Cornwall Football Forum

Vets Games - Sunday 22nd March

Yesterday’s results:-

League Cup Semi Final

Boscastle 1-3 ‘The Cruisers’ Holmans
Wendron 2-2 Perranporth (Wendron won 3-1 on pens)

Supplementary Cup Semi Final

Penzance-Newlyn Non Athletico 5-1 Western Inn

Edited by ant.tux

Wendron 2

Perranporth 2

In a rip roaring physical but fair game involving many friends and ex team mates it was Wendron who some what surprisingly came out on top. I say surprising because with all due respect to us we could of been out of it at the break. Perran started the brighter with Gossy and Micky lane causing us all sorts of problems ably assisted by Deano, Rusty and Andy Miles joining them when they got the chance, fortunately they didn't seem to have their shooting boots on, Rusty heading over from a corner and Gossy going close cracking a sweet effort off the bar and a free kick going over the top, Milsey also put a free kick wide and Dean Blatch's long shot was fairly comfortably gathered, Wendron did start to get in to it trying to hit Perran on the break forcing a few corners from which one Domo headed agonisingly wide, but on the whole we didn't keep ball well and their was too big a gap between our front two and midfield. Milesy was winning everything in the air and it was no surprise really that Perran took the lead when we lost posession and an unmarked Ian Gosling put in a gorgeous ball dispatched by a diving header, hint of offside but Nigel wasn't having any of it ?

A few constructive words at half time and it seemed to be a different Wendron side second half, Ball retention was much better and we decided to take the game to Perran, Gossy was dropped back in to what seemed like centre back and they lost Blatchy through injury, for us Pottsy felt his hammy so spenny dropped back and Papa Harris moved in to the middle, Andy Wood coming on wide right, it was from a free kick out that side we manufactured our equaliser Greg Handford playing it in to Steve Warr who found Stives who rolled it in to Dom who hammered it across mark in the Perran goal. The rest of the half saw many half chances which may be when we were younger we could of reached but really neither Mark or myself were particularly tested, the game came to life On 85 when Wendron probably deservedly took the lead on our 2nd half performance Malcolm Moyle placing a low shot. In the corner following a bit of a scramble, back came Perran pushing everyone forward as we desperately tried to see the game out. No chance unfortunately as Rusty was brought down in a bit of a panic and a cool Ian Gosling made it 2-2 from the spot Wendron had one more chance Domo not quite quick enough to tuck home a chance at the far post.

Penalties and both teams could be confident going in to them, we beat Perran on pens a couple of years back and I don't think Perran have lost one since then.

Micky Lane took the first low to my left but I guessed right and put it wide, Steve Brown for us then saw Mark make a good save with his big toe, Rusty next for Perran with a long run up but scuffed it to my right and I was able to touch it wide, Domo then smashed our 2nd in to the top right corner obviously lol, Andy miles took their 3rd and though I guessed right if I had got their it would of taken me in the net with it, Papa Harris next for us and he sent mark the wrong way, Mark next for Perran and rather than blast it like I thought he would he placed it high and wide, credit for taking one mind I wouldn't, that left Spencer Knibb to win it for us with a cool penalty to Mark's right, 3-1 on pens

thanks to Perran for a cracking cup tie and a good laugh with a few beers after, all the best in their other semi v Penzance, for us its an all western final v Holmans, more friends and ex team mates ? ??