Cornwall Football Forum

News on proposed ground site for Truro City

If it materialises, then it will need to be safeguarded by registration of the ground with the local authority as a community asset.You never know what is around the corner, after losing our ground to ginger, best to protect the next ground from a similar fate.We wouldnt be the first football club to take this coarse of action.

Having read the press release, Philip King and Jonathan Cox of Helical speak of the site offering the club a springboard to develop their facilities in the future and to provide an alternative pitch for TCFC.This doesnt sound like the TCFC Chairmans vision of a Conference standard stadium incorporating a youth academy, all at the expense of Helical.Furthermore, the application will be submitted in coming months, leaving it so open ended when they had every chance to give some more specific indications of time scales.Im sorry CORNISH HOOP but one of us it would appear, read the press release through rose tinted spectacles.

Having read the press release, Philip King and Jonathan Cox of Helical speak of the site offering the club a springboard to develop their facilities in the future and to provide an alternative pitch for TCFC.This doesnt sound like the TCFC Chairmans vision of a Conference standard stadium incorporating a youth academy, all at the expense of Helical.Furthermore, the application will be submitted in coming months, leaving it so open ended when they had every chance to give some more specific indications of time scales.Im sorry CORNISH HOOP but one of us it would appear, read the press release through rose tinted spectacles.

Told yah ! Anyway we will see !

• 3 weeks later...

Being honest here, does it really matter if the FA and Sport for England are against the proposal for Truro City Football Club to relocate their ground? What has it got to do with them? If this is the case then the Chairman can't really go on Radio Cornwall criticising the Stadium For Cornwall bid. As far as I'm concerned, if TCFC don't get this new stadium, then the future doesn't look bright at all.

Being honest here, does it really matter if the FA and Sport for England are against the proposal for Truro City Football Club to relocate their ground? What has it got to do with them? If this is the case then the Chairman can't really go on Radio Cornwall criticising the Stadium For Cornwall bid. As far as I'm concerned, if TCFC don't get this new stadium, then the future doesn't look bright at all.

Exactly Jacob.

Thats why its twitchy bum time.

TCFC Chairman criticised S4C because although they have planning permission,they are financially reliable on a Supermarket planning application,for funding.

His arguement for TCFC was all finances were in place,but progress was only possible,if planning permission was granted for the Treyew Rd Retail Park developement.

In my eyes,thats the same in both cases.

Both are waiting for planning approvals.MARCH 12th D.DAY,it is then.

The "Stadium For Cornwall" thingy, who is is really for, Truro City or Cornish Pirates?

FOOTBALL: Truro City chairman make Cornish Pirates stadium offer

3266868.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc2

Artist impression of Stadium4Cornwall, the stadium Cornish Pirates want to eventually move into

PETER Masters said Truro City are open to the idea of sharing their proposed new ground with the Cornish Pirates.

Speaking to BBC Cornwall yesterday, the football club's chairman said the Greene King IPA Championship are welcome to join them at their planned Silver Bow development.

Alongside Truro and Penwith College, the Pirates are hoping to get permission for the Stadium4Cornwall, which would also be built near Silver Bow.

Masters said on air: "If people want to come and join our party, which is already funded, i.e the college or even the Pirates, there's an open invitation there."

The Stadium4Cornwall bid is being held up presently as permission is being sought to build a supermarket on the site, with a decision set to be made by March 12.

The "Stadium For Cornwall" thingy, who is is really for, Truro City or Cornish Pirates?

FOOTBALL: Truro City chairman make Cornish Pirates stadium offer

3266868.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc2

Artist impression of Stadium4Cornwall, the stadium Cornish Pirates want to eventually move into

PETER Masters said Truro City are open to the idea of sharing their proposed new ground with the Cornish Pirates.

Speaking to BBC Cornwall yesterday, the football club's chairman said the Greene King IPA Championship are welcome to join them at their planned Silver Bow development.

Alongside Truro and Penwith College, the Pirates are hoping to get permission for the Stadium4Cornwall, which would also be built near Silver Bow.

Masters said on air: "If people want to come and join our party, which is already funded, i.e the college or even the Pirates, there's an open invitation there."

The Stadium4Cornwall bid is being held up presently as permission is being sought to build a supermarket on the site, with a decision set to be made by March 12.

That is true.

TCFC Chairman said,come and join our party.

But if the roles were reversed,he said TCFC would not ground share.??????????????????????

The F.A and Sport for England are against TCFC proposal for their ground relocation.

Funny how this has been kept very quiet.

