Long Rock - Rydal Fields

Malpas Wanderers - Penair School

Raymond Rovers - Raymond Road

Redruth Dynamos - Clijah Croft

St Erth

Trebellan - Newquay Sports Centre

Trelander - Boscawen Park

Trelawny - (Penzance)

These are some of the teams that no longer exist for one reason or another. Some might have played in both leagues.

I think you will find that Mabe, Longdowns and Ponsanooth all played on the pitch behind Mabe School and folded probably all within a 4 or 5 year period.

None of them were particularly successful, despite at least the Mabe team of the late nineties having many players who have gone on to win things with other clubs.

Basically that pitch was jinxed!!

Guest Postie Pidge

Ponsanooth changed their name to Longdowns before most of their players joined Duchy Reserves, they both played on the Mabe School pitch, shared with Mabe.

Mylor played on a farmers field at Weir before a season or two on the current playing field. Flushing played on a pitch at Trefusis Point which is now a farmers field.

Guest postman pat

my first ever game in mens football was mining2 v BUSBY GENTS played just off t.m.s roundabout in a ploughed yes ploughed field. and no it was not in the 1800's before some brightspark comes on but in the late1970's.some more mining league sides:-

HEATHCOATES

CAMBORNE PLOUGH

BARRIPER

PENGEGON

J&F POOL

TREVUE

ST.IVES DODGEMS

TRELISKE who played were the carpark is now (what a slope)

FAL/HEL.

POOL

Guest City Legend

I distictly remember playing on the 'Sloping pitch about a mile from St Erth' once. The cows must have been removed about an hour or two before kick off because the pitch was covered in cow s**t.

We came off absolutely lampered - it was disgusting! Heading the ball was a particularly memorable experience!

Leg.

I think that everybody remembers castle utd pidge mate, especially David James(He can tell you the best story you'll ever hear about what they were like ) "Couldn't you Mr James" ;) . At their pitch in Camborne we used to get changed under a tree in the corner and just pray that it wouldn't rain. Then we'd get kicked around and threatened with our life for an hour and a half, then we'd leave as quickly as possible.

Didn't Truro GWRSA have a sunday league team?. I'm sure I can remember giving them many a tanking in the past.

As for Long Rock, I spent 4 or 5 good years there and won many awards and broke a few goalscoring records along the way. That was a pretty sorted little club really and it's sad that all of the land that used to be the home of 2 football pitches is now just an empty field that's not used for anything whatsoever. I think that Long Rock folded around 2002ish, a few years after I left to join Gulval. I'm not 100% sure of the reasons for them folding but Mr Courtney who owned the ground that used to have the pitches on passed away around the millennium and unfortunately only he wanted football and cricket to be played there. His wife was not so keen and I think that Mr Courtney passing away was the final nail in Long Rock's coffin.

Guest postman pat

mike hodges might be able to help from his pengegon days what was the team called that played at parkbottom! Graham Quick,Dave Forward and Ray Lloyd played for them. i think i still have bruises from Graham Quick to this day lol ;) there was also a pottery in pool that had a mining team

In the mid 60's I was involved with CAMBORNE YOUTH CLUB FC and our most feared opponents(Men against Boys) at that time were CARNHELL GREEN who played at Parbola Farm which included the three James brothers(Brian ,Ginger and Gary), Vivian Vincent, .... Hatch, and a bespectacled keeper Graham Chinn-there are others I cant remember. It was a frightening fixture.

There was a team called HARRIS UNITED named after the bacon factory in Redruth, REDBORNE UNITED, TOOLS AND DIES, PORKELLIS with Mervyn Caddy up front and the "legend" Saboo (Terrence Pascoe) in goal.

SPARTAK FC (Roskear) played in Arsenal colours and shared the Rokear pitch with POOL SPORTS CLUB. and later came the TUCKINGMILL ROVERS(or was it Tigers) who also used that ground.

Postman Pat(Is that Martin) ,I cant recollect that team that played at Park Bottom as yet I will check with the memory man Mel Edwards.

I'll will never forget one of my first matches in Mens football, playing away to Duchy in '98 Mining 3 (I think).

Just before kick off, I was keen as mustard.

Duchy Midfielder with Brummie Accent: Alright Kid, What have you come here for?

Me: To play football.

Duchy Midfielder with Brummie Accent: Not me son, I have come here to break your f****** legs.

Ten minutes into the match I see the Brummie mentalist coming towards me as I had the ball, i pushed him off, he fell to the ground and I was awarded a yellow card. Cheers.

The whole team spent the entire match doing two footed tackles as I tried to avoid getting damaged.

Grassroots football at its best! :)

Dobby - I'm as old as i feel and recall being kicked up in air by yourself! Bleedding ref didn't even book you.

Mike - Made my league debut against Carnhell Green as a young 15 year old and was kicked above the knee first tackle.Welcome to men's football.

The pitch at Park Bottom was only used for 2 or 3 years i think.Roskear had characters like Graham Quick,Dave Forward and Alan Pedley playing.

Guest postman pat

mike yes it is martin. moorlands were a sunday league side, i played for them.the pottery was around Roaches most of there players were from up country,key workers who came down.i think soccerfollower is right about Roskear :clapper:

Guest Postie Pidge

Gweek had a season in the Falmouth-Helston League in 1997/98 (?) and played on their small village pitch but in the 80s they had two Sunday League teams (not sure on Saturday leagues). The pitch to my knowledge is still there but it's wildly overgrown.

