Cornwall Football Forum

defunct grounds

St Erth used to play in Green Lane, turn off between village and Marazion, 200yds on left, tarmaced area, pitch in left-hand field.

Also on the Crowlas to Marazion back road just past the last garage on the left, there is field. I remember a pitch in there, who's was that, was it Ludgvan youth? Only there for a season or so.

Went to St Eval to watch Penzance play RAF St Mawgan a few times. Went up there a couple of years ago and there is only one rusty goal post left now.

Remember going with Pz to play Millbrook away in the early 80's. Pitch was an open field with two or three layers of slope on it, like steps. Our keeper at the time, Peter Collins, before the game was in the top goal warming up and gently rolled the ball out and it rolled all the way to the bottom end.

Can just remember going to Helston's old ground for a Senior Cup and Combo games. I remember the loos were made out of corrugated iron, but you could see over the top of them so when you were having a pee, you wouldn't miss any of the action!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammo- I think that Russell Hall used to play on the left hand side of the road,and over the level crossing,going from Connor Downs towards Carnhell.

PP - Not sure where the tennis club is in St.Agnes but the football pitch used to be in Water Lane,about 50 yards down from Goonbell.

Ctb - I remember that St.Erth pitch,it used to get very muddy at the lower end (the cows on the pitch just before kick off may have had an influence on that) and the team being run by Peter Polkinghorne (i think he was called)

Ludgvan used to play at a pitch where you point out Ctb before they moved to their current ground.I remember it back in the 60's!

ctb I think the game you refer to was a cornwall senior cup tie in I think 1979 It was our last season at that pitch. If my memory serves me right you had the black pearl Eno Udu playing for you.He would have given usain bolt a run for his money.Sorry I did not mention it but I am talking about millbrook v penzance

Remember playing at Shirehorse for Long Rock and getting changed in the shed.  One player had brand new pair of rigger boots that he had worn to work and left them in the corner.  Unfortunately it rained while we were playing and there was a hole in the roof above his boots.  Hence to say when he put his boots on after the game the water shot 3 feet in the air soaking his clothes.

Wasn't the  refs "changing  area" a  blanket  or sheet  hung across the corner of the barn?

when did carharrack move to beauchamp park? it was opened in 1970 for lanner rugby club whose plan was to sell the trees to raise funds.

trevithick fc in 1969 played at crane road
mylor who were reformed in 1970 listed their ground as king george fields which is presumably on waterings road

Thats about right Nigel-I went there in those days when they held a 5 aside fun day at the Gweek Sports club.

Talking of grounds I noticed on my travels today a pitch with goal posts near the top of Mitchell Hill in Truro.

It was situated between the Lowena (learning Difficulties)Hostel and the Magistrates Court.

Is that used by any club?

if long rocks rydal field now hosts a car boot sale then i have a photo of the right site. also have ellis park at hayle.
redruth dynamo did once play at strawberry lane.
assuming gerrans/st mawes play at halwortha, st mawes then that means treloan lane aka long meadow in gerrans is redundant

yes Noah right about long rock and as for mr birches comment about old boots at least I kept my legs together when in goal lol

Remember playing at Shirehorse for Long Rock and getting changed in the shed.  One player had brand new pair of rigger boots that he had worn to work and left them in the corner.  Unfortunately it rained while we were playing and there was a hole in the roof above his boots.  Hence to say when he put his boots on after the game the water shot 3 feet in the air soaking his clothes.

great days Paul can remember when we had an away game with only two cars my allegro and Steve palmers skoda ( with non working wipers) six in the skoda five in the allegro and Steve Palmer keep stopping and rubbing potatoe over the windscreen to help clear the rain , how that helped I don't know. ? Great days , also Steve's skoda battery was flat on another trip so he had to leave the engine running he got out to ask for directions and ray eddy jumped in the drivers seat and drove off leaving Steve there , hear Steve is still involved in football at madron haven't seen the old so and so for honks hope he is well ?

Shirehorse played in the Amor Shield   for a season at the top of St Ives  behind the Shirehorse   club.  Hoof prints as big as dinner plates , with a pre match warm up of kicking thistles down and  Tommy Clymo shovelling shi.....    manure for roses..
Also  i  remember Long Rock having a season  in a field on the back road between Gulval and Ludgvan?

I think also shire horse lost one game 33-0 if my memory is correct a record at west penwith league , not sure who against

Mousehole 3rds  :thumbsup:  Some game haha

Wasn't the  refs "changing  area" a  blanket  or sheet  hung across the corner of the barn?

Long Rock was far the best haha, couple of wore out caravans & an old bath full of rain water for after the match haha

Nobby Lobb loved that bath. When we had the new changing rooms and showers built, he used to deliver coal and after work he would go to long rock to have a shower.

Mind you at Newlyn Coombe where Mousehole 3rds play, I see they had a problem with tall people getting under the shower so decided to make a hole for them to stand in! :P

St Eval (RAF St Mawgan & st columb res. duchy lge 80s) as far as I'm aware no longer used.

Raf St Mawgan used to play on the top pitch beside the servicemen's houses. The players used to change across the road in the club next to the NAAFI store. If it was raining you could sit in your car and watch as the road ran alongside the pitch. 

Last time I went up there roughly 3 years ago to take some photos, everything looked closed down and the goal posts at the bottom were gone and there was a broken stump of one at the top end. 

Didn't St Columb Minor play at St Columb Recreation Ground when they were in the Combination League? It's where there is that concrete building with doors painted blue. Don't girls/ladies play there now.

Also St Breward used to play in the middle of the village when they were in the Combo before moving to their present ground.

Don't forget the teams that played in the local "Garage League".

Also in the 1958-59 season, a team called Bodmin PHH played in and finished bottom of Division 1 of the Cornwall Senior League.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/A%20Brief%20History.htm

Does anyone know what the PHH stood for. Was it something to do with the Army as there were a lot of Army type teams in the locals leagues at that time or in the previous years.

Didn't St Columb Minor play at St Columb Recreation Ground when they were in the Combination League? It's where there is that concrete building with doors painted blue. Don't girls/ladies play there now.

Also St Breward used to play in the middle of the village when they were in the Combo before moving to their present ground.

Nobby Lobb loved that bath. When we had the new changing rooms and showers built, he used to deliver coal and after work he would go to long rock to have a shower.
Mind you at Newlyn Coombe where Mousehole 3rds play, I see they had a problem with tall people getting under the shower so decided to make a hole for them to stand in! :P

Paul that was not all nobby got up to in the showers at longrock , that was probable why he got his nickname ha ha and what about Pete Crowley and his old style American pick up truck with a sette in the back for people to ride on , great days

• 4 weeks later...

in november 1981, mylor reverted back to their restronguet barton pitch. presumably from the playing field on waterings road by the river (?)

nancegollan's pitch in 1981/82 was described as sloping. is this drym road?

in 1982/83 ruan minor played games at praze gooth which was described as being
1/2 mile from their current ground. does that ring any bells with anyone?

I think Mylor have played football and cricket on the recreation ground in Waterings Road since 1981 but can recall playing on a farm field against Mylor back around the early-mid 70's.

Nancegollan's pitch is alongside Drym Road.

Prazeggoth Lane is on the South side of Cadgwith so about that distance away from their recent ground..

someone did tell me that the old nancegollan pitch was in the field behind the bungalow.

i would assume that the field in prazeggoth lane bears no sign of football being played there?

re j & f pool, did someone mention that they played on the field at the top of horsepool road near the turn off to trevaskis farm? (adjacent to angarrack lane)

re j & f pool, did someone mention that they played on the field at the top of horsepool road near the turn off to trevaskis farm? (adjacent to angarrack lane)

The pitch,as i recall,was just off this junction.When coming from the Camborne direction,one turns left towards Trevaskis Farm and the field with the pitch in was on the left.

in the 1980s it was reported that the locally reknown budock boys club were to fold as their pitch at the glebe was too small. is this a pitch in budock or did they use penryn's glebe?

what was the football lifespan of the glebe at love lane in penryn?

ECPL almost correct Torpoint Athletic played at The Mill in the early sixties and before renting the ground from Torpoint Urban District Council.

When the lease was up for renewal the Rugby Team got to play at The Mill and Torpoint played at Defiance Field - so they switched location both renting from TUDC - however when the lease came up for renewal TAFC had set up a fund raiser known as the 200 club and bought The Mill - thus the rugby club returned to Defiance Field where they still play to day.

The Mill being reclaimed land has also been used for cycle speedway by Torpoint Flyers in the forties, tennis and training for car racing.

So Defiance Field became the home of TAFC for a few years before it they returned to their roots and was bought by the club

I need to check but I think from 1965 to 1969. There are a number of photos in the club house that show the pavilions they used to use to change - though one photo most people think was at Defiance Field was actually at Truro and shows ten players with John Bolton missing as he was still in the changing room.

In those days Torpoint had no club house and went back to the East Cornwall Pub in Fore Street now called the Trott Inn

A few years back they found the receipts from a FA Amateur Cup game - entrance was 3d I think and the gate was over £72 - must have been one large crowd watching behind ropes and no floodlights :0)

Barters your link brought back some memories for me. As a young boy of under ten years old I remember watching Torpoint play at Defiance.They had some good players back then including Barry Stephens.Lou Deardon Johnny Bolton.George Preece and were managed by Les Cardew

Falmouth Docks had 2 'defunct' grounds. There was the Docks Sports Ground, which was a fantastic facility located where the Business Park now is (junction of Mongleath & Bickland Water Roads) which, I think, was sold off late 60's/early 70's. Docks then moved further down Bickland Water Road to Leggo Park which was a bit 'ramshackle' to say the least but it enabled the team(s) to keep going.

torpoint moved to mill field in 1971 when st columba's lease ran out.

falmouth docks sports ground closed in 1972 out of the blue due to strikes and industrial action. people thought it would be a temporary measure but sadly it wasn't the case. a local farmer allowed the docks to lease a field which became leggo park. it meant volunteers working almost around the clock to get it up to combo standard, some starting at 5am but unfortunately by this time falmouth docks were only that in name. the links with the biggest employer in town had gone and the club folded. bickland industrial estate sits upon what was the docks second ground. being just up the road could these two grounds be the closest senior grounds in cornwall?

in 1970/71 perranporth played at cligga and gerrans played at parc an dillon.

• 3 weeks later...

You need a photo host like photobucket. When you've done that you can load your piccies onto their site.

Once you've done that you can click onto your pictures to enlarge them, then click onto direct and it will copy, its now ready to place on the forum. Minimize the picture.

Go to the football forum and go to post, on the post section you will see an image icon, click on, a box will appear, you are now ready to post the image, press and hold the Ctrl key, now press the v key. A series of numbers, letters etc will appear in the window, you've done it !

It sounds quite complicated, it isn't, just needs a bit of messing around until you crack the code so to speak. Pm me if your stuck, but I'm only ever on the laptop in the evenings. Happy photo whoring as they say.