Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey v Falmouth result

Guest Rubber Soul

If there was a reason to get out in the fresh air and enjoy some local football this was it. Both teams going out for the win. Falmouth were looking to put to bed the nightmare first match of the season when they let a 2-0 lead slip in the dying minutes turn into a 2-3 defeat at Bickland Park. A win would see Falmouth hit top spot as well. For St Blazey, they needed 3 points to keep pushing the top half of the table. The first half finished 0-0 but that didnt tell the full story. St Blazey had a shout for a penalty when Nanks seemed to pushed over while he tryed to control the ball but nothing given. Former St Blazey keeper Nathan Murphy made a at least 3 good saves and the ball from the rebound just never fell right for St Blazey to knock in the rebound. Nanks then hit the post in the dying seconds of the first half. Falmouth did see more of the ball but didnt create that much. 2nd half Falmouth started much the brighter and controlled the match for the opening periods. The break through came after about 15 minutes of the 2nd half. The ball in the box fell to a Falmouth player unmarked and Palmer in goal came out to block but the ball some how found the net. St Blazey struggled for a long time to get back in the game after that. Falmouth looked to be on the way to 3 points. Out of nothing the battling Mike Body found himself through on goal but over hit his final touch and Murphy in goal breathed a sigh of relief. That chance seemed to get St Blazey going and Body managed to get away again and from a tight angle hit a cracking shot that Murphy could only palm into the net. 1-1. St Blazey now looked the more likely and Body almost managed to get rounf Murphy after a loose ball but Murphy recovered well. From that, Murphys big kick caused trouble at the back for St Blazey and a shot seemed to take a couple of seflections and find its way in. (Falmouth fans might give us a better idea how it went in). 1-2. Falmouth should have wrapped things up but a free header from no more than 6 yards was put wide. That seemed to be it but St Blazey came back again and once more Body raced through to be taken out.....Penalty. Up steped Whetters to send the keeper the wrong way. 2-2. From our end where we were stood it looked certain that Falmouth were going to get a penalty but the Ref well placed waved play on. St Blazey almost won it at the death when a a good run down the right and a good cross across goal found Body running in who volley over. Steve Paul the ref added his usual yellow card madness to keep things going!!! A good crowd tonight even more so as St Blazeys 2nd team were playing Biscovey just down the road. That finished 1-1. Good to catch up with Mike and some of the Falmouth following. Roll on saturday.

:thumbsup:

Summed up very true Paul,

From the Falmouth angle I thought we played some of our best passing and movement of the season but lacked any creation for goal chances,the only clear cut falling to Brinton Nute(I think) who unmarked from a free kick headed wide from close in -that would have been 2-0.

The half time substitution of Mike Body for Dan Nancarrow was a revelation as first he over ran a thru' ball on goal.Raced into the box for his goal low into the corner.Was fouled by Neil Bettis for the penaltyand in the closing minutes could have won the points but volleyed over.A constant threat for the second half.

The game was played at a fast pace and I thought the Ref.was over fussy with his bookings with good honest tackling from both sides.(I made it 5 for Blazey and 1 for Town,could be more).

corners 4/4.

This ended Falmouth's 6 match winning streak and have now concede 7 goals from 8 league games with St.Blazey netting 5 of them.

I counted Eight St.Blazey players on show who have worn the Black and Amber of Falmouth.

55m 0-1.Aaron Harper-Penman

71m 1-1 Mike Body

78m 1-2 Kain Bond(H)

83m 2-2 Lee Whetters (Penalty)

Any idea of the attendance? Nice to meet up with the Blazey favourites again especially Steve Paynter who I see has dug up some old history of Fal.T. v St.B.in his match programme.

Paul, the second Falmouth goal as I saw it( from a distance ),was created by Andy Bowker who manoeuvred himself for vicious shot which Palmer parried into the path of Kain Bond's head

Guest Peppermint

I watched the match last night and thought a draw was a fair result and despite the fact that it was by no means a dirty game Mr Paul still manged to brandish plenty of yellow cards. I am not sure how many he produced in the end - but talk about being the centre of attention!

He also managed to lecture the St Blazey management as well.

Guest Peppermint

Must of cost your Club another lot of money in fines, last night, Mr Chairman. I think there were a lot more St Blazey players booked than Falmouth Town. A lot of the bookings could and would have been avoided by some referees by talking to the players instead of lecturing. I always think that the best referees are the ones you hardly notice and have a good rapport with the players.

Your spot on peppermint. The Ref we had last night is always the center of attention when ever hes the ref at one of St Blazeys fixtures. I cant just say hes bad for St Blazey, he gives just as bad decisions against the other side as well. Some of the yelow cards were a joke last night. In stead of a 2 second chat, and something like, calm it down a bit, another challenge like that and you will be booked, play on, No, its just whistle, yellow card, Arm in the sky....and on we go. Nightmare. Any Falmouth fans tell me if they thought they should have had a pen near the end. Heart in mouth time from our end but it was so far away it may never have been even close.

Paul - I was watching from the side by the river between half way and the 18 yard line and thought at the time that it wasn't a penalty. I had my thoughts confirmed by 2 or 3 Falmouth Town fans who were much closer to the incident than me who all said that it was not a pen. It seems that at least the ref got that one right. As for the bookings, I think that not too many were justified but you must know by now what to expect from this ref. :o