St Erth pitch was at the end of Long Lane - just across from Sir John Knott's mansion (He was Minister of Defence during the Falklands.) Star played there befoe moving to the Holiday amp and then to Nacegollan where they are now. I think they dropped the "Inn" bit when they mved East but no one took any notice.

I played for Camborne Plough and helped set up the pitch for Barripper when that club was formed.

The pitch at Treliske was amazing!

It was where the main car park is now. You could stand in the top goalmouth and just see the crossbar of the bottom goal! We used to take ropes and crampons in case someone fell off the pitch!

When did the Mining Division become a League?

St Erth had a football team, where did they play!!

I played for Center Point it was the Helston Youth Club team in 76/77. No showers changed in youth club. Good old days. :clapper:

i remember playing duchy at draceana av back in 1997-1998 2nd round of the junior cup. we had won 10-1 away at pendeen in the first round for VERYAN the biggest win of the round and then lost 11-1 at duchy to be the biggest loss of the round.

VERYAN are now no longer around, st mawes and tregony joined with veryan t frorm THE ROSELAND team, i believe st mawes were a good team in the 80's and 90's they then disbanded and reformed and once again disappeared from the map

Do Falmouth Docks still have a team playing some form of Junior football or did they fold completely in 1985.

If they did they must have been one of the biggest or perhaps the biggest club to go down the pan.

From 1960/61 to 1984/85

They won the Combo once, were runners up once and were 3rd three times.

They competed in one Cup final and four semi-finals.

I remember playing against some of these teams when i first started playing mens football quite a few years ago!!! One team no one has mentioned is the Crown Inn played out towards St Day i think about 1992-93.

FALMOUTH-HELSTON LEAGUE

Duchy - Between 1993-1996, these were a very hard phsyical team and i remember i always scored there but we always lost. They had the smallest pitch in the world and the away team use to get a lot of abuse from mainly the women sitting on the bank watching!!, also they had the smallest changing rooms as well.

Mabe - Mabe School - I remember playing here in about 1994 a sloped pitch and the Great Perranporth Goal Keeper Simon Bertenshaw ( Went on play for Bodmin and i think he handed Falmouth the title in the mid 90's anyone remember, indirect free kick going straight in to the goal no one had touched it so if he left it, would be no goal but Simon got a hand to it and it counted!!!. Well that day in 94 Simon played up front and thats where he got his Nick name Big Bird from.

William IV - Can remember having tough games over there and having a good battle with player called Stretch.

MINING LEAGUE

Castle United - Made my Debut for Perranporth in 1992 against these got kicked all over, welcome to Men's football!!!. Scary playing them away.

Gweek Park Rangers - Will always remember playing against these in about 1994 when Ernie scored 6 goals in that game but they got wiped off as they folded that season.

Long Rock - Played near the round-a-about on your way into Penzance.

Trelawny - Well i thought Trelawny played down on a pitch in Lands End above the Minack Theatre, if nits not them what were they called. All i can remember is we went down there in 1993 the mist rolled in and we had 9 men lost 15-1 i scored a 30 yarder chip, (so still quite pleased) they won the Mining Division 3 title and i can remember Lee Norman playing for them i think with a alice band on ?? , can any one help me.

So there u go the good old days, so any one want to inform me if they remember these things about these teams please do as quite interesting and im bored at work!!

Cheers

Fish

Guest ggr_garth

I think the loss of former SWL champions Bugle, is a dying shame. As far as I am aware, football has been attempted to be resurrected there but, no luck as yet.

Is the ground still there or has it been built on. If I remember it was over the railway line and turn left. Clubhouse there and everything. Shame if it's all gone.

I rember going up there for a match and it started snowing with the snow coming almost down horizonatly in the wind. Pz were 6-0 up at half-time playing with the wind but lost 7-6. couldn't see anything.Took hours to get home to Hayle.

Guest ggr_garth

The pitch and grandstand were still in tact the last time I went there, which was a couple of years ago now. The clubhouse however, was not in such a good state, shall we say!!

they made a comeback in ducky bout 7-8 years ago, moved up a couple of leagues and then disappearred again, DAVE ELLIS was there when they had the glory days

another team out that way was THE FOURLORDS from the fourlorda at st blazey gate!

remember they hadan acrobatic goalkeeper looked just like super mario, he was so super whn i volleyed on from the half way line and lobbed him!!!!!

Guest ggr_garth

George used to play in Bodmin, can't remember were to be exact by the jail I think. Just remember going there as a toddler to watch my old man blaze down the right wing.

Coasters used to play at St Austell AFC, before later becoming known as St Austell reserves. At least it was a little less travel for me to go and watch them!!

• 1 year later...

I think you will find that Mabe, Longdowns and Ponsanooth all played on the pitch behind Mabe School and folded probably all within a 4 or 5 year period.

None of them were particularly successful, despite at least the Mabe team of the late nineties having many players who have gone on to win things with other clubs.

Basically that pitch was jinxed!!

IT WAS JINXED ALRIGHT BUT DONT BLAME THE PITCH,

PIDGE WAS IN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Guest Postie Pidge

Phil Mitchell (or Deano) I never played for Mabe/Ponsanooth/Longdowns so get your facts right!

Soccer Follower I couldn't find the original thread but managed a picture on what the place looks like today

Guest spurs03

ponsnooth had a pitch between treluswell and the village, it was on the left hand side.remember playing there in an evening game we lost 2-1 we were top and they were bottom I believe. and also st mawes played in the fhfl there ground was on top the hill by the water tower.