Cornwall Football Forum

I THINK EVEN THOUGH ITS THE RIGHT WAY TO RUN A CLUB AND WELL DONE PZ ON THIS RESULT . ITS UNFAIR ON PENRYN 2NDS THAT THEY HAVE HAD TO PLAY AGAINST SIDES ALREADY THIS SEASON WHO BLATANTLY LOAD UP MIDWEEK. THEY ARE ARE A VERY GOOD COMBO SIDE WITH A TOP BLOKE AS MANAGER AND ITS A LITTLE UNFAIR I FEEL EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT THE RIGHT WAY IF PEOPLE GET MY DRIFT 4 PLAYERS IF THEY AINT FIT GET THEM DOIN MORE FITNESS THEMSELVES. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE FITNESS OF THE REAL 2NDS ON SATURDAY?????????????????????????

If we didn't use the first teamers tonight we wouldn't have had 11 players fit to play.

On Saturday our manager had to come on for an injured player. Sad to see our 2nds in such a state. Need 2 new centre backs who can head the ball and 2 strikers who can hold the ball up and also head it.

Playing Porthleven at Gala Park on Saturday, gonna be so one sided. Might be a rugby score of goals as well.

NOT SURE BUT IM LOOKING AT THE FIXTURES PORT AND PZ 1ST TEAMS NO GAMES COULD BE INTERESTING......... NOT KNOCKING IT IT BUT Y SHOULD SUCH A BIG CLUB AS PZ HAVE TO HAVE THEIR BEST PLAYERS PLAYING TWICE A WEEK TO KEEP 2 TEAMS RUNNING ITS EMBARRASING!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree with you. You'ld think youngsters would be falling over themselves to come and sign on.

Perhaps because Mousehole and Hayle, who are on our doorstep and in the same SWPL Div 1 West there are not enough quality players to go around that are combo standard. Plus Pz Reserves don't pay like some local teams.

Guest Black&White

Totally agree with you. You'ld think youngsters would be falling over themselves to come and sign on.

Perhaps because Mousehole and Hayle, who are on our doorstep and in the same SWPL Div 1 West there are not enough quality players to go around that are combo standard. Plus Pz Reserves don't pay like some local teams.

Pretty much Nail, hammer & head, CTB.

I think the lack of a successful youth policy of our own over the past decade or so has also hit us hard. We should be bringing more of our own players up through the ranks, ideally to bridge the gap between junior football and the step up to Combo. Mousehole have done this very well, and are currently reaping the benefits, so well done to them.

Players like one of the goalscorers last night, James 'Silky' Street, who played for the club at every age group from U12s upwards, has a great attitude and will always give 100% for the club, but few of his type have come through since.

Let's hope that with the newly formed U18s side that may be about to change for the better.

I did say they were replaced by reserve players.

What we found for once the reserves in the team upped their game. I must admit I was totally surprised by that as they don't shine out usually (no disrespt to those players). Usually we find at Pz, especially those that watch the reserves, if we put in first teamers they seem to ge down a level and not stand out. I've posted time and again that putting in one or two first teamers into our reserves does not work. In the Combo players don't get the time on the ball that they had in the old SWL plus they don't like the kick and run, or ball up through the middle type of play.

Im not sure of my facts so apologies, but I fear for sides such as my own who play in the combo league but dont have a team below them to call players from when short....

Of the 20 sides, I assume all 14 first teams have a reserve side to call upon when required ?

Of the 6 reserve sides, how many have a thrid team to call upon ?

In the case of Newquay, we will always lose our better players to the first team when they are short which hurts our own chances but I would only ever call upon 1st teamers when I didnt have enough 2nd team players to call upon - just as Penzance claimed they did midweek. What 2nd team player will stick around getting no games a week when his superstar team mate is gettting 2 games a week for both sides !

Well done Penzance...I know how it is to struggle at the start.... a few years ago Newquay's first win came on a wintery evening in late November at home to Culdrose ! Boy the beer tasted sweet that night.

Guest Doomer17

what a load of rubbish! Never heard anything like this at all. P/z get a result, and ooh here we go lets try and scrutenise it!

First of all, yes there was 6 or 7 first teamers playing(one of which hasnt kicked a ball all season, the other of which was subbed reletively early in 2nd half) There is 2 sides at p/z, when the 2nds are short, or visa versa, the other team helps. As Cornishteddyboy stated our managed had to come on last week at culdrose, we had 12 players. We do have injuries and without a couple of first teamers, we again would have had a bare minimum. Were also lacking(again as cornishteddyboy stated) a striker to hold the ball up, and perhaps bang in 15/20 a season. Luckily a first team striker came in to help, which helped towards the win. I can understand what you are all saying, but it sounds to me like you are all enjoying p/z at the bottom of the combo league losing 6/7-0 each week too much!We've got one result guys, maube congrats are due more than slating it

Would rather not be drawn into the debate but must state that the policy at Penzance is - and has been for a long time - that players represent the CLUB in whichever team they are selected to play for. Incidentally, there was only one player in last nights team who regularly played SWL football last season - Dan Magee - who at the tender age of 18 is still learning the game and was there to prove what he could do in central mid-field rather than on the flank ..... whoops, I've started to "defend" the situation when really there is no need to!

