Cornwall Football Forum

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Tony Rowe has passed away. Tony was manager of Lanner FC for nearly 20 years until he stepped down in June 2013. Are thoughts are with Tony's family at this sad time. RIP Tony you will be missed.

Now have the funeral details for anyone wishing to attend.

Friday 19th December 11am at St Day Church and then back to the Penventon Hotel afterwards.

Very Shocked at this news, Tony spent many an hour at Carharrack AFC when Barry & I use to look after the pitch, trying to tempt us over to look after Lanner FC. He always used to tell us both how every year was always going to be he's last at managing. Tony use to pop up to St Day and watch on the odd Sunday morning too. Another Stalwart gone to local football.

RIP Tony and mine & all at St Day AFC are thinking of your family at this very hard time.

Best Wishes

Mark Leah

Tony was a real gentleman and his team talks were legendary had lots of success with Both Chacewater and Carharrack before moving on to Lanner, will never forget his face when we at Carharrack beat a unbeaten Chacewater in the Dunn cup final, I think he slept with the cup for a month before returning it , great servant to local football especially Lanner. Will miss meeting up with Tony every now and then, R I P mate

Really saddened to hear this tonight. Tony was a real gent who loved his football. His passion and desire for the game was as it should be. Spent many hours chatting to Tony over the years and shared many giggles, especially him trying to to pronounce "Cury" :). RIP in peace to a fabulous gentleman. Smudge could you please keep in touch with the funeral details.

Absolutely gutted to come home and hear this sad news. Not afraid to admit it brought a tear to my eye. A great servant at Carharrack but a even bigger one at Lanner keeping the club going for many years.

I only saw Tony down our ground weeks ago enjoying a cup of tea whilst talking about our team and how he enjoys watching the youth games. His last words to me were he hopes we go onto win the league.

Best known for his three wheeled cars. Tony was an old school football manager who believed in 4-4-2.

Some of my favourite memories were him down our ground watching myself, Mark Leah and Barry Moyle doing the pitch. Upon seeing Mark and Barry one sunny afternoon using a pair of scissors to cut the grass around the goal mouth shouting "Its bloody ridiculous, you lot are taking it to the extreme, you only need to cut a pitch twice a year, keep it long slow them down". Prob explains the state of Lanners pitch. :)

I hope the local footballing community in the area will join us in holding a minutes silence for Tony Rowe this Saturday.

RIP Tony. You will be sadly missed at Carharrack AFC.

Very very sad to hear this terrible news.I was only speaking with him before and after the match when i reffed down at Lanner a couple of weeks ago.

Got to know Tony when he was manager of a successful Treliske team many years ago,then he came down to Chacewater before managing other local clubs.He always had time to chat about football whenever you met him.

Another of football's characters to have left us.RIP Tony and condolences to his family and Lanner FC from all at Chacewater FC.

Just like to echo all the lads on this sad loss. I used to work with Tonys brother Brian who sadly passed away earlier in the year as well. Never played for Tony but always seemed to score quite a few against his teams and he was always good as gold about it after. A real football man. Condolences to the family from myself, Shaun Gray and Mike Counter.

Tony was a real gentleman and his team talks were legendary had lots of success with Both Chacewater and Carharrack before moving on to Lanner, will never forget his face when we at Carharrack beat a unbeaten Chacewater in the Dunn cup final, I think he slept with the cup for a month before returning it , great servant to local football especially Lanner. Will miss meeting up with Tony every now and then, R I P mate

John, are you able to tell me the trophies Tony won whilst a manager?

Not entirely sure now Richard maybe soccer follower could help with the chacewater side of things . I believe he won the Arthur Pearce cup although it might of still been the torch cup then . I also know he won the Dunn cup once but I think it won it twice . Can't remember if he did win mining one with carharrack as they won it many times around this time . The early nineties seems a long time ago . I do remember him turning up for that Dunn cup final and telling us ten minutes before kick off ' let's try three up front against this lot tonight and see what they make of that ' . Twenty minutes into the game we were winning 4-0 . Not a bad decision