Cornwall Football Forum

You're In Charge - #2

What is your decision as a referee?

Scenario 1 (358)
It's 1-1 in the last minute of a cup final.  A wayward shot heads straight for your face. Instinctively you cover your face; the ball hits you and travels away. You look up and see the ball has gone straight into the net. What do you do?

Scenario 2
A defender, hanging by his arms from the crossbar of his own goal, heads the ball to prevent it from entering the goal. What do you do?

Scenario 3 (357) 
A defender attempts to head a corner over the bar to safety - but it deflects off his man-bun and into his own net. When the ball made contact, the man-bun flew off- revealing itself to be a clip-on. Does the goal stand?

1) a: Cry, if it hit hard. b: Celebrate, I never scored many goals. c: Give a goal, hitting a Ref is like hitting a divet, an inanimate obstruction!

2) a: Caution the ape, as to hang from the goal post he must have part of his hand behind the goal line. b: Ring the zoo and ask them to collect him before he does any real damage. c: I'd give a penalty for obstruction in the area - that would teach them to muck me about!

3) a: Disallow the goal, like those weird heading skull caps a few seasons back it's claiming an unnatural advantage. b: Book him for having an unauthorised piece of kit. c: Out him on social media for being a Pratt  

1) Goal, but only if your assistant saw it go in fairly. If this happened in a game without neutral ARs then it's a drop ball technical as the referee hasn't seen the ball enter the goal.

2) Caution for unsporting behaviour and IDFK from edge of the goal area.

3) Award the goal and ask the player to remove it from field of play.

@bighairydave is spot in.

1) You’ve scored. A horrible scenario, but you have to try to calm everyone down and explain the position: the match officials are considered part of the field of play – just like the goalpost, bar or corner flagposts. So if the ball makes contact with you, even via an instinctive action such as this, the game continues. Award the goal. If it is a debatable goal and one that you haven't seen yourself cross the line , you will need to speak to your assistants. Club assistants can be honest and say goal, but if they say it didn't cross the line and you didn't see it cross the line, a drop ball from where the ball hit you would take place.

2) The ball has been prevented from entering the goal due to the defender hanging on the bar. Therefore, play would cease (if goal scoring advantage cannot be applied) and the player would be cautioned for Unsporting Behaviour. An indirect free kick would be award on the line of the goal area (6 yard box) opposite where the offence occurred,

3) You have to keep up with fashion… This player’s hair, whether real or artificial, counts as part of his person. So award the goal. But before resuming, you need to have a word with him: now that you are aware that the man-bun is made of poorly-attached extensions, tell him if he wants to continue, he has to play without it, as it could pose a safety risk.

Thanks for taking part. What's the general idea? Like this sort of thing or shall I knock it on the head?

3 hours ago, Mangle said:

I recall doing these questions in my old "SHOOT!" magazines back in the early 70s....

Shoot! Is still going believe it or not! I did work experience for them last year and it's literally just two guys and a designer now, how upsetting is that?

Where in the rules is hanging off the crossbar to gain extra height an offence? You may just as well penalise Pughey for being too tall. What if Les reached up to use Pughey's shoulders to launch himself to a greater height? Is that against the rules? If so, the Rules of the Game are very heightist! Those of us of less-than-average height should make a stand (albeit not a very high one!).

3 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Where in the rules is hanging off the crossbar to gain extra height an offence? You may just as well penalise Pughey for being too tall. What if Les reached up to use Pughey's shoulders to launch himself to a greater height? Is that against the rules? If so, the Rules of the Game are very heightist! Those of us of less-than-average height should make a stand (albeit not a very high one!).

Shut up - shorty.