cheat and it's game over (in most cases).

Confrontation and discipline issues will never go away but it can certainly be managed by a good referee. Sometimes, a card is the only option though. It the majority of my games, after the first yellow for dissent, there is very rarely any more. 

Ive got a semi final tonight, I can guarantee you I'll throw a few choice words around, it's natural. 

It's all about a level of common sense...

Reason some of the most respected referees in the local game are that is because theyunderstand plays get frustrated... And they've played the game themselves... So they give players the benefit of the doubt and that's why those referees are always highly marked, highly respected, and normally get no abuse directed towards them...

If people were sent off for every swear word games be abandoned left right and centre!!! 

If you abuse a referee directly they deserve to go but swearing in frustration is something sometimes cannot help at all, always banter going on pitch between the opposing teams also that's part of the fun... I was sent off by a certain referee a few years back in a Sunday league game for saying this is a contact sport ref this is getting ridiculous... Which was deemed inappropriate comments towards a match official resulting in two game ban and a fine.. Which I thought was awful however ccfa to be fair to them gotta back referees and I understand that.

stokefan1, I prefer to call those referees popular, because they keep their cards in their pockets consequently they get good club marks.  Good club marks do not necesserally mean the best referees. An example recently I sent off a player I also removed the manager from the dug out, now I can guarantee my club marks from that team were shall we say not the best, but I know I took the correct action.

1 hour ago, stokefan1 said:

It's all about a level of common sense...

Reason some of the most respected referees in the local game are that is because theyunderstand plays get frustrated... And they've played the game themselves... So they give players the benefit of the doubt and that's why those referees are always highly marked, highly respected, and normally get no abuse directed towards them...

If people were sent off for every swear word games be abandoned left right and centre!!! 

If you abuse a referee directly they deserve to go but swearing in frustration is something sometimes cannot help at all, always banter going on pitch between the opposing teams also that's part of the fun... I was sent off by a certain referee a few years back in a Sunday league game for saying this is a contact sport ref this is getting ridiculous... Which was deemed inappropriate comments towards a match official resulting in two game ban and a fine.. Which I thought was awful however ccfa to be fair to them gotta back referees and I understand that.

Couldn't agree anymore, at least a couple of people on here have common sense and a brain cell

I'm not really one to comment on this but it all seems abit ludicrous to me, so what a player got sent off for swearing?? It dosent matter if there were 100 spectators or 0 they still swore and if there were children present its certainly not fair, I have many of times been warned before the game as captain that language is a minimum frustration some times is understandable is what I've been told by many of refs yet at the same time I've seen people receive bookings for persistent swearing although it was just simply frustration, I'm just struggling to understand why there is still confusion on why they  got sent off, just because some referees may be a little more lenient than others dosent mean there should be a big deal made, I believe common sense has nothing to do with it, im

sure if it was a Newquay player that got the red card you wouldn't of made the comments on the forum regarding  the referee ( the person who makes it possible for us to play this beautiful game by giving up their spare time)

25 minutes ago, t-jaylobb said:

I'm not really one to comment on this but it all seems abit ludicrous to me, so what a player got sent off for swearing?? It dosent matter if there were 100 spectators or 0 they still swore and if there were children present its certainly not fair, I have many of times been warned before the game as captain that language is a minimum frustration some times is understandable is what I've been told by many of refs yet at the same time I've seen people receive bookings for persistent swearing although it was just simply frustration, I'm just struggling to understand why there is still confusion on why they  got sent off, just because some referees may be a little more lenient than others dosent mean there should be a big deal made, I believe common sense has nothing to do with it, im

sure if it was a Newquay player that got the red card you wouldn't of made the comments on the forum regarding  the referee ( the person who makes it possible for us to play this beautiful game by giving up their spare time)

Probably the worst one for it lol.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

This immediately highlights the inconsistency in the refereeing world. I was at a game last night where a player, not once, but at least twice suggested to the referee that his decision not to award a free-kick wasn't very good. The player's words were far more colourful of course. The comment was directed towards the referee, but from about 20 yards away. I could hear it and I was a further 20 yards away! No punishment given out! However, I get the impression Dange'rous that you would have red carded him, so why didn't the ref in question?