Guest Postie Pidge

There were 3 in the Falmouth team: Darren Burchell, Ben Goldring and Steve Sims. These were 3 players who were subs in the Hallen game, with Goldring coming on in the 89th minute and Sims not playing at all. With an important cup game at Mousehole on Saturday the game gave the trio a game to keep them sharp should they be included.

Guest Helston Patriot

I think you guys who have 2 snr teams are lucky that you can drop players down without the hassle of reinstating players and then only limited to 2.. Atleast at alot more players will get games and stay match fit/sharp!!

Guest Sport Lover

I know u said "some" local teams pay and PZ reserves dont. Mousehole dont either.

If PZ looked after some of the youngsters they have had in the past wouldnt they have enough players now?

:unsure: it seems to mo to much emphasis is on money being paid! if the club thinks it warrants it and the player is good enough surely that is up to the club and the players concerned the people complaining are either jeolous they dont get paid or that their club cant afford to pay. players are only human if they get offered money for doing something they love why should they say no????

Guest Sport Lover

I dont think too many people really care why he moved Dave, I just think its unfair of HP to acuse my son of moving away from Helston because of money. The real reason is, he didnt feel he would get a proper chance with Helston as Winno was taking over as player manager and Winno is a goalkeeper. He then had a chance to play at Mousehole, a league higher than Helston and was asked to be first team keeper. It was made clear there wasnt any money available for him but that didnt affect his choice. At the moment with Mousehole flying high it seems to be a good move, time will tell though.

Good luck to Helston for the rest of the season.

We did indeed lose 2-1 in a "pre-season friendly" but thats exactly what it was for us!!

Fantastic start to the season HP and everyone at Helston...keep up the good work and hope that you might be in a position to join us next season!

Just a thought....you mention finances as a reason for withdrawing your application to the SWPL.

How exactly do you mean??

New facilities required?

Travel Expense?

Officials?

Other reasons?

Jeff

FELLAS SOME OF THESE DEBATES ABOUT MONEY REALLY P--S ME OFF. SO LONG AS A CLUB CAN BE UPFRONT AND SAY YES WE DO LIKE I HAVE AT HELSTON£10 A PLAYER THEN CARRY ON.

AS FOR IAN WELL DONE TO HIM ANO HIS MOVE TO MOUSEHOLE. BUT I DON'T LIKE THE COMMENT SAYING HE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD A CHANCE AT HELSTON. I SPOKE TO HIM AND TO YOU AND TOLD YOU BOTH THAT IF IAN WAS PREPARED TO COME AND TRAIN HARD AND SHOW ME HOW MUCH HE WANTED THE SHIRT HE WOULD OF HAD IT...

BUT WE DIDNT EVEN SEE HIM ONCE FOR PRE SEASON TRAINING. THAT DISSAPPOINTED ME AS I WOULD HAVE HELPED HIM TO PROGRESS IN HIS CHOSEN FIELD..... AND YES HE DID WANT MORE THAN£10 A GAME FROM ME????????????

BUT GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

ALSO GREAT TO SEE MOUSEHOLE DOING SO WELL IT SHOWS THAT PAY PACKETS DON'T MEAN ALL.....

Well done Penzance glad to see you got off the mark, if the players are there use them. The problem when you have two senior teams as we have found this season is having enough quality to compete every saturday, when you have to feed the first team, we have great youth set up at Hayle and some good young players have come through it Danny Mc Gee being one of them, but we still have problems on Saturdays competing, as we adjust to the change from junior to senior football, as second team managers i think the only way is to build a big enough squad to cope with loosing players, like Kev has done at Port, (well done mate), but then you have to keep them happy when you cant play them. Like CTB said there are a lot of senior teams in the local area and not enough Quality players to feed them.

• 1 month later...
Guest postman pat

:thumbsup: :yahoo: only a wild guess but are NEWQUAY and PENZANCE in their present position of rebuilding because of their lack of finances?? no bad feelings to either club but it does highlight the fact that even in CORNWALL money talks. on the subject of PENZANCE not having a youth setup surely if you had some sense you could forge links with the excellent youth setup at ALVERTON which if i am not mistaken is right on your doorstep.where do all those boys go after they reach 16.good luck to both clubs they have setups that most junior clubs would die for.dont let the hard work of a few good people go to waste and bring these two proud clubs back where they belong,winning trophys :clapper: