Cornwall Football Forum

County Youth to cross the Tamar this Saturday

Dave Deacon

Yes, the Cornwall County Youth are in action again on Saturday.

This time they have to travel, but only across the Tamar, as they take on neighbours Devon in the opening group match of their South West Counties Championship.

The game takes place at Coach Road, Newton Abbot, the home of the Devon FA, with a 2pm kick-off.

The season started well with a 1-0 home win over Guernsey in the FA County Youth Cup and new manager this season, Glynn Hooper, is looking forward to this game despite having a few injuries to worry about.

From the original squad named, the clubs represented looked like this:-

CAMELFORD : Jack Farbrother, Charlie Hambly, James Heywood

FALMOUTH TOWN : Harry Clarke, Connor Rhodes, Luke Tripconey

GODOLPHIN ATLANTIC : Brodie Mitchell, Kieran Parker

HELSTON ATHLETIC : Ross Atkinson, Matt Buchan

MOUSEHOLE : Dom Angove

PENZANCE : Tyler Tonkin

STICKER : Daniel Marks

WADEBRIDGE TOWN : Harry Ahearn, George Roberts

PROBUS : Ed Harrison

HOLMAN SC : Kyle Marks

REDRUTH UNITED : Dario Pisano

UUNATTACHED : Will Trew

This time they have to travel, but only across the Tamar, as they take on neighbours Devon in the opening group match of their South West Counties Championship.

The game takes place at Coach Road, Newton Abbot, the home of the Devon FA, with a 2pm kick-off.

The season started well with a 1-0 home win over Guernsey in the FA County Youth Cup and new manager this season, Glynn Hooper, is looking forward to this game despite having a few injuries to worry about.

Having 3 or 4 players out of the Saturday club team does great harm to the club concerned. Why cant these matches be played midweek ?

Devon away, on a Tuesday or Wednesday seems fairly straight forward to me, a journey that most of those players and clubs would make on several occasions during the season. I don't see why the county cannot use common sense and do the same. Easing the burden on clubs   and potentially increasing the attendance, making the game more of an event, under lights with more spectators

Devon away, on a Tuesday or Wednesday seems fairly straight forward to me, a journey that most of those players and clubs would make on several occasions during the season. I don't see why the county cannot use common sense and do the same. Easing the burden on clubs   and potentially increasing the attendance, making the game more of an event, under lights with more spectators

Exactly my feelings. Clubs need a constant supply of spectators to watch their regular line up. No doubt Mr. Deacon will once again disagree because I made the observation !

There's also the issue of safeguarding. U-18 boys getting back on a bus late at night hoping someone is there to collect them is just one of the things you have to consider. There is less risk at weekends with earlier kick offs. 

If you think that all these things are simple to organise they aren't and now made more difficult by the step system that won't allow clubs to postpone games. 

Maybe we should look at the bigger picture which gives these talented lads a chance to get real top quality coaching and big game experience every few weeks and be a more rounded and better player when they get back to their clubs?

Look long term and ask yourself would you have liked to play in these games if you were that age again, and how would these players get this experience if they can't play these in these matches?

I totally understand the club issue with playing Saturday's, however this weekend I don't actually think any of the clubs who have two or more players are actually playing - except Camelford and their players are predominantly 'reserve team' and they could of postponed if required (which they did last game).

By playing on Saturday it has also allowed Glynn to get the squad together at 9am, travel together and have lunch and a good pre game session before the game - making the experience that much better. 

A lot of the lads play football for colleges mid week and several who play SWPL play most midweeks so whenever the County game there is likely to be clashes - we all just need to support these lads and the clubs will benefit long term.