Cornwall Football Forum

Remember these teams?

Guest Postie Pidge

Here's one from John Richards' bit in the Cornishman today "Down Memory Lane"

20 Years Ago This Week

"Treve Thomas scored four goals for Gulval in their 8-0 away victory over PENWITH SOCIAL CLUB in the West Penwith League. Other scorers were Willie Thomas (2), Alan Russell and N Hatfield."

PENWITH SOCIAL CLUB - who or where are they?

Guest Postie Pidge

Yeh when they reformed in 1998?, they played at Penryn College.

Backlong, they played on Waterings Road and going back further, on the Weir Road

• 12 years later...

I was manager of Gweek Park Rangers late 80s & early 90s. We started in the Mining league as Twilight FC where we had 2 successful seasons before changing names and leagues playing out of Gweek. We had 2 successive promotions, 2 Supplementary Cups and a Junior Cup before disbanding due to being mainly Navy lads and the start of the Gulf war. Enjoyed our time in both leagues and met some characters & good teams, and really enjoyed beating the more we established. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2007 at 11:42, cornishteddyboy said:

I wonder who owns the Bugle ground as it must be worth quite a bit for housing with planning permission.

Used to be a good day out in the old days like going up to Appledore BAAC, Clyst St Mary, Plymouth Civil Service, Devon and Cornwall Police, etc. Brings tears to the eyes.

I was a committee member at Bugle late 60s/70s.

At that time the field was under the control of a group of Trustees. I was told by my father that the grandstand was funded by village residents, who were asked to donate 1d (old pence) which would buy one concrete block.

Field is now used annually (COVID permitting) by the West of England Bandsmens Festival for the band contest in June.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2007 at 21:07, Guest postman pat said:

my first ever game in mens football was mining2 v BUSBY GENTS played just off t.m.s roundabout in a ploughed yes ploughed field. and no it was not in the 1800's before some brightspark comes on but in the late1970's.some more mining league sides:-

HEATHCOATES

CAMBORNE PLOUGH

BARRIPER

PENGEGON

J&F POOL

TREVUE

ST.IVES DODGEMS

TRELISKE who played were the carpark is now (what a slope)

FAL/HEL.

POOL

I remember watching Busby Gents play in a farm field between Chiverton and Mount Hawke. They had to remove the cow pats before they started.!