The words in the opinion of the referee. This topic has shown already how many different opinions there are on the issue. So with this you will never get consistency because everybody has a slightly different tolerance level.

15 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

The words in the opinion of the referee. This topic has shown already how many different opinions there are on the issue. So with this you will never get consistency because everybody has a slightly different tolerance level.

Precisely the point I've been trying to make :) Interpretation and tolerance

2 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

2 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

I was the first player sent off in the game between Falmouth Town 3rds and Newquay and I thought it was very harsh. I swore under my breath because I was annoyed with myself, it wasn't aggressive or malicious in any way, nor was it aimed at anyone. The referee didn't warn either team before the game about language. I don't understand why it was a red and if he wanted to make an example of me i don't see why he couldn't have just booked me. Also I've had this referee before earlier in the season and players swore directly at him and he didn't even caution them, so how is this fair when i only swore to myself and they swore AT the referee?

Also i haven't been booked all season let alone sent off, and never had any disputes with a referee, which shows the type of player i am. I understand players getting sent off for offensive language towards the referee or other players, however when its due to personal frustration and under your breath i don't really see the problem.

The only 2 people that have commented on this post that were actually at the game were Ian Beale and myself, so you writing things like "could of been" is completely irrelevant.

Watched a game this evening...was always going to be a bit 'passionate' as the two clubs playing have 'history'  

Towards the end of the first half a player very loudly indicated that the ref should F... off! The ref immediately responded by giving him a yellow card....from then on both sides more or less shut their mouths and got on with the game. It was so good to see the ref stamp firmly on this and control the game without further abuse,

Who knows, if this continues I will feel confident enough to take my 4 year old grandson to games as he is footy mad! :SM_carton_y::thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Richy94 said:

I was the first player sent off in the game between Falmouth Town 3rds and Newquay and I thought it was very harsh. I swore under my breath because I was annoyed with myself, it wasn't aggressive or malicious in any way, nor was it aimed at anyone. The referee didn't warn either team before the game about language. I don't understand why it was a red and if he wanted to make an example of me i don't see why he couldn't have just booked me. Also I've had this referee before earlier in the season and players swore directly at him and he didn't even caution them, so how is this fair when i only swore to myself and they swore AT the referee?

Also i haven't been booked all season let alone sent off, and never had any disputes with a referee, which shows the type of player i am. I understand players getting sent off for offensive language towards the referee or other players, however when its due to personal frustration and under your breath i don't really see the problem.

The only 2 people that have commented on this post that were actually at the game were Ian Beale and myself, so you writing things like "could of been" is completely irrelevant.

I've not referenced this game or post since the start, I have been talking about generic language pretty much 95% of the time.

If what you have just said is factual, I feel sorry for you as it would seem a bit harsh. Just remember that there is an appeal process for red cards (isn't there)?

20 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

I've not referenced this game or post since the start, I have been talking about generic language pretty much 95% of the time.

If what you have just said is factual, I feel sorry for you as it would seem a bit harsh. Just remember that there is an appeal process for red cards (isn't there)?

Is there, or does it have to be backed up by video evidence?

maidincornwall, if a player shouted directly at the referee "f........off" that is a red card offence, if only a yellow was given then that referee was incorrect, in fact he is guilty of failing to apply the LOAF and leaving himself open to disciplinary action.

8 hours ago, maidincornwall said:

Watched a game this evening...was always going to be a bit 'passionate' as the two clubs playing have 'history'  

Towards the end of the first half a player very loudly indicated that the ref should F... off! The ref immediately responded by giving him a yellow card....from then on both sides more or less shut their mouths and got on with the game. It was so good to see the ref stamp firmly on this and control the game without further abuse,

Who knows, if this continues I will feel confident enough to take my 4 year old grandson to games as he is footy mad! :SM_carton_y::thumbsup:

And there lies the issue... Say that to me in a game (context and manner dependant), you are walking.

Being told to f-off is offensive, abusive and insulting in my eyes.

With the recent forming of the behaviour working party, it's this sort of thing that we are trying to eradicate. This guy got a yellow yesterday, he may only get a talking too tomorrow.. Yet he'd get a red from me. It's inconsistent and I can see why so many people get frustrated by it all.