Interesting, but I've just listened to the interview on BBC iPlayer and can't hear and find any reference to FA and Sport England at all. Any clue as to which question it was in response to or where in the interview it was mentioned? Thanks.

The F.A and Sport for England are against TCFC proposal for their ground relocation.

Funny how this has been kept very quiet.

Interesting, but I've just listened to the interview on BBC iPlayer and can't hear and find any reference to FA and Sport England at all. Any clue as to which question it was in response to or where in the interview it was mentioned? Thanks.

Burto are you trying to be clever and just having a dig at me.

Read the whole thread ,and you have already been told where to find it.

Who said it was in the Radio interview.???????????????

But just for you.

stadium4cornwall blogspot will get the information for you.

I see Mr Masters has invited the Pirates to this so-called fully funded new ground that only goes ahead if the retail park is built just like the Stadium for Cornwall that only gets built if the retail outlet is built.

What a total waste of time the Pirates joining in with Truro City's Helican effort. Seating for only 500. Parking for 120 cars. No enough.

Pirates need at least room for 10,000 if they want promotion and the facilities for coping with that many not some tiddly little backwater like Silver Bow.  

If you look at the graphics provided, which will already have cost money to produce, it shows the main stand, tunnel to the dressing rooms and some kind of press box situated at one end of the ground. Given a blank canvas upon which to design a football stadium, how many people would DO that? The stand and clubhouse as shown should be swopped. You place the tunnel and dressing rooms (+ treatment rooms) as close to the dugouts as possible and provide the best view of the whole pitch for the media. It is inconceivable to me to do it any other way. On big grounds where this isn't the case, you look into it and find there is always an underlying reason why there isn't this arrangement; and at Wembley the media desks aren't on the half-way line because you get a brilliant view of the whole pitch from everywhere. Having the changing facilities at one end of the ground is the hallmark of clubs very low down the pyramid: think of Gala Park, Mount Wise (which used to house the changing rooms under the stand), Oxland Park, Marshfield Park, etc., etc. This isn't meant as a criticism: merely an observation of fact. Why else did clubs at a similar level build their grounds the logical way: Bodmin, Falmouth, St Austell? Further afield, Dorchester's and Durham City's newly-built stadia have things the logical way round. I would really like to know why the Silverbow plans are Arsenal-about face.

Tom, Mr Masters has told you on other forums that if you write down your preferences they will be considered, end of story.

With teaching, if one of your pupils failed to complete an essay you would have him on detention (better than banning).

Mr Masters has told you he is using another clubs ground as a template but with some amendments all to Conference standard.

A planning application is about many things not only buildings,  how those buildings are furnished comes later.

What is it about Mr Masters statement, "I'll listen to all suggestions" don't you understand ?

I am still supporting what one of our armed forces supporters calls "The Smokey Seven" but will not rock the Silver Bow boat.

The 'Silver Bow Stadium' has a bit of a ring to it

OMG at least 10000 you're having a laugh the Pirates league games are only averaging 1391 from the 8 games played at home this season, the highest was against the Championships top club Bristol and then it was a mere 2390.

1256 - 2390- 1727 - 1087 - 1010 - 1128 - 1209 - 1324 Hardly a hot bed of rugby considering other games in the county are played on a Saturday, Truro City's gates would rise it all other teams in the County weren't playing at the same time. The myth of Cornwall being a rugby county has been quashed, there is greater participation in Association Football (round ball game).

OMG at least 10000 you're having a laugh the Pirates league games are only averaging 1391 from the 8 games played at home this season, the highest was against the Championships top club Bristol and then it was a mere 2390.

1256 - 2390- 1727 - 1087 - 1010 - 1128 - 1209 - 1324 Hardly a hot bed of rugby considering other games in the county are played on a Saturday, Truro City's gates would rise it all other teams in the County weren't playing at the same time. The myth of Cornwall being a rugby county has been quashed, there is greater participation in Association Football (round ball game).

As usual you have missed the point.

It is not about current average gates but what the Pirates NEED as part of the conditions to be promoted.

They HAVE to have a 10,000 capacity stadium.

Remember, they won the Championship but could not be promoted as they never had the ground.

Coming in with Truro City would be a waste of time so they will have to continue to pursue the Stadium For Cornwall. They could be at The Dickie Bow Stadium with Truro and win the Championship season after season but would not be able to be promoted as the ground would be too itty bitty.

Mr Masters is clutching at straws offering the Pirates a chance to play (not groundshare) at a possible new ground as it would look good on the CV at the Council Planning meeting.

Pirates would have to pay rent to play there, so pointless, so might as well put their money towards S4C. 

