Cornwall Football Forum

Mining League in the early 1980s

Whilst doing research, it’s interesting to see clubs that are no longer around. More so for as people get older and the younger generation see some of the clubs that were around maybe in their parents or even their grandparents’ day.  I’ve listed a few from the Mining League in the early 1980s. As there a probably a few people on here who might have played against them, I was wondering if anyone could help as to where some clubs were based or where they played.

‘A’ Division Police - Park Road, Camborne?

Barclays Bank

Barripper

Camborne Plough

Camborne SoM – still around but played where?

HeathcoatsSC – Roskear (behind Camborne Cricket Club)

Malabar – somewhere out in Baldhu

Pengegon – Park Road, Camborne

Russell Hall

St Erth – somewhere between St Erth and Marazion

Treliske – current hospital car park

Trevu

St Erth

Take the back road from St Erth to Marazion, Tredrea Lane. After three quarters of a mile, turning on left called Long Lane. Along there for 200yds, bit of a laybye/car park on your right. Pull in there. Two gates, Left hand one is the field they used. On Google maps it is first ploughed field on right on Long Lanes.

A Division Police - Park Road,Camborne

Barclays Bank - Clijah,i think.

Barripper - Barripper playing field

Camborne Plough - can't remember

Camborne SOM - Cornwall College (where West Cornwall now play but there was a steep slope on the field in those days)

Malabar - Baldhu and Boscawen Park,Truro

Russell Hall - In field on road between Connor Downs and Carnhell Green,on left hand side after the rail crossing

Trevu - Camborne School close to the rugby ground.

25 minutes ago, Soccer Follower said:

A Division Police - Park Road,Camborne

Barclays Bank - Clijah,i think.

Barripper - Barripper playing field

Camborne Plough - can't remember

Camborne SOM - Cornwall College (where West Cornwall now play but there was a steep slope on the field in those days)

Malabar - Baldhu and Boscawen Park,Truro

Russell Hall - In field on road between Connor Downs and Carnhell Green,on left hand side after the rail crossing

Trevu - Camborne School close to the rugby ground.

did you use to play nigel ?

Soccer Follower, are there any traces of the Russell Hall and Barripper grounds?

Raymond Rovers in the 1990s I believe played in a pitch off Druids Road

Geachy, he was quite the player for Goonhavern and Chacewater. I believe when playing for the latter they won the league against St Agnes then lost the game at Barripper!

Barripper used to play at the village playing field, outside of the boundary of the cricket club,,,  The field itself was left to the village for recreation only, so is still there !

32 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Soccer Follower, are there any traces of the Russell Hall and Barripper grounds?

Raymond Rovers in the 1990s I believe played in a pitch off Druids Road

Geachy, he was quite the player for Goonhavern and Chacewater. I believe when playing for the latter they won the league against St Agnes then lost the game at Barripper!

12 hours ago, Halfback said:

Barripper used to play at the village playing field, outside of the boundary of the cricket club,,,  The field itself was left to the village for recreation only, so is still there !

Willow Tree,the football pitch at Barripper was at the top end of the cricket pitch and changing facilities were what was formerly a wooden chicken shed (I don't remember a floor in the shed!).

As regards the Russell Hall pitch I don't think there is a trace of their ground now,

I think Raymond Rovers played at the top of Raymond Road in Redruth.

I believe Raymond Rovers moved to Raymond Road but the team photo that appeared in the local rag stated their pitch was at the bottom of Carn Brea, off Druids Road and the hill is right behind them.

25 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

I believe Raymond Rovers moved to Raymond Road but the team photo that appeared in the local rag stated their pitch was at the bottom of Carn Brea, off Druids Road and the hill is right behind them.

There were one or two pitches laid out by the Council along that track but I think have grown over again now.Castle United played there too,i think.

7 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

How about, Harris United F C  (Redruth) -didn't they use the Pig slaughterhouse for changing

A most daunting place to play when involved  with Camborne Youth club in 1964 was Parbola Farm the home of Carnhell Green F C -a scary fixture in those days lol

Yes Mike , your quite right, I can remember changing in the Pig slaughterhouse , looking back the years, i seem to remember most junior teams didn't have anywhere to change, Many a game trying to clean the mud off in a farmers hedge, or 4 or 5 players trying to do the same out of the boot of a car  ,, good happy days,, discussing who we were playing next week, then we could do it all over again,,, lol

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

No,Carnon Downs played on a farmer's field down a lane on the Falmouth side of the village (somewhere where the by-pass is located now)

Troon did play on the sloping pitch in front of the Grenville Estate and also had a pitch a bit further up the road on the same side (near a garage?)

Great memory you've got Nigel, your like the oracle of junior Football. you're spot on with what i can remember of that carnon downs pitch, think i was probably only a nipper when they were in the league. I went to a lot of Chacewater games with my brother John back then and you were more than likey playing along side him in a strong back four.

1 hour ago, Ron Manager said:

Great memory you've got Nigel, your like the oracle of junior Football. you're spot on with what i can remember of that carnon downs pitch, think i was probably only a nipper when they were in the league. I went to a lot of Chacewater games with my brother John back then and you were more than likey playing along side him in a strong back four.

I loved playing alongside John,great character Phil.

Do you remember his blue morris 1000 van, it stank of fish! you needed a strong stomach to ride in the back!!!!

Nigel, do you remember if Truro Hendra or Truro Athletic were in the mining league? I remember playing a game at Hendra Park once but looking at it now i cant see how they fitted a pitch in. Could of been a friendly?

Trispen, before they played at castle fields used to play down past the old school in a field on a sharp left hand bend. sometimes they had to shoo the sheep or cows off the pitch before the start.

3 minutes ago, Ron Manager said:

Nigel, do you remember if Truro Hendra or Truro Athletic were in the mining league? I remember playing a game at Hendra Park once but looking at it now i cant see how they fitted a pitch in. Could of been a friendly?

Trispen, before they played at castle fields used to play down past the old school in a field on a sharp left hand bend. sometimes they had to shoo the sheep or cows off the pitch before the start.

Truro Athletic were in the Mining League I think Phil,as were Truro Boys ClubmTrelander and Daniell Arms all playing at Boscawen Park.Truro Hendra may have been in the Falmouth-Helsyon League Phil.

That Trispen pitch was massive and it is where they first played.They then played at the holiday park off Scotland Road in Rejerrah for a while.

I remember seeing Truro Hendra playing at Pool Sports Club quite regularly-I know Pool played most of their time in the Famouth Helston League.

The Hendra goal keeper was the father of Dennis Annear (gk) and I am sure his sister married the late Peter Mankee the keeper of Pool.

Also Cornwall Junior Cup was played in very local groups in those days.

9 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Truro Athletic were in the Mining League I think Phil,as were Truro Boys ClubmTrelander and Daniell Arms all playing at Boscawen Park.Truro Hendra may have been in the Falmouth-Helsyon League Phil.

That Trispen pitch was massive and it is where they first played.They then played at the holiday park off Scotland Road in Rejerrah for a while.

Would that be Monkey Tree?

Truro Athletic went through Mining 2 and Mining 1 Leagues before going into Falmouth and Helston League. They did play at Boscawen Park mostly and at Threemilestone for 1season I believe.

They were a continuation of Truro Boys Club team Approx1971/2. Some went on to play for Truro City when fInances dictated an all local team.

Some are still about although not playing sadly.

22 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:08, Soccer Follower said:

Nigel,,, I do believe Truro Hendra were in the Mining League before joining the Falmouth- Helston. I seem to remember playing them, ( you were prob still in nappies ) lol ,,,

Damn, Truro Boys Club,,, must of played against em half a dozen times for Camborne Plough,,, NEVER beat them ,,,,,I can only remember two of there players, Ray Smith who played center back and his brother Bernie played center forward, I could only recognize Bernie from his back,,, as he ran past me ,,lol,,,

Bernie in Germany, Ray in Cheshire still back to Cornwall often. Some other names, Steve Tabb, Steve Williams, Hadyn Jose, 

Andrew Allen, Des Coad, Barry Medlin Gk Peter Childs Gk, Trevor Thomas, Dixie Devlin, Peter Hunt, Manager Phil Turner.

A few missing

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 00:00, Razor said:

Bernie in Germany, Ray in Cheshire still back to Cornwall often. Some other names, Steve Tabb, Steve Williams, Hadyn Jose, 

Andrew Allen, Des Coad, Barry Medlin Gk Peter Childs Gk, Trevor Thomas, Dixie Devlin, Peter Hunt, Manager Phil Turner.

A few missing

Some very useful players in that squad.

8 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:
8 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

On 18 February 2016 at 22:00, Razor said:

A few missing

What about "Joey" Randall - would he have been around then?

On 18 February 2016 at 22:00, Razor said:

A few missing

Some players

Truro City Combo players 1980/81

Dave Casley, Dave Jull, Doug Davey, Andrew Allen, Dixie Devlin, Haydn Jose, John Hawke, Steve Annear, Ian Collings, Tommy Osborne, Ray Rice, Harold Richards, Barry Medlin, Graham Spittey, Brian Trethewey, Colin Whitfeld, Steve Tabb, Bernie Smith, Joey Randall, Ray Smith, Chris Webb, Malcolm Penrose, David Webb, Howard Stokes.

