8) Johnny Ludlam (Ludgvan)

9) Wade Brown ( Mousehole)

10) Jack Rapsey (Wadebridge)

11) Mark Vercesi ( Mousehole)

17) Mark George (St.Buryan)

S) Dominic Pullen (Perranwell)

S) Nigel Brabyn (Perranwell)

Edited by RAPPO

Lovely sunny day at Lafrowda Park, bit windy but nice day for it. Penwith legend and manager Nick George went for a mixture of South Western league and Combo league players along with brother Mark who has scored plenty of goals in both leagues over the years. St.Just manager Steve Curnow had a decent side out including the majority of his Combo 1st team on the back of their superb 8-1 win over Perranporth on Saturday. He had his lively front pairing of Ashley Ellis and Jack Willis, and plenty of experience especially at the back with Neil Curnow, John Bird, Ben Way, and Andrew Curnow turning out. One name to look out for is young Toby??? (Just wish I knew it!!!) who scored a couple of nice finishes when the game was stretched out in the last quarter hour. Absolute pleasure to watch Quinnys left peg just drop balls on a sixpence whether it's a ten yard pass or a fifty yard one it's right where it should be!! Pure class. Mark Cheesy Vercesi is still one of the county's top players in my opinion, popping up everywhere with great quality on the ball still. Johnny Luds and Frazer Cads completed a very talented midfield three. The Saints somehow went in ahead at half time through a Willis tap in after Lello had done well to save his first effort. The X1 got back into it straight after the restart when half time sub Dominic Pullen was fouled in the area and got up to convert the penalty within two minutes of coming on although keeper Calab Marsden was unlucky getting a strong hand on the ball. Some Quinny and Cheesy magic produced an undefendable (is that a word??) cross which the popular James Silky Street smashed home at the far post after 55 minutes. Four minutes later 16 year old Jack Rapsey got on the scoresheet after missing a few earlier half chances when he curled the ball into the far corner from 15 yards. Cheesys sublime chip just after was tipped over by Marsden before the young Saint Toby looked absolutely miles offside but ran through to coolly slot home, I think the linesman might have been having a piss in the hedge at the time!? I know I did!! ? . Minutes later Rapsey sent over a pinpoint cross from the right wing for Pullen to powerfully head home at the far post before Toby pulled another nice goal back cutting inside from the left and shooting home at Lellos near post. Wade Brown made a strong run down the left after Quinny dropped another inch perfect pass in his path and cut in but Marsden made a great save to somehow deny him a goal on the day but Rapsey followed up to score from 8 yards squeezing the ball between two defenders on the line. Enjoyable game to watch and some funny good natured banter between the Select X1 lads!! Game played in great spirits, roll on next year.    ⚽️?

Edited by RAPPO

• 5 weeks later...

Glad to hear this fixture still takes place...for many year Argyle used to send teams down for this...I did have until necessity meant I flogged it a programme for one of the games in the fifties and would love to know of anyone who has copies of any they could scan and send from any of the following seasons

77/869/7067/866/763/462/360/159/6058/957/856/755/6
51/250/149/5048/9 ( May)48/9 ( Nov)

47/8

Much appreciated

Peter ( excel seems to have messed up the format!)

Some early Feast day games were against the opposition that played at Argyle on the Saturday.

I remember seeing Crewe Alexandra managed by Jimmy Melia playing in the early 80's- I sold the programme to a collector in Crewe for £18 but i might have a photocopy

Edited by Mike Odgers