Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town no longer managerless as replacement named!

Shame to see this happen at a big club but I did predict this a few weeks ago. A big name needs to come in and give the playing staff a complete overhaul. Too many players making decisions at the once great club.

A "big name" would probably require a little bit of financial backing though, something probably that Falmouth couldn't provide at the moment.

I'd be curious to know who would be regarded as a "big name" anyway?

Surely can't be Paul Murray. He left Wendron as he could travel in the west league, the premier would be a step too far again. Also, who could he attract? He's a very good lower league manager but his players couldn't handle the premier. 

Carey for me. He'd help clear out the dead wood and bring in quality.

Have just read from another post on the forum, that the population of Falmouth is over 22,000.  The last time i watched a game at Falmouth was versus Saltash , last season. The attendance was possibly around 50. That is around .25% of the population of Falmouth!!! 

On that basis, Falmouth as a town are NOT interested in local football, FACT.  But Falmouth are not alone in attracting poor attendances.

Edited by pastyman

The man i would like to see take Falmouth forward would be Tommy Mathews. An ex player with enormous respect in cornish football, money or no money surely he could attract the type of players Falmouth need to compete at the other end of the table.

Maybe he's to busy or not interested in managing in the swpl. He post's on here quite a bit so maybe he could answer that?

I love watching games at Bickland, but most i've seen over the last few seasons have unfortunately been hard work for the home side. Would be great to see them challenging again.

Have just read from another post on the forum, that the population of Falmouth is over 22,000.  The last time i watched a game at Falmouth was versus Saltash , last season. The attendance was possibly around 50. That is around .25% of the population of Falmouth!!! 

On that basis, Falmouth as a town are NOT interested in local football, FACT.  But Falmouth are not alone in attracting poor attendances.

​i used to go watch falmouth town every weekend home and away as a child in the mid to late 90s i remember there being a good crowd then.

the population of the falmouth area including penryn and surrounding villages such as mabe mawnan etc the population must be over 50,000  . shame, a town like falmouth should be at the top of the peninsula league.   if i ever win the euro millions i will be pumping a bit into falmouth 

Edited by GEACH1

Bring back suZie chow she will wip everyone into shape. 

Thank you for your comment but My time is done and contrary to everyone being toldI left because I was moving away simply isn't the case. I left because it was no longer tenable for me to be there. I put my heart and soul into the club when others walked away and I will always love the club and the majority of people I have had the pleasure to work with.  

The club obviously needs to rise again and having 3 men's teams is great but the youth needs input (think Paul Murray is out of the equation for 1st team as he is managing an under 14s side at Fal Town ).  The club may see the return of a ladies team since  losing their very successful  one to Truro City because of a ridiculous decision by the club not to support them. 

In my opinion what is needed is a strong minded well organised local man who can engage with get respect from and bring in local players. 

The infrastructure at the club, without a committee does not lend itself to any sense of order and the ever depleting volunteers and supporters means a lot of work is done by very few. 

All this said I genuinely hope for the sake of Cornish Football that the right person is at the helm and soon. 

Gosh !  

​Maybe i'm wrong, care to elaborate?

I was goshing  at the topic not your post but with that said Tommy has heartfelt love for Falmouth Town, that he makes no secret of but he also has a huge responsibility delivering coaching courses for the FA and a very important role as Sports development officer at Falmouth School so I would imagine his busy schedule wouldn't be conducive to being able to devote the time as is necessary to running a first team at Falmouth.  I along with you would be delighted if he could. 

Some extremley strong views there from Suzie Chow. Seems like Cornwalls once Premier Club is in termoil On & Off the pitch? What was your role at the Club Suzie & who would you like to see take up the position? 

I held no grand titles just worked my rocks off for the last decade..... Manning the gate, scrubbing the stand, painting, cooking food, organising events, chairing the youth section, physioing, pulling pints, working closely with all personnel at the club and local people

i l feel that the small handful of supporters that are dedicated to watching Falmouth need to join forces and set up a committee so that Football matters are overseen and structured and that big decisions are not left  solely for a manager or indeed players to make.  

Without an ethos how can any club know what they are striving towards?

a first team manager should be instructed not given a licence to do whatever he wants with all aspects of football within the club. This is not a dig at Wayne Hughes. He did the best he could and it saw players return that had left for lower league clubs and unfortunately Wayne had nothing to go on in this respect because he had not been around to witness the damage some players had caused. From what I have been told our former goalkeeper Jason Peters was a target for players ruling the roost hence his move to St Austell.

i won't put a name to my choice of manager because although time is of the essence, any prospective manager needs to go in with his eyes wide open.

Hi Colin if my rants have encouraged just one person to make their first ever post that can only be a good thing.  Having only a chairman and a secretary that make up a committee it is not surprising you haven't been approached.  I pleaded for help on several occasions by way of advertising in the programme and on here to ill effect. Please contact the club and air your interest 

I was speaking at length with Graham Medlyn and others last week regarding the football club. Amongst other things discussed we realised the need for more volunteers within the club, people who wouldn't mind helping out in some way during the week or on match days. People who love the club and wouldn't mind spending a bit of time while they are watching the match selling some raffle tickets or helping out with hospitality etc. I'd love to think that there are those people out there who have never come forward because they've never been asked. Well now we're asking!

The club is in a tough period of transition right now, other clubs have been there and others may still have it to come, but Falmouth Town FC is not finished. With three adult mens' teams, a ladies team who have just joined the club and a newly formed U-14 team (perhaps even two) there are seeds of life for the future. There are things going on behind the scenes at present that lead me to believe that with the right support during this period of instability the future is very bright.

I'm not on the committee and I won't be the new manager as I have other commitments within my role as an FA Coach Educator but I am working behind the scenes to ensure that my club is still around for years to come.

I am proud to have played for Falmouth Town for 10 of the happiest years of my life and hope that some of those that enjoyed those times as well can help bring back that same enjoyment to the next cohort of players whoever they are. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, just out of loyalty to my club.

If you can spare some time to help your club, contact Wayne Pascoe and ask what you can do. Thank you.

Good luck to falmouth great place to play im sure some defensive training sessions from tommy matthews would help I  remember suzie doing endless jobs down there and also robbie stephens working pre season trying to get toilets/showers to meet cup standard.so theres 3commitee right there 

I think Gary Pascoe deserves to be given the nod. Need to sign a decent keeper now with the loss of Peters

Has Gary ever managed a team before? I know he is a very qualified coach, but any managerial experience? GK seems to be an issue.