Cornwall Football Forum

THOUGHTS ON ENGLAND

Coopsie

It has been confirmed that Sol Campbell will replace John Terry tomorrow and I was wondering whether you think that's the right decision OR should somebody else be given a shout?. Perhaps young Lescott?.

Also, do you think that Fat Frank will come back into the team OR should Gareth Barry rightly keep his place alongside Steven Gerrard?.

Owen and Rooney upfront?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Guest Helston Patriot

you cant play 3 at the back with cashley cole... he's not good enough of a defender and will be caught out! if you have to play with any 3 it HAS to be Sol, richards, (until terrys fit) Rio... SOLID!

Guest tom@white tigers

I think Lescott deserves a place but Campbell will bring huge expirence + he is playing well anyway. Rooney and Owen should play up front. I'd play Gareth Barry ahead of Frank Lampard due to his stunning performances last time out, he has grabbed his chance with both hands. The goalkeeping descion McLaren makes will be interesting!

i would go with campbell, he cant afford to take gamble on lescott, he has to play barry after what he did in previous matches, right wing going to be wright philips is it ????

Owen and rooney yes

robinson will def play all though i think he just needs break all together as it is all getting to him

rob in goal

richards,campbell, ferdinard, cole

wright philips, gerrard©, barry, cole

owen, rooney

iamthebest i think you just about hit the nail on the head. Campbell definately in for Terry and Gareth Barry must keep his place ahead of Frank. If not then Mclaren is a bigger arse then we all think. Looks like Owen may just have done enough for Newcastle to earn a start even though its freaky he can be playing so soon after an OP??? Also think England will never start three at the back. We are and have always been a 4-4-2 nation. Playing three just confuses everyone.

Versus Russia, It should be Robinson, richards,campbell, ferdinand, shorey, wright philips, gerrard, barry, cole, owen, rooney, no doubt he will find his way of playing fat frank and when he does I get closer to commiting suicide with these stupid decisions. I watch his goals and think another miss hit goes in I cant stick the guy,

when is lennon back ???

Not too sure when Lennon is back. As for your choice of team iamthebest, I agree that is what it should be BUT I see that it's more likely that Lescott will be at left back and nothing else will change.

I saw a statistic on SkySports News just now that said under Steve McClaren, England with fat Frank in the team have won 4, lost 4 and drawn 3. Without fat Frank in the team, England have played 4 WON 4...

You do the math but I'm fairly sure that statistic backs up why so many people are happier with Barry in the middle instead of Frank Lumpard.

Well firstly I think it's really harsh that Nicky Shorey has been overlooked in favor of what is esentially a centre back. Don't get me wrong, I think that with the form that Lescott is in, he deserves a shot at proving himself BUT why should he do that out of position?. Shorey is a pretty solid player and I think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth from McClueless when he'd rather play somebody out of position instead of giving shorey a chance. Atleast he's resisted that shower of shit Phil Neville though.

As for the result, I don't really want to say. I still don't think that Rooney & Owen works as a partnership and I think that goals may be hard to come by?. The lad Kerzhakov who plays upfront is a real handfull and I'm looking forward to watching their captain play. He plays on the left wing and apparantly Spurs are in talks with him and his agent.

I know I'm generally a doom & gloom merchant but I really think that England will have their work cut out if they are to get anything at all from the game. As I said, Goals will be hard to come by because Rooney & Owen doesn't work, apparantly in the last game, Wright Phillips had the ball 21 times and gave it away 19 times so the service could be a bit of a worry because we all know how Joe Cole likes to hold on to the ball a little too long at times.

Basically I think that England will do extremely well to get a draw, However, I think that it could well be a game we wish to forget?. Lets just hope I'm wrong like I was about Owen being past it and Heskey being recalled?.

Well firstly I think it's really harsh that Nicky Shorey has been overlooked in favor of what is esentially a centre back. Don't get me wrong, I think that with the form that Lescott is in, he deserves a shot at proving himself BUT why should he do that out of position?. Shorey is a pretty solid player and I think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth from McClueless when he'd rather play somebody out of position instead of giving shorey a chance. Atleast he's resisted that shower of shit Phil Neville though.