Dave, I've never had to appeal a red card, but I know that you can. Whether that includes video evidence, Im not sure to be honest. If the incident is as described by the player above... I do feel sorry for him, he's been unlucky. But, I weren't there (as has been stated) so I can't pass judgement on the incident itself 

Following requests from clubs the system of suspensions was changed from days to matches. One of the consequences of this is that appeals against red cards can only be made in the case of mistaken identity, and there must be video evidence to support this. I believe.this is an FA directive.

3 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

Do you know how i go about appealing?

6 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

I don't think you're able to mate, look at clubman's post above. :(

Who's going to be recording a div 3 game! Only frustrated because now i could potentially miss a cup final and the start of next season.

3 hours ago, B Manning said:

maidincornwall, if a player shouted directly at the referee "f........off" that is a red card offence, if only a yellow was given then that referee was incorrect, in fact he is guilty of failing to apply the LOAF and leaving himself open to disciplinary action.

But if the referee wasn't offended then they could book for dissent so it is down to interpretation (not mine might I add, I would be sending off in this instance of a play telling me to **** off).

2 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

But if the referee wasn't offended then they could book for dissent so it is down to interpretation (not mine might I add, I would be sending off in this instance of a play telling me to **** off).

There lies the issue. Definitely off in my book.

4 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

There lies the issue. Definitely off in my book.

A problem though we will never get away from. I know players will swear in frustration and if not public will ignore, if loudly will have a word in first instance. Other referees though as we have seen will do differently.

The only way around it would be to list the words which should not be said on the field of play (then though we would have the problem of the referee saying they haven't heard them).

1 hour ago, Richy94 said:

Do you know how i go about appealing?

You cannot appeal against dismissals for foul and abusive language.  Video evidence is no longer mandatory but for any appeal you have to be able to show that the referee was incorrect in Law.  The timelines for submitting an appeal are also quite tight.  The process is described at pages 26-29 here: http://esports.flipboxapp.net/Discipline/

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

You cannot appeal against dismissals for foul and abusive language.  Video evidence is no longer mandatory but for any appeal you have to be able to show that the referee was incorrect in Law.  The timelines for submitting an appeal are also quite tight.  The process is described at pages 26-29 here: http://esports.flipboxapp.net/Discipline/

Steve, say for example I red carded a player and later I thought "Actually that may have been a tad harsh". Maybe the game was an ill-mannered one, I was losing patience and despite the player not being spoken to all game, he was unlucky the one to push me over the edge... Although not incorrect in law and with no video evidence, would the FA drop the bans if I turned around in my report and said "it was heat of the moment, he didn't deserve a red card for what he done. I admit, it was very harsh and that was the nature of the game", where would that lead too?

It takes a lot for me to send someone off so I'd like to think I wouldn't be in this situation, but players have nightmare games at times, so can the referee... Never asked this question or been in the situation where I feel a red I've issued has been harsh but that doesn't mean to say it will never happen to me in the future

A difficult one, this Dange'rous, while it would be nice to think that a referee in the situation you describe should be able to rescind a card, at least before (s)he puts the match report in. However such a regulation could leave the ref open to threats (or allegations) of blackmail or bribery after the event. Not that I would suggest that any Cornish ref would be open to corruption. 

I'm sure you would agree with me Dange'rous........'cause I know where you live!!!!

Just watch a rugby match... See how the referee is respected by all 30 players. They know the consequences if they don't. Watched a few SWPL games recently and felt sorry for the ref each time. Both benches and players on his case, whoever the decision went against. Shocking really. We've all been frustrated in our time, mine was usually with club linesman, when you know you've been ripped off a goal but reffing is a bloody hard job, they do miss things, like we do as players. No one is perfect and knows it all. We've all had an off day. Why not the next time you play or manage, as you run by the ref just say, "great advantage" back there ref or "well spotted". Don't cost anything and the ref might well appreciate it and think someone is on his side!!!?? No ref kicks off a game thinking I'm gonna cheat that team out of it or I'm gonna send a couple off tonight!!! They want to have a good game as well!!! Just try being nice next game and see what happens? You might just find that the ref is actually human as well!!! Well done to Dangerous and Tempo, great to see and good luck lads. ??⚽️?

11 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Just watch a rugby match... See how the referee is respected by all 30 players. They know the consequences if they don't. Watched a few SWPL games recently and felt sorry for the ref each time. Both benches and players on his case, whoever the decision went against. Shocking really. We've all been frustrated in our time, mine was usually with club linesman, when you know you've been ripped off a goal but reffing is a bloody hard job, they do miss things, like we do as players. No one is perfect and knows it all. We've all had an off day. Why not the next time you play or manage, as you run by the ref just say, "great advantage" back there ref or "well spotted". Don't cost anything and the ref might well appreciate it and think someone is on his side!!!?? No ref kicks off a game thinking I'm gonna cheat that team out of it or I'm gonna send a couple off tonight!!! They want to have a good game as well!!! Just try being nice next game and see what happens? You might just find that the ref is actually human as well!!! Well done to Dangerous and Tempo, great to see and good luck lads. ??⚽️?

Great post Rappo :) 

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Spot on as always Rappo. Cheers.

To be fair. Rugby has always had respect. There's still a few more years for football to catch up. Also the punishment in rugby is far harsher for breaching any rules. 

The problem in football is that 99% of people lack common sense, that includes players, managers and referees!!

the whiles wearing in football and the punishment given by referees is why players get so frustrated. In this post alone, there is a referee that says he doesn't mind swearing as long as it's not directed at someone and abusive and then there's other referee who doesn't tolerate it. But what does the law say???

therefore you can understand why everyone is so frustrated by it all

45 minutes ago, St Darren said:

To be fair. Rugby has always had respect. There's still a few more years for football to catch up. Also the punishment in rugby is far harsher for breaching any rules. 

The problem in football is that 99% of people lack common sense, that includes players, managers and referees!!

the whiles wearing in football and the punishment given by referees is why players get so frustrated. In this post alone, there is a referee that says he doesn't mind swearing as long as it's not directed at someone and abusive and then there's other referee who doesn't tolerate it. But what does the law say???

therefore you can understand why everyone is so frustrated by it all

the law says offensive and abusive I believe. But both of those terms are very vague. I personally don't think that someone swearing out of frustration because they missed an open goal is offensive, particularly if it's not being shouted for everyone to hear (that's when it can be a bigger problem because a lot of pitches such as ours are by parks). However, if someone were to call me or one of my assistants a cheating **** it's a bit different. A lot of the laws are down to interpretation. Some people like the idea of rules or laws being set in stone, I am personally okay with them being left to interpretation. I just think sometimes common sense has to come into play. If someone mutters **** sake after a misplaced pass - do they really deserve to leave the field and face a suspension? If they're shouting it then give them a warning, if they do it again book them and make an example of them that you won't tolerate it. I mean I don't want to say too much as I'm new to all of this refereeing lark but that's my opinion on it. 

If you play a higher level though you get away with more. Why? You're playing the same sport 

until its stamped out at the top then it will continue 

vardy got extra man for stuff he said, yet Rooney the weekend after was clearly shown swearing in the face of the ref and he was just told to go away!!

This red card for foul and abusive language is absolutely ridiculous! Now I'm fully behind officials who give players their marching orders if this language is aimed at them, but if a player fluffs his lines out of frustration lets one out I can't believe for the life of me that this deserves a red card!! I can only assume the official only heard the language and assumed it was aimed it him? Surly if he'd seen what the player had done and then consequently his reaction he'd understand why?

who was the official? Pointless trying to appeal this red you'd only end up with a longer ban! 

I've seen some mixed officiating in my time down here and I must say I am already starting to recognise names and faces, for good and bad reasons! Half of the ones who cause issues are ones who have probably never played the game and try and use the LOTG as an absolute must / bible rather than some experience of the game and interpretation of situations. Do officials who are newly qualified have a trial period before they can actually officiate on their own? Have mentors? Coaches etc? What happens after this period is there a chance to reassess them? Too many newbies concentrating on obeying the LOTG, yet 90% of the others use experience as their bible something maybe to consider rather than quoting laws all the time? 

12 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I think perhaps Rooney was swearing as part of his normal vocabulary, rather than actually swearing at the ref (?)  just a thought.

