Cornwall Football Forum

Info on Jim Barrett

Guest Brett Anderson

Guest Brett Anderson

A thoroughly decent chap called Jim Barrett has been coaching lads in the Newton Abbot area for several years. I am told he played a lot of his football in Cornwall. Who did he play for, and more importantly.....................was he any good?

Jim Barrett that I know fits your description, works for Sport England Regional Office in Somerset, we're always talking about footy when I bump into him, in fact have a meeting with him tomorrow (Monday 29th) if anyone wants to pass oin their best wishes to him, let me know, happy to do so. He is still playing when he can, for Newton Abbot thirds I think!

Guest Jim Barrett

I'm grateful to Stuart Dudley for drawing my attention to the bits on me on the forum and for the flattering remarks from Pacific - we MUST get in touch whoever you are (I'm intrigued!). Yes - I've reached my half century this year.

My playing history was Plymouth YMCA in the old PYC League ( a great team), Argyle (Youth, SWL & Reserves), Liskeard Athletic (double winners), Bodmin Town (a fruitful goalscoring partnership with the legendary Ricky Cardew), Truro City (didn't have the budget they have now), Millbrook (very briefly), Dartington (now Totnes & Dartington) and for quite a few years Newton Abbot.

Been coaching youngsters (including my two sons, Matt & Tom) for 10 years and just taken Newton Abbot's Under 16s into adult football. Made a few substitute appearances when we've been short, but so far the magic hasn't returned. I also help coach Buckland Athletic's Under 15s (Tom's team).

Many happy memories of playing throughout Cornwall and of many talented players.

Love to hear from former team mates, opponents or officials. My love of football is as strong as ever and anyone who has anything to do with helping people participate in the game has my respect.

Jim Barrett

Ah ha, I was right then .... ex-Liskeard player. If my memory serves me right, there were two of you that came from Argyle together, but I'm struggling with the other name .... was it "something" Walker?

Also Jim , you mention a few names from your SWL days ... have you seen my earlier post about letting me have some suggestions as your SWL characters/memories. Send me some if you like - davedeacs@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Barrett

The player who joined Liskeard Athletic with me from Argyle in 1976 was BRIAN Walker. Brian was a very fine right winger. He stayed with them the next season when I joined Bodmin Town. Brian later played for Ivybridge Town but I lost contact with him years ago. Would be great to hear from him again.

Player-Manager Richard Dingle persuaded me to join Bodmin. Having played against him a few times - he was an excellent if somewhat uncompromising centre-half - I decided that I would prefer to be on his side rather than against him. I think it was something to do with personal safety.

Dingers was a great player and a real character. We both joined Tony Roberts' Truro City team the next season. I persuaded him to play one more season before retiring when Dingers played with me again at Newton Abbot some years later.

If you're out there Dingers, please get in touch.