Cornwall Football Forum

JUNIOR CUP FAVOURATES- WHO ARE THEY?

You're correct Ron Manager, the first game was 2-2, with Godolphin winning the reply 2-1 after extra time I think!

This was before Godolphin's first team entered the ECPL and had the likes of Lee Paxton in their team. Edgcumbe were about Duchy 2 or 3 at the team, they have won about 5 promotions in a row, I expect them along with St Stephens Borough to be the 2 favourites in the Eastern section of the draw.

I would hope P6 put a decent run together in the Junior Cup this year as we have a big squad full of quality players...I would have been more hopeful but a 4-2 defeat to Calstock a couple of weeks ago when we had a bare 11 with alot of our best players missing has dented my confidence a touch...however, this has had a positive effect as we have signed a couple of excellent players in Tom Longworth (ex Godolphin) and Josh Harris (16 year old player who has played county) to add to the strong squad we expect to field in all junior cup games. The 5-2 away win against a Biscovey team two divisions above us who have only lost 1 game from their first six gives us a bit more confidence especially as we were without Sparkes, Sorokin and Panter who would all feature in our best starting 11.

If we can get the best 16 out for Junior Cup duty I hope we'll go deep into the tournament with the likes of Tom Currah (19 goals in 5 games), Steve Sparkes and Leon Carter who have both played a very high standard oooop north, James Ringrose (ex Newquay Combo keeper and section finalist with Cubert/Holywell), Longworth, Parsonage, Code (another section finalist with Cubert/Holywell) all ex Godolphin, Neil Currah who has been our best player so far this season, Oleg Sorokin an outstanding Russian centre half mixed in with the rest of the squad we expect to go quite deep...however alot does depend on the draw. We also have Pete Wrack to come back from injury who was technically our best player during preseason and used to play semi pro in Hampshire after being released from Portsmouth.

I have played Looe before and thought Matt Barton was an exceptional talent who I would compare to Luke Wort (a long term P6 target).

I have also played Edgcumbe before and they to my mind have been the best Junior team I have ever come up against as well as St Stephens Borough who knocked the Godolphin out in the 1/4 finals 5-6 years ago.

The Eastern section has been weakened with the loss of teams to the East Cornwall League but I still think that Looe, St Stephens Boro and Edgcumbe all have a real chance to win this years competition.

I know very little about the sides down west other than Cowper at Portreath who use to play at P6 on a Sunday is a real handful of a striker who I cannot believe is playing Junior football this season.

Here's looking forward to the draw......

• 3 months later...