Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven Reserves 3-3 Penzance Reserves

Porthleven Reserves 3-3 Penzance Reserves

This undoubtedly was the best game we have seen this season. To come away from Gala Park with a draw was a tremendous result, as we had our “Saturday” team playing instead of our “Tuesday” team. By this we mean we had our team of youngsters playing with no back-up from first-teamers. Porthleven had no first teamers either but everyone of their player looked over 20 and were bigger than our players. Porthleven had won their last 6 games and were unbeaten in 8 and were 3rd in the table.

The game started with Porthleven playing towards the sea end, the weather being perfect for football. In fact we haven’t seen any rain during a league match so far this season. It rained against Penryn after the match finished.

Pz are on the defensive from the off but Port’s attacks come to nothing with our goal not threatened. After a couple of minutes Pz break and Ryan Dunn shoots just wide of their post from 25yds. Port come back down our left but shoot into our goalies arms. Sam Long tries a speculative shoot from 25yds which is tipped away for a Pz corner. The corner is floated in and the goalie jumps and grabs the ball. Port break and get a corner. The ball comes over, is headed and hits the corner between the post and bar, bounces out and is thankfully booted to safety by the Magpies.

On 5mins a poor back pass to our keeper sees a Porthleven player react quickest, he gets there first, rounds Damien and puts the ball into an empty net. The linesman flags for handball but the ref who made one or two strange decisions during the match allows the goal to stand. 1-0 to the Fishermen.

Porthleven push on to increase their lead and at times it is backs to the wall defending with breaks out by Pz. Shots and headers go in but thankfully Port’s finishing is a bit wayward. Our keeper makes a couple of saves that keep out goal bound shots. Pz gradually come back into the game attacking down their right. They get a corner which is floated over. Mark Grenfell rises highest to head goal bound which is knocked away for another corner. This one is floated in on the goalie who tips it away but Stevie Burt is on the edge of the box and puts a neat volley into the net. 21mins and it’s 1-1.

The game is becoming more even but Porthleven still look the most likely to score. Then in the 29th minute a Porthleven player running down the centre looks up from 45yds and blasts one past our keeper who dives but the ball is travelling to fast. It is one of those long range screamers which puts Port 2-1 up.

Porthleven apply more pressure and a player runs into the box and gets in a tangle with our keeper. The ref blows for a penalty. The Port player steps up, blasts it low to our keeper’s right but Damien gets down and pushes it out. Everyone runs in but we get it away break up-field and get a corner. Ball floats in and Wayne Wager jumps and the Port keeper stops the ball low down on his line. Port come back and get a free kick just outside the box, but waste it by blasting it straight into the wall.

H-T

Porthleven put Pz under pressure as soon as the ref restarts the game but shoot wide of our upright. Port have another wild shoot but this flies high and wide and must land 50yds behind our goal. Pz get a free kick on the half-way line. The ball is floated in high and Stevie Burt gets behind the defence to head the ball into the net. 51mins 2-2.

Porthleven regroup and come back at Pz and 4mins later a volley on the right goes in with our keeper diving but not reaching it in time. 55mins 3-2.

This seems to sting Pz as 2mins later they break down the Port left, Sam Long fires one in, the ball rebounds out and Greg Olds scores his first goal for Pz with a curling volley from 20yds. Goalie watched it as he went the wrong way. 57mins 3-3.

Porthleven then turn the pressure screw on the Magpies who defend their goal line to a man. Sean George makes a great tackle as Port come forward 3 on 2. Port get corner after corner but good (or desperate) defending plus wayward finishing keeps our goal intact.

Pz manage the odd breakout with Charlie Goldworthy having a good run down the line. The ball’s kicked out but the ref gives a goal kick for some reason.

On one Porthleven corner the ball comes over, our goalie is fouled but the ref again ignores it.

Our players start going down like nine pins with injuries and cramps.

In the end they defend their 1 point for a draw for 42mins as the ref plays 9mins of overtime.

What a cheer from the many Pz supporters in the crowd of 58 when the ref blows full-time.

Conclusion – The whole team raised their game today. The back 4 were strengthened by the return of Sean George who had a brilliant game. The reserves slotted in well when they came on. Pz’s man of the match was Stevie Burt who was here, there everywhere plus scoring the 2 goals. For the last few minutes he spent half his time with cramp having run his heart out for the team.

Porthleven will do well this season better than some including me predicted. They are a big side full of wise heads. Shooting is a bit wayward but they are good at sustaining pressure on a team which can only lead to goals.

CTB

Guest Doomer17

Thought the referee was shambolic! When he gave a penalty, the left winger Tom said "What did i do ref", i said "Aparantly you took him out", so ref says "no keeps,not him, you!" i was so shocked, wasn't even near him! I had to play injured by the way! Had physio before, and at half time when i could hardly walk let alone run! Got through it though, and glad we got a point :)

Guest Doomer17

Thats about right! When Jerry came on and was hacked out inside our area, the ref had a go at me for time wasting because i threw the ball out, but when Jerry showed him the gash on his shin just above his shin pad, he walked off in disregard! Also when i came for a corner, had it comfortably in two hands only to be ploughed into, i asked the ref why he didn't deem it as a foul.. he said there was no contact!!! NO CONTACT!? Awful!

Guest Black&White

Stevie was entitled to a run out in the reserves on Saturday as he hadn't started a senior match, first team or otherwise, since the St Austell game back on 25th August. He's been out of action since then with a nasty cut to his foot, missing five games, against Penryn, Bishop Sutton, Hayle, Wellington and Goonhavern - and has marked his return with three goals in two games, two of which came against Porthleven.

All Pz supporters will be delighted to see him back, particularly with Sean McMahon, who has performed admirably in Steve's absence, about to commence a suspension.