Cornwall Football Forum

Wendron Utd Reserves 1 v 3 Newquay Reserves

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Whilst others abandoned the clubs they usually support in favour of an unrelated FA Cup match, members of the Newquay Loyal travelled down to Wendron to watch the Combo side come away with an excellent win. Luke Wheldon hit a looping volley from 18 yards over the defence into the left hand top corner after just 15mins. The home side pulled on back when a ball knocked over the top of the defence was latched on to and the forward slotted past the keeper - Newquay protests for off side were waved away and to be honest, we couldn't see from where we were standing.

The second half was a fairly even affair until Matt brought on Paul Cox for Wheldon after 65mins. Cox repaid the boss's faith with 2 superb goals, both coming from right hand side crosses and Cox whipped both into the home net. Difficult to pick a MOM due to some excellent play from 1 to 11 but just for his sheer persistance and quality crossing, stand up Shaun Lawrence.

A note on the excellent new changing facilities at Wendron, smashing new building which I am sure players and officials will appreciate. The Clubhouse remains shared with the cricket club, but for some reason no food was served until after the match. Work on the ground is still ongoing and will no doubt be one of the nicer grounds in the West once it is finished. I did note a sign saying they charge £1.50 for Combo matches (man with box came around) and only £2.50 for SWPL matches, I thought the league set the admission at £3 ?