Cornwall Football Forum

Club assistants in Div One - a different angle

Before I begin it's not another rant about biased assistants - quite the opposite.

In another post on here black and white mentioned Saturday's Millbrook Penzance game and, in a very fair reflection on the game, the fact that Millbrook could have had a couple of penalty shouts.

One of these was a handball which everyone on one side of the ground saw but the ref didn't - probably because of where he was positioned at the time.

The guy acting as Penzance assistant referee also saw it and told the spectators behind him that he'd seen it but because of the referee's briefing at the beginning he wasn't allowed to flag for it. I'm a Millbrook supporter but I'm pleased to say that the Penzance assistant was completely honest to the game all afternoon. If he was allowed to flag for that penalty he would have done.

If at all possible neutral assistants should be appointed to all games of this standard - yes I know about the Step 7 issues and the shortage of officials.

So, if we can't supply neutral officials then the league and referees have to trust the assistants to act as true assistants and let them flag for other offences as well. Whatever's been said on here before, most of the club assistants I've seen have only made mistakes for honest reasons and I saw plenty of the same last season in the SWL with the appointed assistants.

hi Andy, as a referee you have to draw the line somewhere and with club assistants well over 90% of referee`s will in their instructions ask the club assistants not to flag for fouls on the field of play. The reason being that all major decisions, eg a penalty are the referee`s responsability and no way would I place this possible game changing decision on the club assistant their job is hard enough as it is. Even if using neutral assistants I have a good view of any possible penalty incident or for any foul I as the referee still make the decision as to whether I accept the assistants flag or not.

Have you not just contadicted yourself there B Manning ? We all know that the final decision lies with the referee & as you said, you can overrule a official assistants flag or decision so why can you not do the same to a club assistant ?

They are the ones stood 5yrds in front of supporters & when he sees the same thing as they do, but, becos of what he's been told by the referee he does not flag for it, who is going to get the stick from the crowd ?

Surley all the club officials have done the " linesman" course therefore they should be allowed to flag for what they see, if, after talking to them you do not agree with their decision then you overrule him, that way the supporters behind him know that he is being fair & giving what he sees & is not being called a cheat for the next 85mins !

My feeling is, if you dont let club officials make these decisions then you will struggle to find someone at each club willing to stand on the line & do the job !

I think we need to trust each other here !

Hi Kevin, I understand your comment but with some club assistants they vary from extremes some very good others poor even if they have done the course and i will add not necessarily their fault for as a club assistant it is a thankless and difficult task. I have had games where even after giving the instruction about fouls on the field the club assistant gets flag happy and causes quite a few problems and others that are so good that I ask them as to why they are not an official ref. But this may not be known to you at the start of the game.

Guest Sport Lover

I think its ridiculous for a ref to say a lino cannot wave his flag for an on the field incident.

A game changing decision could be an offside is the Lino allowed to flag for that?

If one player punches another player and the Ref doesnt see it can the Lino wave his flag.

In my mind the Ref should get as mich help as he can and then once he has spoken to the Lino regards an incident the Ref can then make a judgment from that.

Guest Peppermint

A point of interest about Assistant Referees in the Peninsula League Division 1 West and East - in the Combination League all club assistants are supposed to attend a course to get a certificate. If the club does not have a certificated assistant for a match then the club is fined. Does the same rule apply to the assistants provided by the clubs in the Peninsula League and if they have not attended a course is the club concerned fined. I believe there are some assistants in the new league that have not taken a course.

I am lead to believe that "Certificated Club Assistant Referees" are rather unique to Cornwall and that there is no official F.A. qualification relating to them. The "certificate", (awarded by Cornwall Referees Assosiation, I believe) only confirms that individuals have attended a short instructional session which outlines the Laws of the Game relevant to the role of a "lino": there is no practical assesment of their ability to carry out the duties.

As the SWPL is sanctioned by the F.A. (rather than Cornwall or Devon F.A.) there is little or no chance of "local rules" being introduced - the rules are standardised across all leagues under the F.A.'s sanction. It's a similar situation to there being no rule to allow postponement of matches for County fixtures - if it's not in the F.A. Standardised Rules it cannot be a League Rule.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that information John. I think that the Cornwall Referees Association should be congratulated in introducing this certificate and sometimes the FA can learn from others. The Combination League are right to encourage Club Assistants to at least attend some course to ensure their competency.

I know Anita - for instance - did the course and then she went on and did the Referees' Course as a result. This is surely a good idea and would make some sense in the Peninsula League Divisions 1.

Guest Urban Spaceman

I thought linesmen were now called assistent referees

they are called assistant referees. i know theres nothing on this posting about it but before anyone starts knocking assistants try doing the job. its not as easy as it seems