Cornwall Football Forum

Combo results - Saturday 5th March 2016

Combo Fixtures

Saturday 5th March (remember now 3pm kick-offs)
Ludgvan P-P St Ives Town
Mullion (Nathan Davison) 1-2 Hayle (Danny Ford 2)
Att - 40
Newquay Reserves 0-2 Helston Athletic Reserves (Fraser Patterson, Craig Tanner)
Att - 53
Penryn Athletic Reserves 0-1 Goonhavern Athletic (Tony Chapman)
Att - 30
Porthleven Reserves 0-8 Perranwell (Dominic Pullen 3, Gavin Perraton, Jack Adams, Matt Read, Andy Senior, OG)
Att - 24
Perranporth (Rob Watts, Colin Wheeler) 2-2 RNAS Culdrose (Daniel Hindmarch, Stephen Hughes)
Att - 25
Redruth United (Chris Dower) 1-0 St Day 
Att - 30
St Agnes (Alec Penrose 3, Sam Connolly, Mark Bell) 5-0 Illogan RBL Reserves 
Att - 45
St Just (Ashley Ellis 2, Tom Mannering, Jason Currim) 4-4 Holman SC (Derek Pickin 2, Jack Mankee, Ashleigh Bingham)
Att - 25

League Cup Q-F (2.30pm)
Carharrack (Ryan Stephens 2, Bradley Leivers) 3-0 Falmouth Town Reserves
Att - 19

Mullion1-2 Hayle well done lads a third away win on the bounce and deserved to   Hayle started well and  could have been a goal up in the first minute   Mullion went a goal up with their first real  attack ,  but a Danny Ford pen just before half time got Hayle a deserved equaliser ,  Billy Foster, and Craig Wilcox where a constant threat on both sides , which if it wasn't for Mullions keeper who had a storming game even after he took a blow to the head  when making a save , in my mind he was the difference between Hayle scoring more , and some wayward finishing as well  ,  another penalty expertly despatched by Danny Ford in the second half  secured the points ,  credit to both young teams they  didn't give an inch and both sides put in Robust tackles , the pitch held up okay  but was very uneven under foot ,  making for  not the best football at times ,  a mention for Sam Charlton  who was everywhere in the middle of the park breaking play up ,   and Hope Danny Richards is OK after  he had to come of with a bang to the head ,   very good result  today and Hayle has taken six points  from Mullion this season which is great as they are a very good team ,  good luck for the rest of the season , and hope your keepers head is better , but it didn't affect his game so well done to him.

St just 4-4 Holmans

have to say not commented to much this season as been a very difficult adjustment to senior football for some players  but 6 18-19 yr Olds playing in this team are adapting so well.  To go to st just today would be a massive  test for them but they came through after being battered and bruised and at times mainly by one player bullied ie being stamped on .  Referee Mark Hosking did a good job . Never an easy place to go and enough respect to Steve Curnow , perhaps I m loading the gun but if my son spoke to me at a game the way I heard his today I would be very disappointed. Plus he wouldn't, anyway the lad up top for the saints scored two good goals even if we were a bit poor defensively and at ht we were 2-1 down after jack Mankee had levelled at 1-1 for us .  Second half and we played with more determination and were soon level through a cracking header from Derek Pickin the keeper would of saved it from any where else but where it looped over him he just couldn't we then went 3-2 up through another Pickin goal before youngster Ashleigh Bingham put us 4-2 to the good . With 45 mins up st just pulled one back and then with 51 mins on the clock where from I'm not sure  our young left back conceded a pen which was slotted home perfectly considering the pitch. Final whistle 4-4 and I would of took that going there even if it was given away with two late goals . Up to 16 th for now and so high up the table?? ps many thanks to st just no 2 for throwing mud in my eye and face  on purpose before he took a throw I've now decided to go with the misses for a few mud facials?? man of the match Holmans 12 players respectful honest and hard working. 

Marksy I can't wait to play against you/holmans next year, who every year when we seem to play against them, they all seem to be a top bunch of lads and every single year we all seem to get on fine. And it's only 3 times in the last ten years we've had a problem, and it seems strange you've been involved each time, "just saying". 

Anyway, can't wait to see you at holmans next year unless your loyalty changes (again) and you move on to ventures new?!?!. It's such a shame too hear you moan for every single tackle made by an opposition player or whinge when one of your players breaks a nail or drops a tampon, especially for someone that from the side line promises so much. 

your lad, who is a cracking player to be honest, (possibly one of the better youngsters around, if not thee best in the league)  needs to break away so he doesn't have you fighting his battles. 

I know from experience and it'd be the best thing he does. 

All the best to holmans for the future 

Perfect reply bully boy . Fancy telling your own father to F off plus more but not fit for a forum . Just like last week you cause aggro and this week you smashed three 18 year olds but quiet as a mouse after.  as for my son he don't need me to fight his battles he won all day today even your own supporters said that but you took great pleasure in stamping on him and telling me that's your son ain't it with a smile on your face , your a bully Neil end of.  Finally had to laugh after I never shook your hand you called me a fat c ??? last time I saw you you weren't 18 stone no wonder your at the back now ???your turn ?????

1 hour ago, slugger said:

Every team needs a Neil curnow type player ! So wat if he bullys opposition, bully him bk and get on with it ! ...Senior football !

Slugger you are right but in the proper way. However i try not to tell young players to go out and, stamp on them lads it kind of deters away from ( if you could pass and then move etc etc......Senior football........ wat......... sorry i mean what.:yahoo:

Sounds like i missed a cracker at St Just!!! 

Applaud the passion lads but question the need to vent it on here? Save it for the 90min during the match forget about it and move on. Lafrowda Park is always a hard place to go to and Steve once said to me he liked playing us before we got relegated last time as it was 3 points guaranteed. Over the years we have had a few close games so in context a good result for the visitors but i'm sure St Just will bounce back next week.

Hopefully the young side at Holmans are starting to surprise a few people and we will have the opportunity to visit Lafrowda again next season after the 3 million evening games and all the fun that brings!!!

9 hours ago, slugger said:

Every team needs a Neil curnow type player ! So wat if he bullys opposition, bully him bk and get on with it ! ...Senior football !

I totally agree, I wouldn't say Neil is a dirty player, just hard and goes about his business, I like the way St Just play, reminds me of back home. They play a direct style and compete for everything and don't mind mixing it up (refreshing in a league full of wannabees wearing fancy boots), don't be fooled they can also play football but work to their strengths. 

If I could play for anyone else in the league apart from Culdrose it would be for Steve Curnow over at St Just.

Only a Northerner would describe long ball Football as refreshing! You poor, unfortunate soul. 

The irony being a Cornishman actually conceptualized the idea of long ball Football after taking down some pretty basic stats and concluding more goals would be scored the more often the ball entered the opposition box. Charles Reep for anyone interested.

On 3/6/2016 at 18:41, a little bit of a dinho said:

Only a Northerner would describe long ball Football as refreshing! You poor, unfortunate soul. 

The irony being a Cornishman actually conceptualized the idea of long ball Football after taking down some pretty basic stats and concluding more goals would be scored the more often the ball entered the opposition box. Charles Reep for anyone interested.

This season to see and play any type of football is refreshing be it long, short or in your face.

What is wrong with the long ball game, Perranwell were one of the better clubs in the Combo never finishing below 6th playing that style of football under Dave Fisher.

10 hours ago, Keith B said:

Meaning ?

This must be said in someones dressing room every Saturday Mauler.

What this means is that, (although the natives will give you a warm welcome at St Just), a physical battle on the pitch will be the order of the day.

This being the case, some regular playing members of the opposing/your team may be curiously other wised engaged for this particular fixture. eg; they will home washing their hair, cant play because they have got an ingrowing toenail, gone out shopping, pulled a hamstring etc etc

Hence, 'the bare eleven quote'

Not a bare naked team.............. a team 'bare' on numbers.

These players who cant make the St Just away fixture will then be readily available the next week, all refreshed, when you play Marazion home or Falmouth away .The poor sods that played at Lafrowda the previous week, however, can barely walk, let alone run .

I can remember on numerous occasions being in the away dressing hovel room at St Just when the manager comes in and says 'we've got the bare eleven' (players). The eleven being made up with some teenager that they have picked up off the street who is about  7 st dripping wet .

Your heart sinks at the thought of this same teenager going out and meeting Randall 'the butcher' in an early 50/50 on a cold, wet January, not to mention the lack of decent earthing wire in the shower, when the poor sod tries to turn the heat up after the game to clean off all the mud and mostly blood from his battered body.

Any player that has played against St Just regularly over the years will tell you the same.

Horses for courses I would say , I use to love a good physical game but stamping is a bit of a cowards trait in my book 

Can remember playing St Just away many seasons ago when Steve Roscoe first took over at Illogan , they were knocking long balls forward and myself and my colleague at Centre half were dealing with the ariel bombardment with ease , then their manager told one of their forwards to elbow me in the face if i won another header , to which i replied"if he does i wont take it out on him , but i will walk off the field and give you a good pasting ", to which their manager replied" good answer " . enjoyed the banter and a beer afterwards 

Everyone knows that when you play against St Just you will always get a physical battle. Sometime they overstep the mark. But every team plays in a way they seem fit or suits them.

It's one of my favourite games each season playing St Just. I've taken a few whacks down there but no matter how hard always get up and have a beer and a laugh after the game. Great guys off the pitch! 

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Mmmm - can't understand what's gone wrong with the showers. We renewed the shower fittings in both the home and away changing rooms in around 2012 ish - surely they can't have gone wrong that quick - maybe they have - so come on guys get them sorted ! 

Im talking about the early 1990s Keith, a couple of years after electricity was initially introduced to St Just!

I have to agree... St Just is always a hard pace to go, and you know what you are going to get.. a hard fought physical battle and if you come away with any points you certainly have had to earn them - Off the field very welcoming and always up for a chat but when you enter the field of play ... thats a different story.

Although they certainly are not the only team in the league who ruff opponents ( stamping slightly different i know) up but nothing much gets said about them??