Rugby Union and Rugby League are bankrupt sports, you have no money, the lies have to end, clubs far better placed than the pirates cannot afford the huge salaries demanded by overseas players, the Pirates have NOT got the money NOW to build the ground, the attendances are small, the RFU cannot fill Twickenham for the biggest club game in rugby on 30th May the Premiership Final, I go every year it is my sole game to watch, no difficulty getting tickets I selected the same seats as last year on the half way line, even a wall in front of me 4 rows back to stand my beer on, I got 5 tickets, I could have up to 8.   In association football many club season ticket holders cannot get tickets because the demand is so great for their cup finals.

You talk about promotion but are 41 points behind the leading club, you are not far from the relegation zone just 14 points ahead of Plymouth Albion in bottom place, you can't spend money you do. Not have and to borrow the interest would be crippling. The whole Pirates application is based on "IF" the whole planning application is IFFEY to me.

Rugby is a minority sport inflated by Sky

Darren, Definition of Potential

Existing in possibility

Capable of being made real

Something that can develop or become actual

Possible capacity or value

So there you are old friend like the whole Pirates ambition it is something that is nothing.

I haven't looked for a while but I think Leicester Tigers have the top average attendance figure

in the Premiership around 23500 hardly competes with the numbers football attracts. 

Rugby Union and Rugby League are bankrupt sports, you have no money, the lies have to end, clubs far better placed than the pirates cannot afford the huge salaries demanded by overseas players, the Pirates have NOT got the money NOW to build the ground, the attendances are small, the RFU cannot fill Twickenham for the biggest club game in rugby on 30th May the Premiership Final, I go every year it is my sole game to watch, no difficulty getting tickets I selected the same seats as last year on the half way line, even a wall in front of me 4 rows back to stand my beer on, I got 5 tickets, I could have up to 8.   In association football many club season ticket holders cannot get tickets because the demand is so great for their cup finals.

You talk about promotion but are 41 points behind the leading club, you are not far from the relegation zone just 14 points ahead of Plymouth Albion in bottom place, you can't spend money you do. Not have and to borrow the interest would be crippling. The whole Pirates application is based on "IF" the whole planning application is IFFEY to me.

Got to disagree,with you Ivor.

You come to Cornwall,and tell them Rugby is a dying sport,and going bankrupt.?????

Pot and kettle,springs to mind.

What about another sport,where Premiership clubs get richer,while smaller ones fall by the wayside.

Also ,isnt Silver Bow based on a IF,as well.

No planning permission.No Silver Bow.????????????????????

Somersetspur and Darren.

You obviously have no knowledge of the inner workings of the rugby world, even the Salary Cap Regulations would emit fear for the small clubs basking in the Championship even though the regulations are there to protect them.

When the Pirates were riding the crest of the wave a few years back they were top of the pile and even then without any competition spectator wise from other clubs playing the same day they were only attracting in the region of 3000 at TRURO on a good day, 10000 will never happen, Premiership Rugby will never happen it is time to end the dream.

Whilst writing the above I hadn't seen this published today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/premiership-clubs-must-take-urgent-steps-to-attract-best-players-and-bigger-crowds-9223856.html

OK the Pirates wouldn't meet the £6 million Salary Cap Maximum but they also would not be able to meet the £4 million Minimum Salary per season either. Check out admission prices at the higher level, people would not pay them, alright some would but not in high numbers.

Where exactly does Pete say these things?

From years of attending "consultations" I recognise the language used.

"You will be able to comment on the final plans". So pardon my cynicism, and you will know better than I which Conference stadia have all the important facilities at one end of their ground.

On the S4C thing: had TCFC not had to move from Treyew Road, the S4C would have been at 3MS, a couple of miles away. Silverbow being across the road wouldn't change the fact that the Pirates and TCFC had grounds close together. And reading all the guff about S4C and the College, the Silverbow site would be perfectly sited to allow the educational goings-on at S4C to expand (with agreement) esp as Silverbow will have an all-weather pitch.

The one shouldn't preclude the other.

"You will be able to comment on the final plans". So pardon my cynicism, and you will know better than I which Conference stadia have all the important facilities at one end of their ground.

On the S4C thing: had TCFC not had to move from Treyew Road, the S4C would have been at 3MS, a couple of miles away. Silverbow being across the road wouldn't change the fact that the Pirates and TCFC had grounds close together. And reading all the guff about S4C and the College, the Silverbow site would be perfectly sited to allow the educational goings-on at S4C to expand (with agreement) esp as Silverbow will have an all-weather pitch.