1981/82

Andrew Allen, Mike Best, Graham Cowls, Dave Collins, Chris Allen, Mark Jarvis, Haydn Jose, John Hawke, Brian Dyer, Des Coad, Clive Jones, Kevin King, Barry Medlin, Kelvin Magee, Chris Webb, Nigel Oates, Steve Williams, Mike Trethewey, ? Underwood, Lionel Mewton, Russell(?) Trethewey, Peter (PJ) Rowe, Tommy Osborne, Philip Mitchell, Joey Randall, Malcolm Penrose, Bernie Smith, Howard Stokes

1982/83

Martin Bunt, Peter Child, Tony Ellul, Dave Collins, Des Coad, Kevin King, Andrew Allen, Doug Davey, Ken Coad, Shaun Gilbert. Derek Hawke, Brian Dyer, Nigel Kellow, Clive Jones, Haydn Jose, Peter Hunt, Kevin Roberts, Barry Medlin, Barry Philpott, Bobby Wignall, Steve Wicks, Andrew Tilsley, Kevin Rowe, Peter Philp, Joey Randall, Mike Trethewey, Steve Tabb, Kelvin Magee, Mark Rapsey, Steve Williams, Bernie Smith

1983/84

Keith Abbott, Chris Carhart, Des Coad, Andrew Allen, Dave Deacon, Doug Davey, Kevin King, Brian Dyer, John Hawke, Haydn Jose, Clive Jones, Dave Collins, Steve Gribble, Gary Pascoe, Bobby Wignall, Joey Randall, Mike Trethewey, Brian Trethewey, Kevin Tucker, Ray Smith, Bernie Smith, John Tyack, Howard Stokes, Steve Williams, Roger Tonkin, Tony Webb, Steve Tabb

1984/85

Keith Abbott, Mark Beel, Lance Lannon, Doug Davey, Gerald , Dave Deacon, Kevin King, Chris Coleman, Andy Keast, Steve Champion, Peter Hunt, Dave Collins, Clive Jones, Des Coad, John Hawke, Martin Butler, Haydn Jose, Bobby Wignall, Tony Paddock, Joey Randall, Mark Rapsey, Jim Tregellas, Kevin Tucker, Russell Trethewey, Phil Webster, Roger Tonkin, Johnny Verran, Steve Prosser, Tony Penrose

The lists aren't definitive, just names from the papers and hence some might be spelt wrong

Great memories and names there mate!! Had my first Combo game for City at Marazion aged 14. Was shitting myself but people like Andy Allen, Des Coad, and Steve Williams were great blokes who said just enjoy yourself. Tough old league back in those days!!! Love the memories. ⚽️? Great post.

I hope you'll excuse me from making a comment on a league that I know nothing about  BUT !!     One interesting  thing that I noticed in this post  was a throwback to the past that young players will possibly never see again  . That is Police A and Barclays Bank  . How many companies or organisations now field teams in any of your leagues ?  . Up until  the mid nineties there was a 36 team Thursday league ( 3 divisions  )  in the Norwich area consisting of 7 police teams , 2 hospitals , 2 prisons , 4 post offices , 3 Fire Brigades , 3 colleges ,British Rail , Electricity Board ,several factories and a team from Yarmouth fairground that included Martin Peters , Phil Boyer and 2 or 3 other ex Norwich City players  . It seemed to fold pretty quickly  in the end but had run since the early 1900's  in fact it was so well known that a history of it was published last year and has sold thousands of copies . The point I'm making is that it shows how times have changed , I'm sure that there was a similar situation in Devon and Cornwall where companies and organisations like the Police and Post Office were only too pleased to provide staff with time off or  "juggled " shifts in order to represent them at sport .Ironically large stores opening all weekend  are now one of the reasons why  football is losing players  because of the volume of young people they employ , but very rarely do you see them field sports teams . It's all very sad really . 

Interesting post by Fenman. I recall Devon and Cornwall Police in the SWL at some point? Please correct me if I am wrong. Also who were Louis International who I believe were a Plymouth team.

Good call. Then you could have Falmouth GPO, RNAS Culdrose, RAF St Mawgan, Truro GWRSA (?), Taylors (Truro), Lockwood MT (?), Goonhilly, OMT Helston (?), Heathcoats, Centrepoint, Safeway (Helston), Tesco (Truro), Blue Arrow. Some of those are ex Falmouth-Helston League clubs and might not be works firms.

Some clubs named after sponsors include Drawbar Club, Spice Of Life, Robartes Arms, White Hart/Macnamaras/Tyacks etc

Before the days of Newlyn Lions and Newlyn Non-Athletico, I recall another team who played further up The Coombe. Was this team called Trelawny FC? Not sure how long they lasted but I seem to remember them winning a few promotions. Any memories of this team would be interesting to read.

You are probably right on that Willow. The pitch rings a bell now as Soccer Follower says. Good team while it lasted. Not sure why they folded.

Trelawny played on a field at the junction of the A30 with the road to Newlyn Coombe.Had some good players during their existence.

For someone not to familiar with Penzance, is the basically just up the road as you turn left onto the Newlyn Coombe road?