Cornwall Football Forum

What a cracking Percy Stephens Final!

This great advert for Trelawny League football finished Trispen 6, Pendeen Rovers 5 after extra time. And to be fair, it was without doubt one of those games didn't really deserve a loser!

Despite Pendeen taking the lead on 22 minutes, it was short-lived as three minutes later it was all-square. Then an early second half strike from Trispen gave them the advantage - 2-1 on 51 minutes; and when midway through the second half, the 67th minute, they made it 3-1, it looked as if the game might be all over.

However, as so often happens, Trispen, perhaps not intentionally, sat back as Pendeen also had to go for it, and with two goals in the 72nd and 76th, things were level again. Pendeen then went one better and made it 4-3, but only temporarily as Trispen fought back to make it 4-4 in the 85th minute.

Ten minutes into extra time and Trispen got their nose in front 5-4, but again it wasn't for long as two minutes Pendeen equalised -  5-5!

With extra time beckoning, Trispen left it until four minutes from the end to score again - 6-5, and surely this time there was no way back for Pendeen? But the excitement and drama had one last twist - with less than a minute to go, penalty to Pendeen! Their skipper took it, but his effort was saved and while soon after Trispen celebrated the end of the game, I'm pretty certain it was the same Pendeen player who was off to hospital, not having time to get changed, as his wife is in labour. A day he will never forget for sure! :)  

Cracking end to end game!!! Could have gone either way!! Well done to the trispen lads decent side!?? ive seen alot of games this season and that was one of the best refereeing displays not sure of his name but had a great game!!! 

The dust has settled but what a fantastic day and advert for junior football. Could have went either way on the day but lady luck was just shading towards us. 

Very proud of every one of my players, what a fitting way to end my first season in charge of Trispen. 

I'd like to thank all our supporters for coming along and all the players and committee for allowing me the opportunity to take this challenge.

What a day! 

P.S. Hope everything went well for Silas and his family.