Peter Masters Posted 1 day ago sm_687576_1377498895.jpg
Tom when can I expect your essay (or proposal) on the England v Wales commentating I had expected to receive it shortly after the final whistle :))))

Peter Masters Posted 1 day ago sm_687576_1377498895.jpg
Tom when can I expect your essay (or proposal) on the England v Wales commentating I had expected to receive it shortly after the final whistle :))))

Oops Sorry Tom he was looking for a FRIDAY feed back I mixed it up with an answer to my posting on the thread you started.

Ivor the location of buildings etc have not been set in stone. I can say we are in contact with St Neots Football Club who I know have been most helpful in sharing there experience in both design and building. I like there set up save for a couple of areas. The important thing to remember we are working to a Conference Specification which ultimately has to be signed off by the FA. The final design will be available for all to see and comment. We have come a long way in a very short period of time compared to the SC4 project. This Stadium is a done deal subject to planning we could be playing football at Silverbow by as earlier as December 2015 at best

Bottom line is both clubs need a bigger and better stadium than their current ones if they want to be more successful and climb the leagues.

For years the Cornish Pirates have been challenging at the top end of the RFU Championship, not so much in the past couple of seasons though. But even so, it shows how good they are/can be and I'm confident that if they had a better stadium, they would be in the Premiership by now. A lot of players from the Pirates move on to Premiership clubs to further their careers as they can't do that at the Pirates because they can't go up. The former owner Dicky Evans left because he couldn't see the Stadium being built for a while and didn't see much in it for him. Having a new stadium will attract bigger players, with the ambition it will also attract bigger players to come down here and be part of something. More people might be inclined to watch when they see the teams that are coming down to play as well. Despite football being a more popular sport in general, Cornwall is a Rugby county I believe. All you need to do is see the support they get in the Bill Beaumont Championship campaign, unbelievable.

Truro City need a new stadium as well. Very ambitious and if they want to fulfil their ambitions then the stadium is a must. They can't stay at Treyew Road in the long term. They have the potential to get better, like the Pirates, but need a stadium to do that.

If it came to the two clubs ground sharing then so be it, providing the pitch was good enough and kept in a good enough condition. Or they go their opposite ways and get stadiums elsewhere. On another note, does anyone know how far the two stadium plans are apart from each other? Not sure where Silver Bow is to be honest.

Bottom line is both clubs need a bigger and better stadium than their current ones if they want to be more successful and climb the leagues.

For years the Cornish Pirates have been challenging at the top end of the RFU Championship, not so much in the past couple of seasons though. But even so, it shows how good they are/can be and I'm confident that if they had a better stadium, they would be in the Premiership by now. A lot of players from the Pirates move on to Premiership clubs to further their careers as they can't do that at the Pirates because they can't go up. The former owner Dicky Evans left because he couldn't see the Stadium being built for a while and didn't see much in it for him. Having a new stadium will attract bigger players, with the ambition it will also attract bigger players to come down here and be part of something. More people might be inclined to watch when they see the teams that are coming down to play as well. Despite football being a more popular sport in general, Cornwall is a Rugby county I believe. All you need to do is see the support they get in the Bill Beaumont Championship campaign, unbelievable.

Truro City need a new stadium as well. Very ambitious and if they want to fulfil their ambitions then the stadium is a must. They can't stay at Treyew Road in the long term. They have the potential to get better, like the Pirates, but need a stadium to do that.

If it came to the two clubs ground sharing then so be it, providing the pitch was good enough and kept in a good enough condition. Or they go their opposite ways and get stadiums elsewhere. On another note, does anyone know how far the two stadium plans are apart from each other? Not sure where Silver Bow is to be honest.

Jacob.

Silver Bow is basically right on the doorstep of the Caravan Park,just down the road from the Langarth site.

Guess who has connections with the Caravan Park.???????????????????????????????? :)

Jacob,

The carrot the Pirates use is a pie in the sky arrival in the Premiership, they do not have the money now and certainly wouldn't be able to afford joining the Premiership if the opportunity arose, teams in the Premiership have a SALARY CAP now the Pirates would not be able to raise a maximum of £6 million or the minimum of £4 million for wages plus an extra unspecified one celebrity players earnings, that's without any running costs. People in Cornwall wouldn't pay £50/60 to watch a game of rugby. Remember rugby pricing in the Premiership starts at around £20 behind the goals and increases until you reach the halfway line. 
There is no substance in the Pirates proposal, it's no money, no ideas, all speculation.

