Cornwall Football Forum

Whats makes a big club??

Guest Chris B

Surely has to be success related doesn't it?. That's why in the modern pro game I think it's wrong that Chelsea call themselves a big club. They have money but their fan base is poor and they have won nothing really before the Roman era.

Surely clubs such as Bodmin, Blazey, Falmouth could all consider themselves big clubs down here?. Sorry if i've missed a few but my knowledge of senior footy is not as vast as many of your's.

Guest The Seahawk

I personally think a club that has had a history of success and not just won the odd season or 2. Teams and games people will still be talking about on this forum in 20 years time. Also the growth the facilities and how the club has expanded over the years and also what it has done for the local youth and community. :yahoo:

By that definition would you call Marazion Blues a "BIG CLUB" as in the 70's they won the Combo League twice, were 2nd once, 3rd twice and 5th once.

They won the League Cup twice as well, but where are they now. Are they a big club or does history only go back a few years?

If so, Penryn Athletic have been the best side in the Combo ever, but haven't done much in the SWL since being in it from the start of the 2000/01 season. Are they classed as a big club because of their past?

If you say yes to that then so should Marazion be classed as such due to their history not present circumstances.

Going on the Marazion Blues approach then St Agnes must be a Big club from its very long history and recent successes in combo league etc....but we have also had successes in youth leagues and junior leagues - maybe that also counts us in as a Big club in Cornwall - perhaps the number of teams or Charter Standard Development Status makes us a Big club - maybe having mini-soccer, girls, ladies and 2 x veterans teams makes us a Big club - we are certainly not a Big club because of our financial status but as with lots of clubs we work very hard at that. We are not a Big club in space or assest but I think what makes us a Big club is that we all try to work together to provide football for all ages, shapes and sizes with all kids welcome of all standard. I am not sure that a Big club is made only by its success on the pitch but more by the work and effort that goes on behind the scenes not just to achieve that success on the pitch but to provide an environment for all.

i think any club that has been in and around the swl (swpl) for the past 20 years or more should be considered a big club, i dont see how any club that wins the combo or finishes in the top 5 a few times is a big club as its not even the top flight of cornish football.although i do understand the standard of combo has dropped in the last 10 years or so.

lets be honest is there a big football club in cornwall . its a rugby county Cornish pirates Redruth Launceston get crowds in the thousands every week and all three are in the top forty clubs in the country . im a football fan and wish that it would change and we could have a big club in cornwall but it wont be for years if ever at all

A Big Club is like Falmouth Town who have the history and tradition and are starting to live up to their potential as sleeping giants. Truro City are a big club now but only for kevin Heeney but i think they think they are cornwall. dont they play in red not white?

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Here are the top 5 most successful SWL clubs (not including cup comps). Thats 50 odd years of league history.

1 St Blazey

2 Falmouth Town

3 Newquay AFC

4 Wadebridge Town

5 Truro City

Would anyone call Newquay or Wadebridge a big club compared to the other 3, probably not. But those 2 are big when compared to Dobwalls or Wendron.