I think that seems to be everyone nowadays. Swearing, which once upon a time was frowned upon seems to be normal. I know Wayne Rooney always seems to be the one blamed but watching Premier League football, Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Frank Lampard are all guilty of the same thing whereas Rooney tends to be made the scapegoat. As Rappo points out, rugby is light years ahead. Maybe before the next Development meeting thingy, football locally at least could follow the rugby line. Watch a youtube video on rugby referees/refereeing. They are firm and the players do as they are told. It's a shame footballers can't do the same. Andy Robinson was a good local referee from Newquay who went "over to the dark side" after too much abuse in football. He reported on either this forum or the old Cornish Soccer one that it was the best decision he ever made. Respect all around - the way it should be!

17 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Don't tell me you've been caught offside in your lifetime Rappo ? 

The premier league referees are governed by the premier league, not the FA. Imagine this, Rooney, Aguero (or some superstar) that people are spending good money to watch swears at the referee... Referee sends him off. Imagine the uproar. The money that the fans would feel is wasted. Unfortunately it's not an FA thing, once referees reach a certain point, they aren't allocated and managed by the county, they are with the FA. After that, then they are with the Premier League. Hell, they probably want to dismiss when a player swears, but their "terms" say they can't. Unfortunately the higher you go, football transitions from a sport to a business..

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

This red card for foul and abusive language is absolutely ridiculous! Now I'm fully behind officials who give players their marching orders if this language is aimed at them, but if a player fluffs his lines out of frustration lets one out I can't believe for the life of me that this deserves a red card!! I can only assume the official only heard the language and assumed it was aimed it him? Surly if he'd seen what the player had done and then consequently his reaction he'd understand why?

who was the official? Pointless trying to appeal this red you'd only end up with a longer ban! 

I've seen some mixed officiating in my time down here and I must say I am already starting to recognise names and faces, for good and bad reasons! Half of the ones who cause issues are ones who have probably never played the game and try and use the LOTG as an absolute must / bible rather than some experience of the game and interpretation of situations. Do officials who are newly qualified have a trial period before they can actually officiate on their own? Have mentors? Coaches etc? What happens after this period is there a chance to reassess them? Too many newbies concentrating on obeying the LOTG, yet 90% of the others use experience as their bible something maybe to consider rather than quoting laws all the time? 

I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge;

Firstly, the first paragraph.. I agree with you 100%.

Who was the official? I don't really want to say, but if you check the fixture on full time or the referee appointment sheet, you will see.

Do officials have a trial period? They have an initial five game period before they reach level 7, until that point, they are classed as trainees.

Have mentors/coaches? Yes, some do. I believe all the young academy refs have mentors that they come under. I never got a mentor or coach. The first time I was watched (other than the qualifying game), I was being assessed. I think it depends on competence level. I know that all of the new guys have been watched by assessors and mentors, so that policy may have changed. Regardless, the majority of the senior/experience referees, The RDO and Ref App. sec all operate an open door policy, which I've used on a few occasions.

What happens after this period? We get assessed regularly, especially more so if we have applied for promotion. The CFA try to get reps to watch the games.

Newbies quoting the laws all the time is exactly what they are being paid to do. I'm fortunate that I've been in the game for a while. At 29 years old (on Monday for those wanting to send me a present), I like to think I've got enough experience in me to make the transition to referee quite easy. My assessments so far and the positive feedback I've received have helped me to see that is the case. Language on the field, for me is all about context. I can understand frustration because I do it myself when I play. But, when you aim it at someone, it's a different story. Also all depends on the manner it's said in aswell; is the player frustrated? Was it a reaction? Has the player had time to think about what he's about to say etc?

Ive been refereeing since October, I've done just over 40 games since then, which I'm proud of considering the weather and the fact I'm still actively playing. As a referee, I'm not very experienced. But the reason I've had good assessments, marks and feedback is because I apply the experience I've gained from playing over the last 13 years :)

At a time when referee numbers are dwindling, we have to become accustomed to the fact that quite a few of the newbies will be youngsters needing an extra few quid, or players that haven't played for particularly long. It would be great to see more experienced players take my approach; play the game and ref when you don't have one :)