We should ALL back Peter Masters and Pepe Perryman on this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for today, off to footy in a couple of hours, Tranmere Rovers v Wycombe Wanderers, it is strange not shouting "Come on City" but getting use to it and throwing my arms in the air when the Chairboys score.

I know Peter Masters has links with the Caravan Park, as I believe he owns it. Until now I didn't know that was where Silver Bow was. Is it not possible to have both stadiums then? Bit far fetched I know but we see similar situations up the country, and that works alright, well from the outside it does anyway.

We should be helping a team like the Cornish Pirates get a new ground and progress. New ground could be attractive to a potential new buyer? Someone who has the money. I can see why nobody would want to buy them now as there isn't much in it for them.

It's a difficult one as I support both teams really, and want both teams to progress and get new grounds. If anything I would prefer Truro City to get a new ground as I prefer them and football is my main sport. But I can't see no reason why ground sharing, at either stadium, should be a problem providing the pitch is kept in good condition, depending on the surface used. I back both Peter Masters, Pep Perryman, Ian Connell, Cornish Pirates and let's not forget Truro and Penwith College.

The biggest club game (in theory) as far as Truro City are concerned is the FA Trophy Final. The record attendance for a final is 53,262 so the FA can't fill Wembley for that big game so it's the same in both sports.

As much as I'd like to think the Cornish Pirates and Truro City could play in the upper echelons of their sport, I can't really see either happening although I think the best opportunity lies with the Pirates.

Jacob,

The carrot the Pirates use is a pie in the sky arrival in the Premiership, they do not have the money now and certainly wouldn't be able to afford joining the Premiership if the opportunity arose, teams in the Premiership have a SALARY CAP now the Pirates would not be able to raise a maximum of £6 million or the minimum of £4 million for wages plus an extra unspecified one celebrity players earnings, that's without any running costs. People in Cornwall wouldn't pay £50/60 to watch a game of rugby. Remember rugby pricing in the Premiership starts at around £20 behind the goals and increases until you reach the halfway line. 
There is no substance in the Pirates proposal, it's no money, no ideas, all speculation.

We should ALL back Peter Masters and Pepe Perryman on this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice this posting has conveniently been ignored so where will the annual millions just for wages be generated?

The Cornish Pirates did have the money before when Dicky Evans was there, not sure if they do now he's walked away though. That's why he was so intent on getting this Stadium for Cornwall because he had real ambitions for the Pirates and their future, as did everybody else at the club. Who's to say Ivor that the Pirates would not be attractive for a potential new buyer should they make it to the Premiership? We don't know what's going on behind the scenes in this respect. They won't have the money now, but who knows for the future? The Cornish Pirates I'm sure wouldn't charge that much to watch a Premiership game, they would find a way to suit everyone. Yes it would be expensive but when you are paying the money to watch top quality rugby and top quality teams, then some people won't mind as much because of their passion for the game. I back both parties in their Stadium proposals. But the Cornish Pirates don't lack ambition that's for sure. As for all speculation? Not sure you can say that as this has been coming for a long while now, just the council are being stubborn about it.

I just hope the owner realises that if we reach the higher divisions we are going to have to get quality in, which will mean paying some players more money to come down here and play for us, which is what we will need to compete. This is of course at the same time we should be trying to bring the youngsters through.

What puzzles me,is this.

Lets say Silver Bow gets the thumbs up because Treyew Rd Retail Park gets planning permission.

Truro gain promotion this season to Conference South,which has always  been priority .

Silver Bow Stadium is built,in say 12 months time.

Helical Bar's nice little sponsorship deal comes to an end.

Where is the money going to come from to pay for TCFC to assemble a Conference class squad ,to compete in the League.

Pete Masters,already said that he required crowds of up to 800,to be self sufficent,in the Southern Premier League.

So will they get crowds,that size at Silver Bow.?They might do at the start.

But if Truro are not challenging at the top,crowds will lessen.

So are Pete and Pep going to finance this rise up the League's.

Think I know the answer,to that.

So whats going to happen in the future.???????????????????/ 

Echoing the above post and despite reading the above previously I apologise if any of what I say is inaccurate or stating the obvious but it appears the club are looking for an out of town development. Treyew Road is close enough to walk to from the town and is near to the station, therefore easily accessible for the casual or fairweather supporter to come and go as they please. An out of town development may be modern and have everything they need but wouldn't be as easily accessible. Depending on the eventual location, a home game might have to be planned rather than on a whim - hopping on the train at the last minute and deciding to watch Truro instead of someone else. I may have gone around the houses to make my point but hopefully it can be seen.