Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Torpoint

Guest Peppermint

A good game that ebbed and flowed and this was an encouraging performance by the Peppermints against a Torpoint team that are flying high in the Premier League. Newquay certainly had to hold on in the last ten minutes when Martyn Lentern was sent off[ a little harsh I thought after the referee missed an incident in the Torpoint half late on]. At least Newquay can look forward to the draw for the next round.

I agree with You Peppermint,it was a good game played in the right spirt,I thought the referee had a good game up to the dismisal ,which I thought was harsh, as Martin was obviously trying to get out of the way when Torpoint took a quick free kick which hit him and resulted in the booking.

Newquays new forward looks an assett

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

2-1 to Division One !

Nice to see a fair few fans make the journey from Torpoint, hope the detour on the way home didn't take you too far out of your way. Many thanks to Paul Whitworth for helping me out last night.

If sky sports had covered the match, the stats would have read 50/50 possession but the visitors created far more chances, which were either wasted or dealt with by the steadfast defence. Pieter Van Smokindespliff scored two seckshi goals and has made his return to Mount Wise a positive one.

One of the more cynical Newquay fans made a comment about Torpoints tactics. Twice when Newquay had robbed them of the ball and set up an attack, the visiting player who had lost the ball went down seemingly injured, the ref called both incidents back for a drop ball, only for the Torpoint player to almost leap to his feet - nice way of stopping the opposition from scoring.

The free kick incident in which Martin received his first booking was plain stupidity on the refs part but Torpoint took advantage of his lack of common sense. The ref awards a free kick, centre circle and the away attacker places the ball on the ground and kicks it immediatey at Martin who could not have possibly have retreated 10 yards in 1 second. The cynic points out, that the attacker did this knowing the ref would book him. Martin was later given a 2nd yellow for an innoculous challenge.

My view, a hard fought victory over the high flying visitors, not pretty and at times not very good, yet there were moments that were sublime - a real nail biter that Torpoint could have taken to extra time. Great result watced by the Wadebridge secretary whom we play on Saturday.

HELLO MR HISCOX !

Guess what ? you are about to get some more stick, even if you are hiding on he SWPL forum, we know you will still read this. Players from Div 1 East/West who are booked sent off are dealt with by the relative County FA, where a red can mean a 35 day ban. However, in the much favoured Premier, such matters are dealt with by The FA at Soho Square where a serious red would get just a 3 match ban - spot the difference ? Now tell me that the Div 1 sides are not treated the same or as fairly as thos in the much vaunted Premier Div.

Just a reminder, it was 2-1 to Division One !

Guess what ? you are about to get some more stick, even if you are hiding on he SWPL forum, we know you will still read this. Players from Div 1 East/West who are booked sent off are dealt with by the relative County FA, where a red can mean a 35 day ban. However, in the much favoured Premier, such matters are dealt with by The FA at Soho Square where a serious red would get just a 3 match ban - spot the difference ? Now tell me that the Div 1 sides are not treated the same or as fairly as thos in the much vaunted Premier Div.

Dear oh dear Judge, you really dont know the rules of the game. Its only when you get to step 6 that the rules change ALL over England (inc Cornwall). Those players red carded at DivI level could get a 14 day ban in the winter and actually not miss a game at all. if their club doesn't play. The Premier player has to wait for his club to play two games,if that is the ban, no matter how long it takes, during that time, it could take up to a month, he is unable to play for anyone else. Stick to match reporting I can understand the bias on that. :yahoo:

Mark,

Enjoyable night, apart from the result. As you rightly mention the last fifteen was a constant blitz on the home goal and I still don't know how an equilizer, if not a winner, didn't happen. Hey thats footy, and all credit to Newquay, two well taken goals.

The detour wasn't too bad apart from following a 20mph driver across the moor.

PS I wont tell anyone about the telescope you haven't been able to use for 6 months because it wasn't working.

Used all my engineering skill last night.

Took the lens cap off........fixed :clapper::D:clapper: :drink:

PS I wont tell anyone about the telescope you haven't been able to use for 6 months because it wasn't working.

Used all my engineering skill last night.

Took the lens cap off........fixed

We were joking about him looking in the wrong end, seems we weren't too wrong :lol:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Distant wrote - Dear oh dear Judge, you really dont know the rules of the game. Its only when you get to step 6 that the rules change ALL over England (inc Cornwall). Those players red carded at DivI level could get a 14 day ban in the winter and actually not miss a game at all. if their club doesn't play. The Premier player has to wait for his club to play two games,if that is the ban, no matter how long it takes, during that time, it could take up to a month, he is unable to play for anyone else. Stick to match reporting I can understand the bias on that.

I accept that the rules apply across the country, BUT and it is a BIG BUT, why should 2 teams playing in the same competition have differing rules applied to the same offence. These differences were NOT explained by The SWPL (or County FA) prior to the inception of the league, just like the FA Cup situation. Mr Hiscox wrote that as the SWPL do not recognise the Charity Cup, a match suspension may not be used up in that match - what happens if a player from Torpoint had been sent off in that match, would the suspension count in the SWPL ? Obviously, it is different for Newquay as Martyn Lentern will be dealt with by the County FA and whatever days he gets banned for applies to all competitions/Leagues.

Of course, you could turn it around and say that a Prem player gets a 3 match ban but is injured and effectively misses no games. A Div 1 player gets 35 days and could miss as many as 10 matches in April/May due to winter fixtures being postponed - still a big difference in favour of the so called higher league.

Judge, why is everything Phil Hiscox's fault? Every Club was provided with copies of the proposed rules of the Peninsula League well in advance of the AGM, so that those who needed to know had all the information. You can't blame Phil if some people either did not read them or failed to pass on details to others within their Club (I seem to recall that you were orchestrating some sort of "revolution" at Newquay about the time you could have been reading the new rules!)

Incidentally, I was aware that Step 7 Clubs would not be allowed entry to the FA Cup and so didn't apply. After the closing date for applications had passed, I had a phone call from the Competitions Dept. asking why Penzance had not entered: I explained what I'd previously been told about Step 7 Clubs but was informed this is not necessarily written in stone and that we were welcome to apply even though the deadline had passed: so I did and we didn't get in!!

Sorry the above has nothing at all to do with this thread! Well done to Newquay though.