As for the result, I don't really want to say. I still don't think that Rooney & Owen works as a partnership and I think that goals may be hard to come by?. The lad Kerzhakov who plays upfront is a real handfull and I'm looking forward to watching their captain play. He plays on the left wing and apparantly Spurs are in talks with him and his agent.

I know I'm generally a doom & gloom merchant but I really think that England will have their work cut out if they are to get anything at all from the game. As I said, Goals will be hard to come by because Rooney & Owen doesn't work, apparantly in the last game, Wright Phillips had the ball 21 times and gave it away 19 times so the service could be a bit of a worry because we all know how Joe Cole likes to hold on to the ball a little too long at times.

Basically I think that England will do extremely well to get a draw, However, I think that it could well be a game we wish to forget?. Lets just hope I'm wrong like I was about Owen being past it and Heskey being recalled?.

----------------------------------

coopsie you speak more then sense then every england manager since 1966 !!!!!!may just be a game to forget

Forget what comment :D ..

I'm seriously not trying to be the grim reaper or anything. I just have a feeling that tomorrow may be a bit of a disappointment for many English fans?.

iamthebest, you've yet to put your ass on the line, what do you think the score will be mate?.

I must admit I think Russia may cause a upset as they have been solid at home even if it is a plastic pitch. I also must say I never rated Barry for a few years but he is playing what can only be described as simple football none of the fat frank hollywood passes and its working. Its the same with joe cole hes a very good player but still likes to hog the ball.

I have seen the reports that Owen-Rooney doesnt work I dont see how this is true. Ok Owen has not scored as many as when Heskey played however when Heskey was playing he (Heskey) couldnt score. I feel Rooney brings something different & the goals are more shared out.

I do struggle to see how we have a fantastic under 21's have done for years but these players dont make it up to the next stage

dont get me wrong i think everyone wants England to win but i feel Russia will win 2-1. sadly.

I see what you're saying Goose but who are the goals more shared between when it's Rooney and Owen playing together?. When Heskey or even Crouch play upfront with Owen, he generally scores. When he plays with Rooney, he doesn't. The goals can't be more shared out because until his "deflected" goal on saturday Rooney hadn't scored a competitive goal since his strike against Portugal in euro 2004.

I'm also seeing what you're saying about the under 21's. The thing is, do you think that the players from that level have been given a real chance at senior level?. Personally I don't think so because every manager in the past has only picked their team based upon reputation rather than the players in form. Generally the younger players have been benched and made to watch and all we ever hear from pundits and managers is "well they may not have got on the pitch but being at the world cup and seeing the crowds etc is invaluable experience for them". HOW the heck does that work?.

It's like when they say that Campbell was selected for the match because of his experience of that kind of situation in the past. What a crock of s#@t. How the heck does a player get experience of that kind of situation if he's never given the chance?.

I'm thinking that you may be right with your prediction though Goose. :(

I feel that the goals are being shared between the team I actually didnt realise that Rooney hadnt scored for so long until the "deflected" goal went in. Is it not better for others to score then rely on the one player to bail us out the s..t as they say.

your right about the under 21's didnt think about it that way, however i think pretty much everyone agrees if your good enough your old enough & your also right with you get the experience by playing not by watching. I mean what was the point of taking Walcott to the world cup??

if its a friendly then yeah gamble try new formations etc ok English fans dont like losing (no one does) but why not try it? but for important matches like Russia why risk Lescott maybe contradicting on the old only get experience by playing but whats important getting to the championship or not??

It will be yet another time in which I wont mind sampling that "humble pie" if I'm proven wrong.

As for going quiet on thursday mate, NO CHANCE. We'll either be gloating because we got it spot on OR we'll be needing to stand up for ourselves because of the stick that the masses on here will be dying to give us. :c:

Guest postman pat

just a thought if they are playing on a plastic pitch tomorrow in Russia why are there no TREVENSON players in the team :huh::wacko: come on ENGLAND 2-1 just to keep the doom and gloom merchants quiet :drink: lol

when england won 3-0 at wembley the ruskis couldnt cope with heskey in the air so surely crouch and either owen or rooney would be a sensible bet cause crouch would murder them in the air and they have no answer to that :clapper: having said that i still think england will win 3-1 :yahoo: